PDA

View Full Version : Looking for floor jack suggestions.

fabiodriven
10-04-2011, 09:36 AM
So I do inspection stickers for work. That means all day I am jacking vehicles up. I have my big pneumatic 31 ton jack for the heavy trucks and that works just great. My problem has been finding a good reliable hydraulic floor jack that will actually last. I bought a brand new "Big Red" 4 ton two years ago, and it's ready to keel over any day now. I knew Big Red jacks were anything but commercial grade, but I really needed something at the time so I grabbed it.

I am looking for something that's roughly 4 ton capacity for the pickups and medium duty trucks, and I also want to get a low profile, possibly aluminum 2 or 2.5 ton for the small cars that my current 4 ton has trouble fitting underneath. My boss can be a bit cheap from time to time, but this is a tool that I use all day every day and I don't want to cheap out this time.

It seems to me in this day and age everything made is a giant piece of crap regardless of brand names and price. I'd personally like to find something older that is tried and true, and possibly rebuildable. That's easier said than done though.

Any suggestions?

Jason Hall
10-04-2011, 02:54 PM
All Jacks nowadays are made In freekin China!! You need to find a old Lincoln, or Walker!! They are BAD ASS Jacks! I have a old Walker that was sold as a 1-1/2 ton Jack, but will lift almost anything you put It under. If you do find one, you can tweek the pressure regulator some so It won't bypass as early (will lift more weight). The good old 2 ton lincoln's had a one piece handle. Don't even bother with any lincoln that has a 2 piece handle. Lincoln sold out, the 2 piece handled unit's are chinese made, and they Suck with a capital S. We bought one at my shop, and the swivel that releases the pressure spun the hex off within 6 months. I then stole the hex swivel from my 30 year old Walker (Walker sold out to Lincoln) and used It on the chinese jack until I rebuilt the Walker. Just my opinion, but I speek the truth LOL.

fabiodriven
10-04-2011, 03:31 PM
I was thinking the same thing Jason. I guess I'll just have to keep looking for an older one... Thank you.

tx200m
10-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Hein Werner jacks are made in the USA..or so they say. Havent had my hands on one in awhile tho.

Jason Hall
10-04-2011, 06:55 PM
The Lincoln's & Walkers are getting hard to find. I found a hydrolic rebuilder In northern Ohio called Mill Creek, he finds them used fixes them then sells them. He will sell you parts to repair them yourself also. To bad your so far away :(

fabiodriven
10-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Maybe I can get one on my way to Trikefest!:lol:

I just ordered a 3 ton low-profile unit by Powerbuilt. They're made in New Zealand. I figured as long as it's not made in China, how bad could it be? Now I'm just going to have to keep my eyes open for a nice old jack.

fabiodriven
10-17-2011, 12:34 PM
I must say, my initial impression of the Powerbuilt is a good one. Everything is really tight on it. The wheels roll really nice, good pumping action, good release. I'm thinking this unit may be around for a while. Time will tell.

Dirtcrasher
10-17-2011, 06:35 PM
I bought mine when "BJ's" wholesale came out, about 80$. That was 25 years ago, it still works great! No idea who makes it.

Sears jacks suk and Harbor Freight will get you killed.

Hard to find good tools these days isn't it guys??

fabiodriven
10-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Hard to find good tools these days isn't it guys??

You got that right buddy. Hard to find good anything these days...