PDA

View Full Version : 1986 honda 250sx rides very rough

hotroddal
09-18-2011, 04:17 PM
i have a 86 honda 250sx the thing rides like a lumber wagon, i have adjusted the rear shock as soft as it will go, i dont see any adjustment for the front shock, just wondering what i can do to get it to ride a bit softer, i'd really like to change out the rear shock to a beteer one like on a 250r or 350x or 200x has anyone done that before, i aint scared of a little fabrication either. thanks Dallas

Headsup
09-20-2011, 11:24 AM
U might want to Rebuild up your front forks, Seeing that they do not adjust. Usually the springs get worn out. As for the rear, Mine is set at the Total opposite, All the way up, Seems pretty soft. Also sorry no idea about the 350x or 250r.. Pretty sure the 200x might fit, Idk...

dougspcs
09-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Tires is the issue you are having.

The modern replacement tires are usually 4 or 6 ply construction which takes the stretch out of the sideway..firms up the handling and stops the soft tire roll feeling when you turn. But also takes away from ride comfort..

I rode my buddy's 250sx the other day which still has the original stock tires..felt like I had a marshmellow under my ass compared to mine with the bearclaws!!

You can only get so much suspension travel on the shaft drive machines because the U-joint can only bend so far..

Lower the tire pressure to 2-3 PSI..if you still don't like it replace the tires with some classic soft-sided knobbys.