PDA

View Full Version : just bought YFZ 450

krizo88
11-05-2003, 02:58 PM
Just picked it up a couple days ago, over all I am pretty impressed with the machine. The suspension and over all power of the machine is better than what I expected. I am pretty new to 4 strokes and I was wondering if it is normal that the head pipe turns cherry red after about 2-3 minutes of running/idling??? Other than that it is very cold blooded and doesnt have a very good turning radius. Maybe I am just used to 2 strokes and three wheelers. Anybody know the top speed of this machine? I will find out this weekend with my friends radar gun, but I was just curious to know before hand. Later

Wickedfinger
11-05-2003, 06:03 PM
Throw us some pics.

ATC crazy
11-05-2003, 06:46 PM
I am pretty new to 4 strokes and I was wondering if it is normal that the head pipe turns cherry red after about 2-3 minutes of running/idling???

:shock: There is something wrong with it. I'd say jetting...but definately get it checked out before any damage is done...

krizo88
11-05-2003, 06:58 PM
I will contact the dealer in the morning, but you would think it was over heating and if it was it has an idiot light that never came on. I will post some pics after I get this figured out. Thanks guys

REDMAN225
11-05-2003, 06:58 PM
i agree...get it checked asap!

350Xccelerator
11-05-2003, 07:56 PM
did you get the blue one or the white and red one?

Billy Golightly
11-05-2003, 08:02 PM
a red headpipe on a 4 stroke is almost always a lean condition in the carb.

350Xccelerator
11-05-2003, 08:50 PM
my buddies 88 warrior does the same thing, what will happen if it runs like that for a long time?

KASEY
11-05-2003, 09:17 PM
i rode with 3 450's last weekend in the dunes,,, they all were cherry red at night from idling,,, maybe a little lean to pass EPA....... i was concerned the owners weren't,,,,

krizo88
11-06-2003, 01:01 AM
I got the blue one because thats all they had in stock ( i wanted the white and red one) but oh well. I took it out again tonight and that thing just bothers me to no end. I started it and it took about 5 minutes of choke and constant reving before it would idle by itself ( at an outside temp of about 35 degrees F). It doesnt smoke at all whether it is warm or cold. So it must be running lean. Then after the warm up and you start riding it the damn thing shuts off when you go to grab another gear or downshift. Then it lets out an occasional backfire. I was told it was "ready to ride". Now if this is ready to ride, why cant I ride the damn thing without the constant worry about smoking the motor??? I have had my 85 ATC 250R for about a year now and have not had a single problem with that. That 450 makes alot of motor noise too, and the chain sounds like it is right about to fly right off. You would think after dumping over 7 grand on a machine you could actually ride it without having to take it back to the dealer the next day. I think I am going to stick with the R. I bought it for the old lady so I cant really say much. But I will let you know what kind of a line the dealer gives me in the morning. I will have somebody post some action pics when i get this pig figured out. Thanks for the input guys! Chris

NOS_350X
11-06-2003, 01:13 AM
thats what you get for buying a yamaha. shoulda waited the extra couple of months and got the trx450r

350Xccelerator
11-06-2003, 01:17 AM
damn that sucks man, good luck.

TeCaTe_MaN
11-06-2003, 01:27 AM
400ex's do that too.....i was at the dunes and i was talking to a guy that was idling out all his gas and i asked him about it and he said it was normal...but i dont own a 4-stroker so i dont know what the deal with that is.... :?

krizo88
11-06-2003, 12:00 PM
NOS- I probably would have waited to get the honda but i am not going to wait untill jan. or feb. Honda needs to get off their asses and get the new stuff out when its NEW not several months after everybody else. I have owned several hondas and love them, but i have also owned several yamahas without any problems either. I just like variety I guess.

krizo88
11-06-2003, 01:21 PM
Alright, got er now, the head pipe is suppost to be red, and the jetting is fine, the only thing I have to do is turn the idle up a little bit (because it idles really low, that why it takes so long to idle by itself during the warm up). And I told the dealer that thing makes alot of noise and he told me that one guy brought his back and had the same problem, so they looked it over and the chain on these machines rubs a plastic chain slide/protector. So that is getting takin off. Pics soon

Dynofox
11-06-2003, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't take the chain slide out, just let it wear in some.

Billy Golightly
11-06-2003, 07:40 PM
krizo88, 450R is in dealerships everywhere December 10th, my local dealership confirmed it off of the Honda dealership network while I was there :-)

bigred110
11-06-2003, 08:45 PM
krizo88, 450R is in dealerships everywhere December 10th, my local dealership confirmed it off of the Honda dealership network while I was there :-)

I've heard that some dealers have them already. But they can't sell them until the release date. Another thing about the R is that it has a kick start and not eletric start.

350Xccelerator
11-06-2003, 08:53 PM
are gonna put any mods on it? if u plan on getting a pipe check this HMF, you can order it in other colors too.

http://yfzcentral.com/members/images/Picture-0019.jpg

Merriman
11-06-2003, 11:29 PM
RED head pipes are the norm on YFZ's. Every one has it, they are not running lean. The stock head pipe is super thin, with a tight bend........

I have a curtis sparks exhaust on my YFZ, and it still turns red right out of the motor. ;)

go to www.YFZcentral.com there is a message board there, and a ton on knowledgable people on there and some good info about the YFZ's

Glad you got the blue one they're alot faster than those white POS's.

Here's my YFZ 8)
http://www.z400central.com/upload/merriman2.jpg

http://www.z400central.com/upload/merriman3.jpg

krizo88
11-07-2003, 01:34 AM
honda atc- I am only going on what my dealer told me. They will not have a honda 450R in stock untill the earliest of mid jan. now that might be different for you, it is still the same date I was told, I looked into it. Even so, i doesnt matter I have all the bugs worked out now and it is by far one of the fastest stock 4 stroke quads I have ever ridden.

krizo88
11-07-2003, 01:41 AM
merriman- now i guy that i can relate to, i was told it was a jetting problem, then i called the dealer and they said if i had to re jet they would buy the machine back from me. Its good to know somebody here owns one so we can relate. Thanks for the input.

Billy Golightly
11-07-2003, 09:29 AM
Yo easy dude...I wasn't trying to piss you off. All I Was saying is I was at my dealership just a few days ago and he pulled it up right off of the dealer network and it said it ships December 8th, so it will be in dealerships on the 10th. Wasn't trying to piss you off or anything.

krizo88
11-07-2003, 11:29 AM
sorry about that, I took that the wrong way, and I apologize.

Darius1502
11-12-2003, 12:39 AM
Dont worry about the Cherry Red head pipe...

I have a YZ 400F 1998 which is basically the first edition of the motor you have and mine has done it since day one.

krizo88
11-12-2003, 11:32 AM
thanks Darius for the info