PDA

View Full Version : chain saws and fuel??

aldochina
10-12-2011, 12:53 PM
both my stihl saws are running poorly, is there something i can run through them to get them running smoother. they been sitting a few months. i would imagine the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro ethanol gas is the culprit!! i need to use these, and would rather not have to tear into them if it can be avoided.

fabiodriven
10-12-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm guessing you took a look at the air filter? Every now and then I have to take mine off and clean it. Other than that, you're up shite creek Rory.

They sell this stuff "Star Tron". It's a gas treatment specifically for ethanol. People have been swearing by it. Try using that next time.

HuffieVA
10-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Also make sure the "spark arrestor" screen on your muffler is not carboned up and restricting it (can make them hard to start and keep them from revving all the way up) Other than that buy the best gas you can get a hold of. Its definitely the ethanol I have one Husky that I've had for 15 years and one I've had for a year or less (about the same amount of usage every year) and just put pistons in both of them (no cylinder wear but the rings were so gummed up from the corn syrup they put in the gas these days) thanks to the EPA's laundry list of bright ideas...

The Goat
10-12-2011, 01:24 PM
we run klotz in ours with a little cetane. run em out every time, and they usually start the next time they are filled. Up north you can probably skip the cetane, just helps em run smooth when things get stupid hot.

rdlsz24
10-12-2011, 02:54 PM
I don't have a chainsaw but I have a newer Stihl string trimmer and that thing gets pissed and doesn't run worth a damn if the gas in it is more than about a month old, and that's even with Mobil 93 octane.

Rob

fire1
10-12-2011, 03:58 PM
You can add http://mystarbrite.com/startron/ to your fuel.All the small engine and motorcycle shops are selling it here .It has a enzyme that attacks varnish and helps counter act the ethanol problems

tri again
10-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Did they run Great when put away?

I really don't 'like' running them empty just in case of the 2am
storm phone call when it's time to jump and run out with a known working chainsaw.

But all that prevention stuff is water under the bridge.

IF it ran great when put away, it's prob all the stuff about reviving trikes that have been sitting.
Fresh fuel, non ethanol from the local small engine airport, marina, etc.
New plug, check filters.
I bet the carbs are diaphragm carbs so not real float bowl issues per se'.

The other mysterious thing I've heard about is some sort of 'pressure test'
they sell us at the dealership to condemn these 2 strokes to expensive repairs.
Not sure what it's all about...leakdown for seals and intake and whatever snake oil...

If you're like the rest of us, chainsaws you can run out the door with at a moments notice, can save lives.
NOthin' to fool with or take chances on.

Really also not sure why mine (Stihl and Husq) always start or I'd tell you.
Just non ethanol gas, keep 'em full, start once a month and not sure why that works for us.

fabiodriven
10-12-2011, 04:14 PM
You can add http://mystarbrite.com/startron/ to your fuel.All the small engine and motorcycle shops are selling it here .It has a enzyme that attacks varnish and helps counter act the ethanol problems

Is there an echo in here?

fire1
10-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Is there an echo in here?

lol sorry i didnt see your post

aldochina
10-12-2011, 05:28 PM
it is running better now, i drained the gas, cleaned the air filter (was pretty bad) put some fresh fuel in. after awhile of cutting, it would want to stall after full throttle if i just let off abruptly. seemed to have to feather out of full bore to keep it running, then it would idle fine. starts up fine after stalling also. you can not get non ethanol fuel anywhere around me. I believe it is statewide that you can no longer sell it. rediculous!! especially since its costing them more to make the ethanol than they are saving by not buying petroleum!! Its all political with the farm subsidies and all that nonsense, they are so deeply invested now they dont want to abort the whole idea when thats exactly what they need to do!! I think i may invest in some of this startron stuff.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Use Startron or Stabil Marine when you fill your saw gas can at the gas station. I have nearly $2000 tied up into 3 pro grade Husky's I have bought over the last 5 years. I just treat my fuel when I buy and mix the gas so there is always treated fuel in my saws. Never had any problems. Have used both Startron and Stabil Marine with good results. My saws always start right up with 3 or 4 pulls after long term storage... Stabil Marine is blue in color and I think a bit more concentrated than regular Stabil....1 ounce treats something like 5 gallons if I'm remembering correct. I usually administer a double dose to be sure. I dont need to burn up an $800 saw just because of bad fuel!

hoosierlogger
10-12-2011, 06:32 PM
I use 3 MS 660's and 1 MS 460. I use the starbrite marine and 2 stroke oil with a fuel stabilizer. I use them in a rotation. Sometimes they sit for 6 months without being used. I have never had a problem with the ethanol attacking the rubber in the carb or the fuel line. Run some seafoam through them for the first couple of tanks that should clear it up.

4cylinders
10-12-2011, 08:50 PM
hey, run stihl oil, has stabilizer already. east coast gas stations that provide boat gas have ethanol free gas.

fabiodriven
10-12-2011, 09:09 PM
hey, run stihl oil, has stabilizer already. east coast gas stations that provide boat gas have ethanol free gas.

Stabilizer is not necessarily ethanol treatment.

hoosierlogger
10-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Stabilizer is not necessarily ethanol treatment.
I think he was talking about a stabilizer like Sta-bil. Most of the better 2 stroke oils have them in it. It is a really good idea for chainsaws and 2 stroke stuff that sits for an extended period of time.

just ben
10-12-2011, 09:30 PM
if you have a noco gas station around their 91 octane is soppose to be ethonol free

fabiodriven
10-12-2011, 09:35 PM
I think he was talking about a stabilizer like Sta-bil. Most of the better 2 stroke oils have them in it. It is a really good idea for chainsaws and 2 stroke stuff that sits for an extended period of time.

Yes, but even regular Sta-Bil does nothing for ethanol. Sta-Bil does make an ethanol treatment though.

hoosierlogger
10-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Yes, but even regular Sta-Bil does nothing for ethanol. Sta-Bil does make an ethanol treatment though.

I truly think he understands that, given the statment he made about the boat gas. I cant guarantee that everyone else know that though. The ethanol will attack the plastic fuel cells in boats causing them to get brittle and leak fuel. Thats the reason for the ethanol free gas for boats.

Use the star brite additive and you should be golden.

fabiodriven
10-12-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm no boater, but I've heard it's the worst on the fiberglass boat tanks.

300rman
10-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Try SEAFOAM. replacing the gas is a step in the right direction too

aldochina
10-13-2011, 12:45 AM
i have some sea foam , and some techron here. i use the seafoam in my magna in the spring!

RIDE-RED 250r
10-13-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm no boater, but I've heard it's the worst on the fiberglass boat tanks.

Im a boater, and the talk I hear is this: Alot of boats (I/O and Inboard) have aluminum fuel cells. The condensation issue is much worse for boats with aluminum fuel cells than cars and such that have mostly plastic tanks these days.

Another issue would be that the Ethanol is harder on rubber fuel system components, ie hoses, pump diaphragms etc. Last thing you want is a fuel leak in the doghouse of an I/O or inboard. Can cause an explosion.

But give the libs and greenies time, I'm sure they will force E-fuel down our boats' throats too....

I have never heard of a fiberglass fuel cell. Plastic and aluminum yes. Fiberglass hulls, yes. Not saying they dont exist, I dont know everything after all. But I haven't heard of fiberglass tanks.....

The Goat
10-13-2011, 11:10 PM
If you're sure it's ethanol issues... Ring free from yamaha. 27 bucks for a bottle, but one bottle treats an assload of fuel.

Seems to help sportbikes run smoother at stupid high Rpms and saves fuel pumps in rhinos. Dont see why it wouldn't help a saw. I've run it in my car and all bikes, but oddly never in our saws.