PDA

View Full Version : 2 Cycle Oil Mixing Ratios Question

DasUberKraut
09-19-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm hoping someone can help me with this.
I have a 1967 Eska Golden Jet 3 hp outboard motor. It had a Tecumseh powerhead on it.
It requires a 16:1 mix. My brother was telling me the other day that the newer 2 cycle oils you only have to mix it to 40:1 and it will be sufficient in older motors. Something about how the newer oil does the same job with less? Has anyone heard about this?
I'm tempted to try but I don't want to burn out my antique motor. 16:1 mix gets spendy!!!

Swinger
09-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Your brother is right but I would recommend using only a marine oil for your out board. There are many to chose from some cheap some not. I used to use the same stuff I put in my T3 just because I love the way it smells when its running and a marine mechanic told me to only use marine grade or could damage my motor. Didnt ask why just took his word for it!

DasUberKraut
09-19-2011, 04:00 PM
I think the last time I bought oil it was Penzoil because that's all that was on the shelf at the small town gas station I had to stop at. The Penzoil said it was ideal for all outboards, chainsaws, cycles, and what have you. I now have a brand new jug of marine grade oil (forget the brand) that was given to me by a friend that upgraded to a 4 cycle outboard and no longer needed to mix. Thankyou for the response T3. When I finish off this gallon of 16:1 I will try a gallon of 40:1 and see how that runs.

just ben
09-19-2011, 04:51 PM
slow down bud, is the oil a synthetic or coventional? with a synthetic it would definatly be safe to run at 40-50:1 but with a conventional I wouldnt run less oil than 32:1

Swinger
09-19-2011, 05:40 PM
I think most marine oils are synthetic but could be wrong

DasUberKraut
09-19-2011, 06:32 PM
my new jug is Quicksilver Marine. Didn't notice if it's synthetic or not.