PDA

View Full Version : hello.. question on value!! 250r

twentythreemx
10-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Hi, sorry to post this question in here but it won't allow me to post anywhere else.

I have an (I believe 85) 250r. I remember its the last year before water cooled. I have to check but its at my fathers house. Anyways... its been sitting for the last couple years now and he wants to get rid of it. I spent a bit of time on it when I was younger. Everything was in excellent condition when we bought it. The plastic was great, not faded, everything was painted and fresh. It was very nice.

However 2 things.. 1 the pipe got dented in. It was repaired but looks kind of ugly. Will probably need a new pipe. and 2... the connecting rod bearing went. The cases were split but we never could come up with the money to order the parts. So everything has been sitting.

Wondering what something like that might be worth in the real world today. I know if it was mint like it was when we got it it'd be worth a bit, but with the motor being apart and needing some parts and the exhaust.. what is your opinion? Would like to help him get rid of it and need to know where to start so that I'm not wasting my time or anyone elses. I will try to get over there to take pics soon.

Thank you for the help.

Billy Golightly
10-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Sounds like it needs some work and parts for sure with a rod bearing that went out. Depending on the condition of the rest of the bike your looking at in my estimate between $500-$1000. The upper end price being if its in really cherry original condition other than the motor and pipe work.

Thats my .02 and welcome to the site :)

dcreel
10-25-2011, 11:43 PM
The first year of watercooling was 1985. You must have an 84 250r. In the condition you describe, it honestly isn't worth all that much.. It depends on the condition of the plastics, the tank, the tires if they are oem tires. The 85-86 watercooled 250r's bring the money. The 81-84 air cooled 250r's not so much. Unless they are pristine, or have period correct performance parts on them.

Honestly depending on the condition of the plastics, seat, etc. It's worth $300-$400. Pictures help a lot

twentythreemx
10-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Thanks guys. Was honestly thinking like $350 and i'd be happy.. so that kind of confirms. Will probably get it up on the classifieds when I get some pics.

mxer346
10-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Are you from Cleveland Ohio? If so I might be interested once I see pics.

Matrix
10-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Im in portage ohio and paid 675 for my 84 250r, however it did not need work other than rear brake cylinder and chain. I think if you fix it up to good running condition your looking at 450-600? And yeah get some pics up.

twentythreemx
10-26-2011, 12:25 AM
yep, cleveland ohio. will get pics asap!!

just ben
10-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Im in portage ohio and paid 675 for my 84 250r, however it did not need work other than rear brake cylinder and chain. I think if you fix it up to good running condition your looking at 450-600? And yeah get some pics up.I guess matrix doesnt know what a rod bearing is or what it takes to make the repairs

Matrix
10-27-2011, 12:39 AM
I guess matrix doesnt know what a rod bearing is or what it takes to make the repairs

Sorry I had accidentally skipped that part but non the less I do not know what a rod bearing is or what it takes to make the repairs...

Enlighten me will you?

RIDE-RED 250r
10-27-2011, 08:54 AM
If the lower rod bearing fails, you are looking at $100+ to replace the rod, and will probably need the crank rebuilt/replaced. Crank rebuild your looking at at least $100 labor, plus parts (crankpin, bearing). And this is assuming no crankcase damage was done. Plus, you would certainly want to measure up the piston and bore and address any wear issues there while its apart and your are spending the $$$ on repairing the bottom end.

So basically, best case scenario, if it ONLY needs a new rod, lower rod bearing and crankpin, he's looking at $250 and up around here.

Itrike
10-27-2011, 11:01 AM
like dcreel said the year before water cooled is 84 and not worth mutch non running. You my want to part it out if all else fails. You will probably make more money this way.