PDA

View Full Version : HUGE AWESOME News

atctim
08-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Read this article. This is big news for the ATV world. We won!

http://motorsportsnewswire.wordpress.com/2011/08/24/atv-safety-institute-proclaims-the-defeat-of-the-lead-ban-0824116/

Lil Earl
08-24-2011, 04:09 PM
i feel like an idiot, i am kind of confused on what this is saying

playasridebmx
08-24-2011, 04:23 PM
i feel like an idiot, i am kind of confused on what this is saying
cpsc strikes again
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/5/2382/Motorcycle-Article/Lead-Ban-Stops-Youth-ATV-and-Motorcycle-Sales.aspx

but how many kids are actually gonna get down on their hands and knees and chew on the frame of their dirtbike

Lil Earl
08-24-2011, 04:34 PM
o thanks that clears up the problem

Nevkilahonda3
08-24-2011, 04:54 PM
All good steps in the right direction maybe in the future we can get trikes back an 2 strokes back in atvs for sales in the US(I heard 2 stroke e-tecs are cleaner than some 4 strokes out there):Bounce

Jon Boy
08-24-2011, 07:02 PM
how much is this going to affect lifting this so-called "non-ban" on 3 wheelers? i mean is it really going to put things closer to being produced again if the demand is enough?

Chazz of Blades
08-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Yay!

Chazz's Southern Fried Dirtbike Bar&Grill is back in business!

jensenracing77
08-24-2011, 07:57 PM
that is great news! just hope the Chinese don't flood the market with junk youth quads again.

Xpress
08-24-2011, 08:36 PM
^That's to be expected :lol:

how much is this going to affect lifting this so-called "non-ban" on 3 wheelers? i mean is it really going to put things closer to being produced again if the demand is enough?

If the demand is high enough, and companies can see a profit potential, then they may just consider it, but for right now it's not entirely feasible.

atctim
08-24-2011, 09:18 PM

This does not reverse the "no three wheelers" clause in the CPSIA only the youth model ATV and dirtbikes. The 3 wheeler clause will never be reversed I am sure -in the words of the late great John Candy: "you would have better luck playing pick-up sticks with your butt cheeks!"

Nevkilahonda3
08-25-2011, 04:57 AM
This does not reverse the "no three wheelers" clause in the CPSIA only the youth model ATV and dirtbikes. The 3 wheeler clause will never be reversed I am sure -in the words of the late great John Candy: "you would have better luck playing pick-up sticks with your butt cheeks!"
That sucks I bet the 450 trike would have been a big hit just look at all the people on this site who would want one myself included. It just doesn't make sense you'd think that back in the 80s they would have banned dirtbikes instead of trikes but some things in life just don't make any sense.

Tri-Z 250
08-25-2011, 11:52 AM
All good steps in the right direction maybe in the future we can get trikes back an 2 strokes back in atvs for sales in the US(I heard 2 stroke e-tecs are cleaner than some 4 strokes out there):Bounce

Really 2strokes are cleaner for the enviorment...they were deemed bad because they have smoke coming from the exhaust. If you look to the amount of oil and times changed the 4strokes use WAY more oil than a 2stroke. Not to mention the fact that the smoke from the 2storke has little to zero effect on the Ozone. The carbon blow-by from loose valves has a direct effect to the Ozone and the waste with spent oils that don't get recycled. I have said this before the GREEN 2stroke motor is just around the block. Natural oils and additives will be used along with E85 burning motors to put the 2stroke back into production. The ablity to ride each of the motors are night and day so the natural popularity of the 4stroke apeals to the general public....The old theory of the 4stroke motor lasting longer is no longer true when it comes to these highstrung race 250 & 450 MX machines. Companies keep the dealers happy with the need of complete taredowns and lots of parts...It's no simple bore,piston and rings with very little expence to owner anymore. Thanks Tim good read

300rman
08-25-2011, 11:54 AM
That sucks I bet the 450 trike would have been a big hit just look at all the people on this site who would want one myself included. It just doesn't make sense you'd think that back in the 80s they would have banned dirtbikes instead of trikes but some things in life just don't make any sense.

While it seems like the demand for a 450 trike would be great, you can bet your bottom dollar that 75% of the people that would want something like that are on this site already. now take into account that many trikers are riding these old machines because they cant afford newer machines, and you have maybe 25% of the people on this board who would actually buy a production 450 trike. I wouldnt buy one. An ATC500R on the other hand.....

Not trying to offend anyone, but realistically, the sales would be so minuscule, it would be a loss to mass-produce. A small company (like TPC) producing them may do well for itself, kind of like Service Honda but for trikes, but on a mass-production scale, it really isnt practical.

fabiodriven
08-25-2011, 12:13 PM
While it seems like the demand for a 450 trike would be great, you can bet your bottom dollar that 75% of the people that would want something like that are on this site already. now take into account that many trikers are riding these old machines because they cant afford newer machines, and you have maybe 25% of the people on this board who would actually buy a production 450 trike. I wouldnt buy one. An ATC500R on the other hand.....

Not trying to offend anyone, but realistically, the sales would be so minuscule, it would be a loss to mass-produce. A small company (like TPC) producing them may do well for itself, kind of like Service Honda but for trikes, but on a mass-production scale, it really isnt practical.

Very true indeed. It's just not gonna happen.

ironchop
08-25-2011, 12:42 PM
i agree with the above "agreement".....most folks I know who own trikes are either here already or I do tend to find some who aren`t aware of the trike scene online, but rarely....I find myself arguing with idiots all the time about "those things were banned and illegal to own" which seems on par as far of the opinion of the uneducated majority....and most folks can`t be talked into common sense....they prefer to remain arrogant in their stupidity and there`s nothing one can do to change the feeble minds of most who "know everything"

and besides.....like the quad cousins nowadays, any new trikes would be retailing for $8-9K, cost a MINT to keep running like the fourstrokes we have now, and really keep lower income ATVer`s out of the market for new trikes.....just my opinion....I`ll kep my cheaper vintage machines especially my tecate....would like to see a KTM trike but it would retail for 10 grand, I`m sure

Now, in reply to Tim`s post and back on topic, I am happy to see that the efforts of a few have won a victory for many....wether or not it affects trike owners is irrelevant as the intention was to save what we had in the recent past and not so much reclaim what we lost in the distant past

Vealmonkey
08-25-2011, 12:49 PM
I would be surprised that if all the people on here who would want a 450 or 500 trike for that matter would even equal 1/10th of 1% of the entire atv customer base. Then you have the actual people that can pay for such a machine, which is even less. You know how many people who want an atc250r, but can't afford them? Quite a few. You know how many people have asked if one of my Tigers is for sale and then when you tell them a price and then they balk? I had one idiot on here tell me he would give me $20,000 for my Tiger 500. I told him I'd take half of that. That was over a year ago, and I still have the Tiger. There is nothing more annoying than people with Ferrari tastes who can barely afford a Yugo. If you want a 450 trike, pony up the cake and buy the components and build one. Tigers have been posted on here for sale as well as other exotic machines and yet, with all the people who say they would give their left testicle for one, don't purchase them. There are several outlets on here to buy a big bore trike kit, but how many people are stepping up to get them? Step up or keep it to yourself.

Nevkilahonda3
08-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Really 2strokes are cleaner for the enviorment...they were deemed bad because they have smoke coming from the exhaust. If you look to the amount of oil and times changed the 4strokes use WAY more oil than a 2stroke. Not to mention the fact that the smoke from the 2storke has little to zero effect on the Ozone. The carbon blow-by from loose valves has a direct effect to the Ozone and the waste with spent oils that don't get recycled. I have said this before the GREEN 2stroke motor is just around the block. Natural oils and additives will be used along with E85 burning motors to put the 2stroke back into production. The ablity to ride each of the motors are night and day so the natural popularity of the 4stroke apeals to the general public....The old theory of the 4stroke motor lasting longer is no longer true when it comes to these highstrung race 250 & 450 MX machines. Companies keep the dealers happy with the need of complete taredowns and lots of parts...It's no simple bore,piston and rings with very little expence to owner anymore. Thanks Tim good read

Its just like vehicles diesel engines are actually better for the enviroment than gas engines cause they produce a lot less CO2 than gas engines.Now they have a lot more emissions crap witch is good for the enviroment but kills the reputation of diesels being good on fuel cause they are without emissions equipment.Its similar to 2 strokes cause they make smoke so some tree hugger complains about it without knowing the facts and the rest of us who know the truth get screwed.

Grindin' Gearz
08-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Has anyone read some of the comments on that page?! Some of these people are pretty slow in the head, and to think, one of thier kids could potentially end up running this country... Smh

fabiodriven
08-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Its just like vehicles diesel engines are actually better for the enviroment than gas engines cause they produce a lot less CO2 than gas engines and now they have a lot more emissions crap witch is good for the enviroment but kills the reputation of diesels being good on fuel cause they are without emissions equipment on but its similar to 2 strokes cause they make smoke so some tree hugger complains about it without knowing the facts and the rest of us who know the truth get screwed.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/long-run-on-sentence.jpg

Take a deep breath, and try again.

Nevkilahonda3
08-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Yes realistically 450 trikes wouldn't sell in large quantities but isn't this 3 wheeler world? You guys are suppose to be pro 3 wheeler but instead lets keep chopping up 250rs and 350xs.Whatever I'm done.hammer

Xpress
08-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Yeah, seems like some of us are Starburst... A contradiction...

RIDE-RED 250r
08-28-2011, 09:21 AM

Its true, the ETEC system has been a shot in the arm to the outboard and snowmobile 2-stroke market. And they have been tested and proved as clean or cleaner running than a comparable hp thumper. BUT, I really dont see the dirtbike/atv industry going back to 2-strokes after all the R@D, money, and hype they have dumped into the modern thumpers. As good as the modern direct injection 2-stroke can be, they arent going to reverse course at this point in the game. Sad, but true.

jason85atc250r
08-30-2011, 12:04 PM
i agree with the above "agreement".....most folks I know who own trikes are either here already or I do tend to find some who aren`t aware of the trike scene online, but rarely....I find myself arguing with idiots all the time about "those things were banned and illegal to own" which seems on par as far of the opinion of the uneducated majority....and most folks can`t be talked into common sense....they prefer to remain arrogant in their stupidity and there`s nothing one can do to change the feeble minds of most who "know everything"

and besides.....like the quad cousins nowadays, any new trikes would be retailing for $8-9K, cost a MINT to keep running like the fourstrokes we have now, and really keep lower income ATVer`s out of the market for new trikes.....just my opinion....I`ll kep my cheaper vintage machines especially my tecate....would like to see a KTM trike but it would retail for 10 grand, I`m sure

Now, in reply to Tim`s post and back on topic, I am happy to see that the efforts of a few have won a victory for many....wether or not it affects trike owners is irrelevant as the intention was to save what we had in the recent past and not so much reclaim what we lost in the distant past

i just got a leftover 08 ktm 525 xc quad for $7200. By the time you buy all the aftermarket goodies the KTM has stock for your $4500 leftover honda it's cheaper for the KTM. People always complained about them being overpriced but with the stuff there a better deal and handle better. They are way more pimped out them a YFZ450 r models also.

It would make a awesome trike maybe if i clip a tree someday it'll happen. They would not sell enough new trikes to make it worth it for the factories. The quads took over the market even back in 87 honda sold way more quads then trikes. How rare is a 87 200x and you see 87 250x quads all over for sale still today

Stonewall
08-30-2011, 12:30 PM
My leftover '08 420 Honda was $5200 in '09, I think y'all are going the wrong direction with your idea for a modern 3 wheeler. Around here, I see 20-25 utility 4 wheelers for every 1-2 sport 4 wheelers. There would probably be more market for something like a 350 Big Red.