PDA

View Full Version : Changing motorcycle tires

VABCH350X
11-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Can anyone give me any tips on how to change motorcycle tires without a tire changing tool, and without puncturing the tube? Any input would be appreciated.

NOS_350X
11-01-2003, 05:58 PM
i have done this many times. and it seems that cussing alot helps :-D just use large screw drivers and slowly go around it pulling each part one bit at a time. dirt rider did a good piece on how to do this but i cant find it right now to tell you what issue.

VABCH350X
11-01-2003, 06:41 PM
I'm pretty sure I've exhausted all my resources on this one. I can rebuild transmissions, but damned if I can change a tire. lol. Maybe today just wasn't my day. It's a really small wheel, off of a CR60, so maybe that's why everything is so tight. I tried everything I could think of, and I always pinched the tube while seating the bead on the rim. I feel like such a retard. Oh well, guess I'll try some other ways tomorrow.

J.D.
11-01-2003, 08:50 PM
This isn't a real helpful response, but I tried changing tires once too. I did a front successfully, but I got so tired of trying to do the rear I just gave up(after I killed a tube ;)). It is my experience it is just easiest to bring it to someone and let them do it. My local shop charged me $17.61 for a new tube and labor to put it in. Can't beat that in my book.

NOS_350X
11-01-2003, 09:29 PM
dang i would do it for $17 i can change them in about 3 min now. you just gota get a system. and once you got it down its easy

mxc495
11-03-2003, 07:58 AM
The trick is lubrication..... Trying to pry the tire bead over a dry rim is a royal pain. I use dishwashing soap, any other liquid soap will also work, shampoo, etc. Try it, it helps 8)

TimSr
11-03-2003, 09:58 AM
Keep the bead squeezed together and in the center part of the rim on the opposite end of the tire your working at.

Soap is a great lube, WD40 works good for removal, as long as its washed off, and you dont use it for putting it back on.

Captainuno
11-05-2003, 10:36 PM
Ahh finally something I know a little about. Being a old desert rider, I do know how to change tires. First and formost, a good set of tire irons are important, you can pick up a set for 12.00 at any shop, but 2 big flat scewdrivers will work. Like the post above said, lube is very important, and lots of it, dishwashing soap in a big bucket of water. But one secret that I have found is heating the tire as hot as you can in the bathtub full of hot water for about a 1/2 hour (makes them much more plyable) I know, it sounds stupid, but it works. After you get the first bead on and put the tube it, remove the valve core, inflate the tube enough to get all the wrinkles out, then deflated it, this set the tube farther in the tire and aways from the rim. Set the wheel on hard ground and when you get the tire about half on, use your knees to compress the bead toward the center of the rim as you take small bites with the scewdrivers. When taking these bites with the screwdriver, use something blunt, like the butt end of a butter knife(or your finger if your brave enough) to push the tube away from the rim so you don't pinch it as you pry the tire over the rim. After completion, air it up to seat the bead, use more lube so the beads will seat, then reinstall the valve core & air up the tire to whatever pressure you want it.
Good Luck
Kirk

VABCH350X
11-05-2003, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Looks like the old tube was either too small, or had shrunk, because there was no way it was going in with out a fight. Got a new tube, and she went right in with a little dawn and water.

const42
12-15-2003, 03:09 PM
my local shop does mine for 4.00 a tire if I bring the tire in. not worth the sweat for 4.00

Captainuno
12-15-2003, 10:04 PM
I second that, much less the skinned knuckles...............lol

const42
12-15-2003, 10:20 PM
cant buy a tube for that lol if yall need tires I can get them dirt cheap let me know