PDA

View Full Version : 350x clutch hop up

baycitysteve
09-22-2011, 09:24 AM
i see some of you guys having 350x clutch slipage .. so here is the way to fix this for ever and it's easy pezie .. take both your inside presure plate and outside one and have them machined a little thinner the add one extra fiber and one extra metal clutch plate with your hd springs and you will have a bullit proof 350x clutch ..

SWIGIN
09-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Not quite......

We have done that to my buddys 460cc 350x motor and it still would eat a clutch every 3rd ride.

We talked to many of the top motor builders and the secret is VERY heavy clutch springs. He is still on the same clutch for well over a year now.

The extra disc thing might help but thats not the main problem.

leevarnado
09-22-2011, 08:55 PM
swigin,how much for a set of those hd springs you talk of.

Not quite......

We have done that to my buddys 460cc 350x motor and it still would eat a clutch every 3rd ride.

We talked to many of the top motor builders and the secret is VERY heavy clutch springs. He is still on the same clutch for well over a year now.

The extra disc thing might help but thats not the main problem.

baycitysteve
09-22-2011, 11:09 PM
what do you think the main problem is ?? only 4 clutch springs or something else ?? i have a 486x stroked and poked in a quad witch is heavier than a 3wheeler and i never have clutch problems and i race the crap out of it and trail ride it once in a while !!

SWIGIN
09-27-2011, 04:33 PM
swigin,how much for a set of those hd springs you talk of.

The last set we got were $120.

SWIGIN
09-27-2011, 04:41 PM
what do you think the main problem is ?? only 4 clutch springs or something else ?? i have a 486x stroked and poked in a quad witch is heavier than a 3wheeler and i never have clutch problems and i race the crap out of it and trail ride it once in a while !!

His 460 is in a quad as well, but as you know cubic CCs arn't everything in determining HP or torque.

I have gone over this before but I have tested a ton of springs and found that stock clutch springs are normally in the 50# range, normal HD springs are 75#, and the ones needed to stop my buddys problem were 150# each.

I don't want to name names but top engine builders in the past used to get custom super HD springs made for there big bore stroker motors.....that means something to me.

beets442
09-27-2011, 04:45 PM
I've machined washers down and added them to the springs.

Dirtcrasher
10-22-2011, 07:34 PM
^ That doesn't do anything more than preload them; Not the right solution IMHO...

They still are not strong enough to keep the stack together without slippage.

Tecate performance
11-04-2011, 10:15 PM
I run new honda friction and steels with fst springs, no problems in race conditions, flattrack and ice racing. Engine size varies 450-515, est. torque 35-38 at the wheels. Clutch pull is excellent as well.