PDA

View Full Version : really need some helpp!

vstaffa
10-27-2011, 01:44 AM
i just bought an atc90 with no spark
i have basically no clue what im doing
i took the engine out and i was being helped by someone who somewhat knows what theyre doing but he couldnt figure it out
he was having me test the two wires coming out from behind the pull start with a meter
i am getting round 3v
this is without the coil hooked up because i broke my coil when i dropped my engine
so im just testing each wire by connecting it to the positiv lead and grounding the negative lead to the engine
the kid told me to buy new points and he would put them in but i hvent heard from him i put the new points in myself but dont know if i hve to adjust them or whatever
so basically i dont know what im doing at all
i need someone to either try to walk me through it or ill even pay a bit for someone to fix it
im in east haven ct
my number is 2033760262
any help would be appreciated
call or text me anytime
thank you

Vealmonkey
10-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Not to be mean, and you being new, but all trike owners should get the manufacturers shop manual for thier respective machne. Most shop manuals have a trouble shooting section and also give you parameters for testing the various electric parts to aid in diagnosis. If you have a trike, a shop manual and a helmet are your 2 new best friends. Also the shop manual will give you the proper torque specs that will help in any disassembly and reassembly of your machine. Best of luck with your new toy.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Veal's right on the money here. Its very difficult to try and test/diagnose electrical components without the service manual to give you the test procedures and specs. Hopefully MonroeMike pops in here with a link to the svc manual for your trike. The man is a Godsend!

Welcome to 3WW!

vstaffa
10-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks guys yea I was planning on getting the manual but I figured it would still be hard for me to understand seeing as I am nowhere near being a mechanic

thestud25
10-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys yea I was planning on getting the manual but I figured it would still be hard for me to understand seeing as I am nowhere near being a mechanic

If you can read and have the most basic mechanical skills the manual and you should be able to trouble shoot and fix your trike. Will you be able to fix it in 15mins? Probably not. Will it take several hours and multiple tweaking, probably yes. Will you have to invest some money into your 30+ year old machine, yes. Welcome to the club, get a manual, and be patient. We love to help with questions, but make sure and use the Search bar on the top right of the page. P.S. Pics always help us when diagnosing problems.

vstaffa
10-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Ok thanks again. Now seeing that I don't have the coil right now (just ordered a used one) will I still be able to trouble shoot and find out if I'm able to get spark or test the wires as I was doing before to see where my problem is? Or am I going to need to wait for the coil to cone in?

RIDE-RED 250r
10-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Wait for the coil.....

MonroeMike
10-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Welcome, what year is your 90?
Enter the VIN here, if you don't know.
http://atcvin.webs.com/

There's a shop manual here.
http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/atc90_73-78_atc110_79-81_servicemanual.pdf

atctim
10-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Just a heads up, but it will be easier if you put the motor back in the frame to troubleshoot it. Also - wasn't the coil mounted inside the frames on the 90s?

vstaffa
10-27-2011, 05:48 PM
It's a 72 and yea that's the reason I dropped the engine because I thought the coil was the problem. Dumb mistake it's a pain in the ass

vstaffa
10-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Another question sorry haha. So the coil I bought is complete but "unknown condition" is there a quick way to test the coil? I skimmed through the manual quick and didn't see anything but i might have missed it

1985honda280r
10-28-2011, 11:00 AM
not really just put it in pull the spark pluG and check for spark assuming you have the motor back in