PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy a new compressor!!

aldochina
08-23-2011, 01:44 AM
guys, i got so many projects, and i will never get to any of them until i get properly set up!! i have been wanting to get into PC for awhile now. I got the eastwood hotcoat setup 1.5 yrs ago, and still never used it!! i have an old electric oven, and a large brand new toaster oven. I have a pressurized tank blaster, and a small blast cabinet( which has never been used!!) The only thing i lack is a large compressor for the blasters. my dad has a 60 gallon singe stage dry craftsmen that puts out maybe 11 cfm at 90 psi. I figured i would just set up my blasting stuff there since its just a 1/4 mile up the common drive, but it just never panned out. i have used the tank blaster off that compressor, and it works fine, but there is some wait time while the comprssor recovers. plus the thing is loud as sin. I need to have everything set up here or it just aint gonna happen. So i am gonna purchase a compressor, and set up a nice pc shop right at home. i want to get started on this soon!! So you guys that have expirience with blasting, or just knowledgeable with compressors give me some suggestions. I am def looking for a wet sump 240v 60 or even 80 gal. i have read that single or dual stage is not that important. what are your recommendation for cfm? considering my dads craftsmen that pushes 11 or so runs alot when blasting i would think something alittle larger would be better. I have 2 small compressors for the actual pc ing, so this will basically just be used for blasting, and seating tire beads!! thanks for any input.

Dirtcrasher
08-23-2011, 01:53 AM
I'll never buy another Craftsmen. I believe the one I have now is an Industrial air, twin cast iron cylinders in oil, 60 gallons. I'm unsure how many CFM's but it runs my blaster great. Dual stage is truly the way to go, just plan on another 300-500$. I think I paid under a grand for mine.......Best part is it's not a noise maker like the dry piston compressors are.

aldochina
08-23-2011, 02:34 AM
how many cfm's does the industrial air model push?? i was really considering going up to an 80 gallon, but if i dont need to id rather not.

just ben
08-23-2011, 07:25 AM
i picked a 3.2 hp 60 gal. husky pro the other day and I can blast parts until I get sick of blasting. the compressor stay right at 120 lbs. Its under 600.00 at home depot. I got mine only 6 months old off CL for 250.00 :)

Dirtcrasher
08-23-2011, 04:57 PM
^ I wasn't gonna mess around this time. The Husky had poor reviews as did most of the Lowe's compresors, so I avoided them,,,,,,

The Huskys were blowing head gaskets............

aldochina
08-23-2011, 05:22 PM
an 80 gallon cambel and hausfeild just popped up on craigs. it is only a few yrs old, but the guy said someone left the compressor rm door shut on one of those hot days, and the motor stopped running. i am gonna price some 5 hp 230v motors. i can prob get the 80 gallon tank with the pump for 275.00. if i can get a motor reasonable it may be a good deal. i believe they go for just over a grand new.

Dirtcrasher
08-23-2011, 05:55 PM
That name "cambel and hausfeild " is crap.................

aldochina
08-25-2011, 06:14 PM
gonna pass on the cambel, cost around 300 for a decent motor. I think i have it narrowed down to 1 of these 3....

ingersoll rand
belaire
industrial air
they are all 2 stage 60 gallon with 5 horse motors, pushing roughly 14-15 cfm at 100psi. priced right at or above 1000 dollars!
the only thing that concerns me about the belaire is its 100 lbs lighter than the other models.

Dirtcrasher
08-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Might have an aluminum tank which is sweet!

200x350xtriz250
08-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Do you have to have an electric compressor? I bought a Dewalt twin tank compressor with a 5hp motor on it, it runs my Harbor Frieght blast cabinet - the larger one - just fine. I can't just pull the trigger and hold open forever, but you can blast away for quite a while. Bought mine used for about about $450 - new are not that much more.

leevarnado
08-25-2011, 08:20 PM
i bought the kobalt 30 gal.not to good with sand blasting but works really good for everything else,and got a 5 yr warranty.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_221495-14989-LLA1683066_?PL=1&productId=3115861

300rman
08-25-2011, 11:19 PM
That name "cambel and hausfeild " is crap.................

I'll get back to you on that, but im pretty sure the compressor we use at our shop is Cambell Hausfeld. Had it for at least 10 years now, gets used 5 days a week running everything from impact guns to D.A. sanders and grinders. Only ever had basic maintenance and keeps up with a mechanic and a body man.

But I am not 100% sure. I know its either that or Igersoll Rand. Dont really pay attention to the buried in the back corner compressor lol.

aldochina
08-26-2011, 06:26 PM
the cambel and hausfeild name has been around forever, and i'm sure they do still make decent stuff. But most of the stuff they sell prob comes from tractor supply, and the big box stores. I would say they are on par with the husky/craftsmen/cobalt/coleman lines of compressors. the Ingersol rand brand is of much better quality i think. nearly all of the large diesel compressors you see in heavy construction or ingersol's. that would be sweet if the belaire had an aluminum tank, but you think that would add to the cost. And it is a bit cheaper than the rand, and about the same as the industrial!! i am gonna do some more research on it. this hurricane is providing me with 24 hrs of ot this weekend, and 12 of its double bouble!! should be able to pay for my new compressor!! tommorow starts a 7 day stretch of 12 hr shifts for me 7pm-7am. then labor day weekend, and another week of 12's.

just ben
08-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Just wondering why an aluminum tank on a stationary compressor would be any better than a steel tank? they may not rust but they oxidize from the inside out. as far as the huskys I didnt read reveiws on it but I know a friend of mine has been running his everyday for 5+ years and the only problem was the on/off pressure switch but it was replaced under warranty 4 years ago. if you wanna spend the dough get a screw compressor. they will run 120psi with whatever load you can give them and thats without a tank

Tri-Z 250
08-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Northeastern Tool or Habor Freight for mail order...I got a Husky 20gal came with air chisle and two impact drivers for under$300 at the Home Depot. I can't say I use it everyday but I haven't had 1 problem with it so far in 8+yrs. The air hose setup isn't the best. I'd have rather seen a disconnect off the unit but that could be changed.