PDA

View Full Version : The last step

jordan_muirhead
08-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Well, tomorrow i have to go take my physical before i start my training classes at the academy Monday, gotta be able to run 200 ft in 16.9 seconds....drag a 150 pound dummy...grip test, climb a ladder...and such....i know it sounds easy, but its the last real thing standing between me and a good job, and i tend to over think things and freak out, or rush and mess up, anybody ever done a series of test like this or have any tips lol? not sure of what to expect when i get there....

bkm
08-25-2011, 11:52 PM
If your in good shape you have nothing to worry about. BTW what academy?

jordan_muirhead
08-26-2011, 12:03 AM
It's in Tucker, Ar. and cant remember the exact name at the moment, and all my paperwork and things are outside in my ride...if i pass this physical ill be working for the Arkansas Dept. of Corrections -Cummins Unit outside of Grady, Ar....probably not the best paying job in the world, but for me it sounded good lol

bkm
08-26-2011, 12:15 AM
No, I meant Police or Fire. But I guess its D.O.C..

jordan_muirhead
08-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Oh, sorry, i didn't know they had different academies, but i guess they would have to if you think about it....i just gotta pay close attention to what i'm doing during the physical, no retries on anything if you mess up, that's the part that freaks me out i guess

bkm
08-26-2011, 12:25 AM
Good luck. It takes a certain person to be a C.O. and you couldn't pay me enough to be one. Those ass holes have nothing to do but think of ways to screw with you 24/7.

dcreel
08-26-2011, 12:30 AM
Good luck.. Try not to overthink things..

coolpool
08-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Attitude, attitude, attitude. If the instructor tells you do re-do a test, then smile and say you'll try harder. There might be a hidden psych test associated with this. Something like military basic trg. Even though you KNOW you did something well, you get shat upon and are made to redo it. Just bear down and try harder. Good luck!

jordan_muirhead
08-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Thanks guys, well, i know its not the most appealing job in the world, but, its a state job, it pays pretty good for around here and also considering I'm fresh outta High School and Don't have any Degrees yet, and i will like having every other weekend off, and i doubt ill have another chance to get a job like this around here. Plus it might help me get a job as a Wildlife Officer after i get a college degree, i guess I'm just having good luck lately, so i hope it doesn't run out during the physical

jordan_muirhead
08-26-2011, 11:03 PM
well................i passed it, cant believe i was worried, the tests were really easy. now all i gotta do is last 6 weeks of classes, which should be simple, right?

dcreel
08-27-2011, 12:13 AM
congratulations..