PDA

View Full Version : new to this site, first time owner of a 3 wheeler and almost ready retire!!!

GB RODS
10-11-2011, 12:44 PM
HI everyone, just came here to visit and learn. Never have owned a three wheeler or 4 wheeler to date. but found a good deal and took it home. I bought it from a friend. Love to ride and get out there where there are things to see. I am an avid hunter and fisherman, I work in the seed industry for the state of NOrth Dakota. My hobbies are hunting and fishing, but I am really into building custom built fishing rods, I have two turning lathes, and lots of toys that go with this hobby. Other than that, I probably am too old to get another toy to use, but you can only go around once. I really need some help identifying my three wheeler, I know this, it is blue, yamaha, around mid 80's? runs great, and does not have many frills, just a basic machine, no reverse either. I was told it is a 200cc, but I know of no way to verify this much less look for accessory parts that will fit such as a rack, hitch, etc. I hope to be able to post a picture of it some time soon. I have called the local shops and they told me not to bring it near the lot. I found a great guy that works and sells artic cats, close by and he replaced the chain, and oil change and did a few checks and declared it safe to ride. Thought that somebody on this site might have an idea how to identify it, the internet is just a waste of time and effort, all the pop ups, and dead end leads. I have only found one picture of one that resembles it so other than that I just enjoy riding it and putzing around. Any how, hello and good to be able to access this site, and maybe make some friends. GB Rods.

MonroeMike
10-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Welcome to the site. Sounds like a YTM200, post the VIN to be sure. It is located on the frame neck.

GB RODS
10-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Hey thanks for the comeback, I had read that the vin numbers and a letter were associated with the year model. I will take a look and post my findings here for someone to decide what year and model, cc engine size etc. Hopefully it is still legible. GB RODS

GB RODS
10-13-2011, 08:57 AM
I have what might be the vin number on the bike. 1984 yam21v0196 I assume that it is a 1984 model, but from there on in I don't know what the rest means, curious as to the engine size and model. Thanks for the help on this part, I maybe should post this in another of the forum sites to get the feed back on the serial numbers. I guess the moderator will let me know if I need to repost this. Thanks GB RODS

just ben
10-13-2011, 09:03 AM
monroemike will tell you exactly what it is with the vin# I'm sure he will post the results soon

MonroeMike
10-13-2011, 09:57 AM
You are missing some numbers, there should be nine total (ex:21V-000101). There is a serial number on top of the lower part of the engine (behind the cylinder), it should match the frame.
If you are sure it starts with 21V-0, then it's a 83 YTM200.

GB RODS
10-13-2011, 12:12 PM
I'll check tonight or tomorrow, thanks for the tip. GB RODS

250rRoostmaster
10-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Welcome to the board

GB RODS
10-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks guys for the information. took seat off and looked for serial numbers on cylinder head, but no luck, frame is in the way. Question how do I increase the idle speed a wee bit, it runs really smooth but cold blooded and hard to keep running at first, even with choke out, as soon as I try to speed up the idle with throttle, it will kill, but one pull and it is running again. I should explain that is it cool up here in North Dakota, yesterday high was 53 degrees, and low 34, so I was told it was cold blooded, and expected it to be so. Just wondering if increasing the idle speed 25 to 50 rpms would help with the cool running. Looking for a rack for the back to haul light stuff when hunting on the prairies. GB RODS

1985honda280r
10-27-2011, 11:33 AM
is it shaft drive sounds like a 225dx type that in google and look at the pics see if it looks like your trike