PDA

View Full Version : Strange leg fracture. Lost another triker/biker.

tri again
09-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Local bike shop guy got a side job with some trucking company.
Bike biz is down for various reasons, but son and wife are keeping the shop going.

Anyway, he fell off the lift gate and broke the femur right near the hip joint.
They put a rod and screws in.
ok so far.
A couple days later his abdomen started to distend. Belly bulge.
Thinking he had a bowel obstruction, they did a gi imaging and found nothing wrong.

A couple hrs later he was pronounced dead.

Bad fractures can throw bone marrow, kinda like blood clots in the wrong place, if there is one.

Wonder what they missed?

atc007
09-03-2011, 09:07 PM
I have to ask,,are you a DR.? What specialty if so? I think you're a Trauma doc : ) ... That is a dam shame about the bike guy.... So sad...

Dirtcrasher
09-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I guess they missed being a professional...............

tanks350x
09-03-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm no expert by any means but, when you start talking his abdomen being distended.. That, nine times out of ten, means a ruptured spleen, or pancreas... My landlords g/f just went through that. she went to the alpine slides in N.H somewhere. She was half way down and it started raining, the sled gained speed, it hit bottom and launched her out of it. She landed on her side close to 30 feet away from the sled.. She was in the hospital for almost 2 weeks, and now she is at her parents house with tubes still in her abdomen.... ouch!!! poor girl...what a lawsuit she will have though! :naughty:
Sorry to hear about losing another fellow triker though,,, so sad

86T3
09-04-2011, 01:03 AM
What a law suit. The american way.

Chazz of Blades
09-04-2011, 02:01 AM
Blah, it's all these jagoffs filing suits for every single papercut they get that has damaged the Honor of the world, and there's a prime example two posts above me. Not the slide company's fault in the least if you want to go down when it could rain.

Eh, that's the reason I could never be a lawyer, or a politician. Too fair and honorable.

tri again
09-04-2011, 12:09 PM
I have to ask,,are you a DR.? What specialty if so? I think you're a Trauma doc : ) ... That is a dam shame about the bike guy.... So sad...

you nailed it, started in er, on to medical design, injury prevention for big companies, in charge of backstage medicine 11 years and mixed in alternative, chinese medicine and acupuncture type stuff.
National board radiology and now?

Can't hide from reality and patients in the supermarket or wherever I go
so I just stay on the farm and fix trikes and old tractors and try to limit my exposure to heartache.
Treat patients for free a few days a month because I can
and
aspire to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Yeah, I guess the take home message is to never assume a fracture is just a bad break.
Keep everyone thinking.
Our last loss was that national contender bmx kid that crashed for the thousandth time,
sat up, took his helmet off, started to remove his vest and THEN fell over (broken neck).
Died 2 hrs later from inflammation compression of the brainstem.

A syringe of prednisone from the farm store could've stopped the damage process.

See why I 'retired'?
Feel like my hands are tied and trikes and tractors don't usually cry or call me in the middle of the night.

atc007
09-04-2011, 08:59 PM
My hats off to you 100% . I have had my life flipped onto it's side Forever,,depending on DR.s ,nurses,and researchers. My hat is off to you for 10000 things,,the time it took to be a Dr. Having lives in your hands everyday,,being asked to be perfect,,when noone is. Something very impressive to hang your hat on! Thank you for your service! If you ever get back East,,I'm only a ways down from NY. I too have way too many 3wheelers and Tractors!!

pudge
09-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Local bike shop guy got a side job with some trucking company.
Bike biz is down for various reasons, but son and wife are keeping the shop going.

Anyway, he fell off the lift gate and broke the femur right near the hip joint.
They put a rod and screws in.
ok so far.
A couple days later his abdomen started to distend. Belly bulge.
Thinking he had a bowel obstruction, they did a gi imaging and found nothing wrong.

A couple hrs later he was pronounced dead.

Bad fractures can throw bone marrow, kinda like blood clots in the wrong place, if there is one.

Wonder what they missed?

sounds like a fat emboli to me, may have had ischemic bowel, then threw a PE, pretty sad stuff

300rman
09-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Its always the dumb stuff that kills people.....Enjoy life guys, never know when your time is up!

All we can do is try to stay safe

tri again
09-25-2011, 01:58 PM
sounds like a fat emboli to me, may have had ischemic bowel, then threw a PE, pretty sad stuff
Good call.!!
Hat's off to your vision.
I'd want you on my team, for sure.

The hospital, who can't seem to find records now, said GI was clear with barium and CT,
released him a couple hrs before it was over.

Hmmm...can't find the records...hmmm.