View Full Version : black and decker fire hazard burns house down

tri again
09-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Neighbor lost his house.
New b & d coffeemaker was turned OFF.
Caught on fire and the rest is history.

dcreel
09-01-2011, 11:34 AM
The wife thinks I'm crazy.. If it's not in use I unplug it.. Phone chargers and electric smelly good warmers.. I unplug them on the way by and the wife looks at me like I'm crazy.. But I'll take a shower in a lightning storm.. lol

tri again
09-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Had a brand new electric whole house furnace go bad.

There's a sequencer relay that, when it dies. it allows FULL power to the heating coils, Not the other way around.

When I called to complain, the tech said some people left their house for the weekend and came back to dead house plants and dog.

They said the dog was old anyway.

House was at 120 degrees
AND they had turned the heat down to 60 before they left.

Now what?
we gotta throw the breakers when we go to the store now?

I DO!!
I shut the water off too.

It's like the FDA, the FDA does not approve anything.
Look at all the probs they have with depression prozak, zoloft etc.
You think you were depressed before? How about those drugs now causing birth defects?

UL / aka underwriter labs also does not approve anything because when cadet heaters or coffee makers burn down houses and THEY tested it, they don't want to be liable.

yupp. throw all the breaker.
MAIN breaker sometimes only kills half the breaker box btw.
Shut off the main water to the house and hit the dunes for a few days.
and not worry if the goddammnable coffee pot is still turned on.

He&^%, that new black and decker coffee maker starts fires when it's turned OFF!!!

Dirtcrasher
09-01-2011, 05:01 PM
My buddies house was ruled burned down from a faulty DeWalt battery charger........

I ALWAYS try to turn that stuff off!!

just ben
09-01-2011, 11:46 PM
My buddies house was ruled burned down from a faulty DeWalt battery charger........

I ALWAYS try to turn that stuff off!!

hmm funny. also made by black&decker

ama009
09-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Man! you guys are scaring me. lol. I'm going to start turning all that stuff off.

tri again
09-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Yupp, from mandatory FDA to UL Labs and back to medical.

FDA requires whichever company to 'prove' their stuff is safe. FDA does NOT test stuff.
Sometimes they use employees in the lunchroom for their 'studies', and they're always gettin' busted for falsifying
'test results'.

UL labs listing is required to be able to sell anything over 12v and 8 amps, which is why damnnear everything we buy has a godbless'ed adapter.
It bypasses the UL Labs requirement....the adapter manufacturer is liable.

UL is full of recent engineering students paranoid for their jobs.
A fun place to work because they get to blow stuff up but I wish they could be held accountable for their screwups.

Mosh
09-02-2011, 01:19 PM
You can't go through life worrying about every little thing.
You will drive yourself nuts, or eventually worry yourself into an ulcer or Hi blood pressure.
Some, people worry about their safety so much, I wonder how they can cross the street to check their mail.

SYKO
09-02-2011, 08:43 PM
I agree mosh... let the sh*t burn! hell I could only hope that would happen here black and decker you say? hmmm....time for a new coffee maker looks like black and decker is going to be my choice!

atc007
09-02-2011, 09:53 PM
^^^^110% agreed ! ^^^^^

Dirtcrasher
09-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Agreed....... Just try to be a hair safe and maybe you won't die so easy.

just ben
09-02-2011, 10:54 PM
I agree that prevention is key. but what do you do? unplug everything before you leave or go to bed? Or throw the main? common sense goes a long way as far as prevention whether its fire prevention or brain damage ,death or paralysis prevention

Dirtcrasher
09-02-2011, 11:00 PM
I don't trust the chargers, try not to leave them on for days and look both ways before crossing the road......

NEVER ride one of those three wheel contraptions :lol: :D

just ben
09-02-2011, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE=

NEVER ride one of those three wheel contraptions :lol: :D[/QUOTE]

I think you are talking about them pedal taxi things in NYC. I wouldn't ride on one ethier, have you seen the the traffic there? plus I would just feel bad for the lil Asian guy pedalling

Rollingmenace
09-03-2011, 12:20 AM
I think you are talking about them pedal taxi things in NYC. I wouldn't ride on one ethier, have you seen the the traffic there? plus I would just feel bad for the lil Asian guy pedalling

plus we all know what they say about asian drivers... LOOKOUT

tri again
09-03-2011, 02:22 AM
funny home videos tonight just had two little kids on electric playschool type trikes crash into each other.

What safety agency missed that opportunity?