PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Honda 250ES mess

tripledog
09-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Hi, folks. Looks like you have a good site here, and I feel lucky to have found it after a short google search. I recently purchased a 1986 Big Red 250 that has seen more than a fair share of abuse. The kid I bought it from was asking $350 for it, but after I looked at it and pointed out numerous flaws and missing parts, we agreed on a price of $150 (I figured I could part it out for more than that, if need be). I have never owned an atv before, but I have owned over 40 motorcycles, and currently own 7 bikes. I hope I can bring this trike back to life. So far I have purchased a new plastic tank, a nice straight set of footpegs and rear brake pedal, new hand levers and perches, new brake cables, and many other parts. Definitely putting the cart before the horse by buying parts before the trike is running, but I am confident it will be a worthwhile endeavor. Looking forward to riding the Big Red this winter here in Central New York...

jeswinehart
09-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Welcome aboard tripledog !
There is a huge list of folks that own the 250 Bigreds on here (me included). Many are from your home state. Over all lots of trikes in New York state, lots !
Pictures please when you get sorted out to do so.

john

MonroeMike
09-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Welcome to the site. http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/atc250es-85-87servicemanual.pdf

tripledog
09-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks for welcoming me, guys. I have a few questions, but I don't have permission to post to the tech section (yet). My biggest concern is that my 250 Big Red is able to roll backward while in gear (maybe this is the reason for the parking brake?). Sure hope my transmission or differential isn't toast! Haven't gotten it running yet, but I finally have spark, and it has great compression. I am getting anxious to ride...