PDA

View Full Version : volkswagen rabbit

chuckiedog04
08-31-2011, 09:19 PM
anyone have a vw rabbit? not a new one. but the old diesil engine rabbits? they seem to be decent cars, I might get one because i read they get anywhere from 35-60 mpg.
i know someone who has a couple and i might get one from him. I've read a lot of good things about them.

Chazz of Blades
08-31-2011, 09:41 PM
One of the first things I ever drove. They're neat, tough little trucks. I'd recommend one. GREAT starter truck, not bad for light duty, good gas mileage, and PLENTY to haul a trike around.

chuckiedog04
08-31-2011, 10:19 PM
How are they to work on, pretty simple? It seems there isn't much to them.

Chazz of Blades
09-01-2011, 12:55 AM
It's an old VW, parts are plentiful, treat it right and it'll last, and they are dirt simple to work on. I don't remember if they use the same aircooled setup as the bugs, and busses and such, but if so then they are one of the easiest and cheapest to work on or replace parts for. Tuning too.

just ben
09-01-2011, 01:30 AM
It's an old VW, parts are plentiful, treat it right and it'll last, and they are dirt simple to work on. I don't remember if they use the same aircooled setup as the bugs, and busses and such, but if so then they are one of the easiest and cheapest to work on or replace parts for. Tuning too.

so you have absolutely no clue besides you drove one once? yeah same engine you just turn the key an extra click to run on diesel...Duhhhahhh

Chazz of Blades
09-01-2011, 02:16 AM
Do you even have the slightest, non-google clue what this discussion is about?
Did I ever say I had drove one a single time, or had zero experience with older bugs and assorted VW, or are you simply assuming and trying (very hard, I might add) to make an ass of yourself, it's just been a long, slow, and bad day for me with mucho work and little sleep, a man's entitled to a few brain farts every now and then, eh? Now that I've got a bit of caffeine in me I can think half straight. I've a friend who has an '81 Rabbit, and a '75 280Z, both of which I've done work on, just took me a bit to get all my ducks in a row.

The majority of the old rabbit pickups used a gasoline engine, other than the diesel 1.6L(Normally turbo'd too), and the 1.5. They are easy trucks to work on, small, tough built, but utterly gutless in diesel form. Seriously, they are fine for a small load, but with anything in, or on em absolutely gutless if you have to negotiate a hill or any steep ramps. You have to remember that it's still a very small engine, in a small truck, that's 30 years old or around. Excellent mileage though for the limited light duty that they can do, just don't overestimate them. And brain fart earlier, I've been having those all day, I almost forgot to wear pants this morning too, been a bad day.

Really, they're designed off of a car more than an actual truck, they're more in line with an El Camino, or Ranchero than a Ranger or S-10.

sam200es
09-07-2011, 10:14 PM
ive owned two diesel rabbit, three jettas and a gas rabbit, and i run a turbo diesel vw engine in my samurai, they are awesome if you can get past the fact that they are reeeeeally slow or find a turbo diesel one (which they only made in 84) and slap an intercooler on it and turn up the injector pump. other than the speed though, they are very cheap on fuel, like 1000 km/tank (620 miles if your american), reliable if they are maintained, and almost as easy as a vw beetle to fix. if you find one that runs good you should buy it, you will save enough in fuel to pay for it in no time.

Dirtcrasher
09-07-2011, 11:13 PM
My Jetta was 50$ and ran great as well as was super on gas! I loved that car (exhaust fell off, I did not have 300$ to fix it)

Vealmonkey
09-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Diesel rabbits are fine, until you overheat one. They can warp their head something terrible. And not all the heads can be fixed by milling the surface. It was very popular years ago to replace a messed up diesel engine with an easy to obtain gas engine. As long as you accepted a rabbit diesels limitations, low load carrying capacity, slow acceleration which was made worse if an automatic transmission and an air conditioner, then you were okay. Many of the rabbit trucks were overworked by uncaring owners. Those that loved the rabbit diesel swore by them and some still have rabbit diesels. Those that had bad experiences, loathe their existence. LOL There often appeared to be no happy medium. Sadly, the rabbits weren't built with the greatest of metals and they have been prone to body rot and most have passed into history. For the surviving diesels, there are such things as vegetable oil kits so that you can run your rabbit diesel off of old frency fry oil if you wanted to. Some people have bought old blown up rabbit diesels and have gone so far as to install battery kits in them to run off of electric power. I wish I could find a nice rabbit diesel in my area, I would gladly pick it up if it was a 4 speed.

big specht
09-08-2011, 08:23 AM
We have had them too rabbits and golfs all NA diesel you will get where you are going just not in a hury. Just check them over for rust that is a big problem

dcreel
09-08-2011, 08:30 AM
There is a guy near me that has a dozen or so in his yard. Just rusting away. I need to go hit him up for one. They look great layed out.

Check out www.vwcaddy.com for a site about the vw pickups.

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/9088316/163_17z_2007_big_socaleuro_gathering+volkswagen_ra bbit_pickup+front_view.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~vlksdragon/wsb/media/140033/site1406.JPG

Tri-Z 250
09-09-2011, 03:18 PM
I had an 81' Diesel it would just fit my Tri-Z in the back with just enough room for campgear and cooler. I'm 6-2 so comfert was an issue but I loved it. The GTI or TurboD swap is a great mod if needed. Mine was the standard 4 on the floor(stay away from the automatic JMO) 4banger. I had over 250,ooo miles when I gave into body rot and electrical issues. Do to rot above the fuse box on the windshield. GREAT in the snow with good tires...solid 50mile to the gal...but couldn't blow the bonnet off Grammas head. The tailgates are a common swipe item(easy to pop off). People hide em in a trunk cause there so small. It's one of those trucks/cars that grow on you but passengers hate. Mine went to many offroad rides and road trips to see the Dead play.
:idea: I spent more money on beer than fuel now that I think about it when I attended. :lol: