PDA

View Full Version : What will fit between the legs of a Tri-Z

1tonofsh!t
10-25-2011, 07:46 AM
What's up guys. I came across a guy selling a rolling '85 tri-z on my local C.L. He's selling it without the engine and the plastics are MIA. He's asking 250 for it. If I can strike a better deal what engine's are the best for retro fitting, if any. I know i can find another (preferably) Yamaha engine with the same side sprocket, but I'm not sure which has the best fit with the least fabrication/modifications? I never really thought of owning a tri-z to be honest so my knowledge is primarily with honda's. Although when it comes to 2 wheels I always owned YZ's so I guess i'm not a full blown traitor. Anyone ever do a 350 and up 4 stroke?

If this has been covered before or someone has a build similar please direct me to it. Thanks

HuffieVA
10-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Please dont put a four stroke in it, that would be the equivalent of paying for your old lady to have a sex change and still thinking going for a ride afterwards would still be fun...

Left side chain isn't as big of an issue as the forward kick starter, unless you want to run modified fenders or take them off to start it...

1tonofsh!t
10-25-2011, 08:23 AM
[QUOTE=HuffieVA;1063817]Please dont put a four stroke in it, that would be the equivalent of paying for your old lady to have a sex change and still thinking going for a ride afterwards would still be fun[QUOTE]

What? haha!

Yes the reverse kick would be an issue, but I'm sure there's a clean way to make it work?

1tonofsh!t
10-25-2011, 10:37 AM
well let me ask this...the guy has the engine but doesn't want to sell b/c it just was worked and rebuilt. he feels he's going to loose money on it. I can understand that, but if i had offer him for the whole thing what do you guys think a great running bad looking tri-z roller goes for? Never really see any of these for sale around here. Their rareness might make for more of a price tag? Thanks

But still a big bore tri would be f'in awsome to build/ride...sorry huffie lol

bkm
10-25-2011, 11:16 AM
It seems like location will always determine the price. Around me a complete running bike goes in the 500-800 range and some of the really nicer ones bring around 1k.

1tonofsh!t
10-25-2011, 11:45 AM
I've noticed that too, especially checking out the classifieds on here and how prices vary from where i live dramatically. ATC's bring a good penny around where I live. Look at this crazy trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro i found on C.L.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/2649319539.html

HuffieVA
10-25-2011, 12:11 PM
well let me ask this...the guy has the engine but doesn't want to sell b/c it just was worked and rebuilt. he feels he's going to loose money on it. I can understand that, but if i had offer him for the whole thing what do you guys think a great running bad looking tri-z roller goes for? Never really see any of these for sale around here. Their rareness might make for more of a price tag? Thanks

But still a big bore tri would be f'in awsome to build/ride...sorry huffie lol

Nice (not beautiful) decent running stock 250R/Tecate/Tri-Z's around here (Central VA) go for around $1200 but they are all few and far between a very nice freshly rebuilt (fresh motor / paint / new or polished plastics) go for around $1500 to $1800 old school aftermarket parts add to those prices. Fairly complete projects usually get picked up under $500 and rollers for around $200 or $300 sometimes you luck out and get a really good deal but you have to be quick...

Probobly my best find so far:

85 Tri-Z with extended axle and top mount tank with DG ported cylinder snagged at: "we'll just say below market value"
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc461/HuffieVA/85%20Tri-Z/DSC04554.jpg

1tonofsh!t
10-26-2011, 05:05 PM
So here's the update with this tri. I got the current owner to offer up the motor with the rolling chassis and some other parts. Below is the copy and past from the email i received back from him. Now he's asking for $800 with everything. What's some of your guys thoughts? I personally think if i can get it between 5 & 600 I'd be in happy place:w00t:.

**id sell it with the motor and all the extra parts I have for $800. The motor is fresh overbore I think first size with a wiseco piston, head is milled, cylinder exhaust port is ported and raised and intake is ported with an extra boost port added and both enlarged, all as per yamaha's race team specs. I have a billet intake manifold and v force 3 reads 38mm flat slide carb billet water pump impeller, barnett clutch. everything is in the motor except the clutch and the impeller the old clutch was still fine. DG extreme chrome pipe and silencer, I have a brand new stock front tire and brand new yamaha fork springs, let me know if your interested**

MrNola
10-27-2011, 10:32 PM
if you can get it for around $500. it might be a decent deal. just know that you will probly have to buy more stuff to get it up in rolling and the little things add up quickly expescially 4 the tri z. to get a decent set of plastics it's a couple 100 bucks. plus the tri z has a fuel pump and thermostat and if it doesn't come with them that will cost you another 100 bucks. 800 dollars is way too much for that bike unless everything else is completely mint in my opinion. if he's not willing to lower the price I would walk away

HondaRidr
10-28-2011, 12:18 AM
800 doesn't sound bad after reading about that engine.

1tonofsh!t
10-28-2011, 09:09 AM
well guys i apreciate all the replies, but i got word last night that he sold it. But i was on the fence anyway for a few different reasons. Probably better off. This way I can focus on getting the 350x i've always wanted. Thanks to all again.