PDA

View Full Version : Honda 200s as a commuter to work?

jamesdbayer
09-26-2011, 10:27 AM
I have found a Honda 200s on craigslist and am thinking about buying it and using it as my commuter for work over the winter. I live in Royal Oak Michigan and drive to Dearborn each day (20 miles). In the summer I ride a 50cc scooter, but the winters here make a 2 wheeled ride impossible. I think it would be a lot of fun to ride a 3 wheeler. Looks like all I have to add is blinkers, a horn, and mirrors to make it street legal. I would use a GPS as a speedometer. Has anyone done anything like this? I also have a chance to pick up a Big Red 200es. Would that be a better bike?

Your guidance would be helpful.

JD

oldskool83
09-26-2011, 10:44 AM
um....call me crazy but i dont think you can ride onthe road last time i checked.

fabiodriven
09-26-2011, 11:11 AM
um....call me crazy but i dont think you can ride onthe road last time i checked.

There certainly are street legal trikes out there and depending on where this guy lives they may have laws regarding ATV's being street legal during the winter months.

To the original poster, you should have posted this in the Trikesylvania section. That's OK though, you're new.

The ES would probably be the better machine for what you are describing but the S is tried and true as well and would probably do almost as good of a job.

EDIT- Street legal ATV's in metro Detroit? Better look into that real carefully...

Adam Hyland
10-02-2011, 11:20 PM
i have a street legal atc/xl500r but i do wish my atc200 was was legal on the street

sweetip2000
10-03-2011, 12:46 AM
I spoke to a mechanic who builds custom choppers in NY and he used to have a kawasaki prarie ATC back in the day, he told me there is a way to make the ATC street legal.
You need to have to DOT approved tires. He said they kinda look like golf cart tires.
You need the lights and turn signals. How you will go about getting a registration and a title might be by claiming its a custom vehicle.

sweetip2000
10-03-2011, 12:48 AM
LoL look at them beefy baja head lights ..... I like it !!

Adam Hyland
10-03-2011, 08:42 PM
I am going to order some DOT tires for my ride.
pureoffroad.com/dot_highway_atv_tires.htm