PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on here fly RC planes?

Midnite_rider
09-28-2011, 12:04 PM
I am about to start a new hobby, (like I need a new one). I am going to start flying RC planes. I have one on the way to me now, should get it saturday. Its a used one that I bought for almost nothing. The guy is moving and just wanted it gone. Its a Piper Cub with a 6 foot wingspan and a .46 OS motor. I have built a few of these about 30 years ago so my relearning curve should be fairly short. Wish me luck.... I am training on a RC flight simulator now to try to get used to flying it so maybe I don't crash on my first day out.

Texaskev
09-28-2011, 12:51 PM
I flew for quite a few years. Haven't in a while. That cub is a slow stable airplane. If you freshen up, like you are on the sim, shouldn't be a problem getting back into it.

Midnite_rider
09-28-2011, 05:30 PM
That was what I was hoping for..... slow and stable.

86T3
09-28-2011, 06:56 PM
I had a trainer that i flew a bit. I ended up loosing signal to it because of some trees and gravity took over. I have a 95% completed super chipmunk with the motor sitting at my parents for the last 4 years. I'm glad you posted this, reminds me i need to get it out to sell. Good luck with it, its a lot of fun.

Big Sal
09-29-2011, 03:22 PM
I was into airplanes for a while, then helicopters (I was terrible at flying them) so I'm back to monster trucks, 12th scale carpet racers and 1/18 micro's...

just ben
09-29-2011, 04:05 PM
funny you post this 1 day before an attack with rc planes is uncovered. Hmmm J/K I never got into it because I know I would trash several hundred dollars in a matter of seconds. good luck with the new hobby

Xpress
10-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Yes, I have been active for close to 14 years now. You might want to seek out an experienced modeler to look over the plane. Something that old might appear to be good to go, but it may not be structurally sound from the balsa wood or glue joints being naturally weakened.

Otherwise, have fun. Might want to run a couple of tanks of glow fuel through the motor before you fly it, just to wear it back in and to clean it out. These 2 stroke motors can clog up from the residue from the last flight, especially if they have been sitting a while. Don't forget your range checks too, and double check that your batteries are charged ;)

Hell, maybe you decide you're tired of paying $40 a gallon for fuel a few months down the road, and prefer electrics. Sure the learning curve is a bit steep, and you gotta learn some habits, but it's completely worth it, especially with the wide-spread availability of quality an inexpensive chinese equipment. You could electrify that airplane with almost twice the power and flight time for around $150. No mess after each flight, no futzing with your engine in the mornings just to tune it in, no noise, no spending ridiculous amounts of money on fuel, none of that. Charge, plug in and fly :)

I never got into it because I know I would trash several hundred dollars in a matter of seconds.

You're in luck! Horizon Hobby has the Parkzone Champ RTF for $89 out the door, even including the AA batteries you need. It's so small and light that it's hard to break from dumb thumbing it in. The only stipulation is that it hates wind.