PDA

View Full Version : Dog owners... Anyone here use the SportDog 400 E-collar for training?

Thorpe
10-13-2011, 09:07 PM
My little turd-head dog, has developed an attitude lately, and I am feeling the need to be able to re-itterate my point, from a little farther away... Been thinking of the sportdog 400 e-collar. He is trained on a e-collar, but now he likes to exceed the range of the stater P.O.S. I have for him... Any input appreciated!
The little turd head.... 5 y/o shiba inu purebred...

Jason125m
10-13-2011, 09:17 PM
I personally have no experience with them, but i just wanted to say, that is a beautiful dog you have there Thorpe.
What breed is he?

Thorpe
10-13-2011, 09:19 PM
He is a Shiba Inu purebred.... 5 y/o. He is a great little dog, but has the independent streak of a 18 y/o kid...

hoosierlogger
10-14-2011, 05:38 AM
I did the same thing when I bought my e collar. I bought one that didnt have enough range to cover the whole back yard, and the dog knew it. I called it his hearing aid. He wouldnt listen until he had the collar on. If you buy one give us a report on how well it does.

Jerm1179
10-14-2011, 07:30 AM
we use a Tri-Tronic collar. anyone with beagles will understand the need for it. lol makes a world of difference out in the field. we use the one with the warning tone....now we hardly even need to give them a zap...just the tone brings them running! and it has a "mile" range...(out across a flat field). we have had nothing but good luck with it. ours came with 2 color coded collars and one remote with the same color buttons. (just have to remember which dog has what collar lol) Cabelas has a great selection of trainers...good luck! let us know what you come up with

mullet
10-14-2011, 08:44 AM
I also have the tri-tronics (Sport Basic). I trained him so the "warning tone" actually means "here". I annoy myself with how much I yell at the dog and the neighbors must think I'm crazy. If he hears a beep he knows he's supposed to get to where i'm at or he's gonna get a "correction".

I don't know how the heck people hunted with dogs before e-collars! Its the only way I can keep mine in range. I also used it to teach him to stay out of the way of the front of the trike. Roasted him a few times when he was too close to the front tire. Now he usually stays comfortably out in front, lags behind, or stays off to the side, but knows to give the wheeler a buffer zone. E-collars are awesome! Here's a link some reviews on a few of the best/most popular models. http://www.gundogsupply.com/dog-training-collars.html

a picture of my dog "Gil" sporting his Tri-Tronics (that was his first grouse!)

Redlunn
10-14-2011, 05:28 PM
We have the Sportdog collar for our 2yr old lab. I think it is the 400 model. Had it almost a year now and it works great. We hardly ever have to give corrections, just the beep is enough. It has also been on many trips swimming in the lake and no issues. I would recommend it.