PDA

View Full Version : which trike would you choose? yamaha or honda?

nov22jc
10-27-2011, 02:01 AM
hello.. im new to the site and i have a couple question.. a couple months ago i picked up a 1984 yamaha tri moto 225dx? ( something like that) i was thinking or have it restored but today i went to my brothers house and his neighbor sold me a 1982 honda 185s for ten bucks! i mean its in bad shape and needs work but for ten bucks why not.. so my question is which one is worth having restored and why.. thanks

the 1984 Yamaha 225dx or the 1982 Honda 185s?? ..

Swinger
10-27-2011, 06:43 AM
Id do the DX. Seems as it maybe in better shape as of now because you didnt say it in rough shape like you did the honda. Plus the 225 is the cadillac of the yamahas, electric start, shaft drive, reverse, full suspension. Or just do them both

HuffieVA
10-27-2011, 07:24 AM
The 225's didn't all have reverse, but they are still a much better all around trike than the 185s. Restoring/Rebuilding yourself and "having it restored" (assuming you mean having someone else do it for you) can be the deciding factor it takes a lot of time and searching for parts and pieces to do a restore and that ads up quickly in the labor department meaning that having someone restore one for you would likely cost you many times what it would actually be worth, I guess what I'm saying is this is a great hobby but it turns pricey in a hurry. If you like trikes and that is what you want you really have no choice, but if your just looking for something to ride there are a lot of newer quads and dirt bikes out there that would be cheaper in the long run...

jb2wheels
10-27-2011, 07:48 AM
The Honda because I bought an 82 185s new off the showroom floor in 29 Palms when I was 13. Every time I see one on here I want to build one.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-27-2011, 08:36 AM
If you are on a budget, sounds like the Yammi will be the better bet at this point. Hang on to the old Honda. Its not costing you anything to keep it in the meantime. When you are satisfied that the Yammi is done, you can then get going on the Honda. I'm sure it has way more than $10 worth in good parts on it at least. Good score, you can't go wrong there.

Welcome to 3WW!

R-tifacts
10-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Which one is worth restoring....both, I would say look at your budget and see which one is more reasonable to bring back, if budget is no problem then do which one YOU want to do. Which one do you like better?

3wheely
10-27-2011, 10:54 AM
I would do some homework first. See what each one needs, price it out and make a sound decision from there. Like everyone says, the sky's the limit on what you could spend on a restore. It just depends on the type of restore your planning. I would take the other bike and either hold on to it for the next build or if it has any valuable parts, part it out and put that money towards your restore.

fabiodriven
10-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Id do the DX. Seems as it maybe in better shape as of now because you didnt say it in rough shape like you did the honda. Plus the 225 is the cadillac of the yamahas, electric start, shaft drive, reverse, full suspension. Or just do them both

DX has no reverse, DR does have reverse.

I would do the Yamaha. Better all around machine once it's done.

1985honda280r
10-27-2011, 11:20 AM
do them both do yamaha first then keep the honda till you get the money to do it you will love them both

nov22jc
10-27-2011, 01:01 PM
oh sorry i forgot to put on there that both the trikes are pretty much in the same shape.. also im not in a hurry to restore it, Im planing on doing most the work myself using online manuals. As far the budget goes i figure its going to take me a couple months to complete so ii should have enough to fix it in the long run. I considered working on the yamaha solely because i like the way it feels when you sit on it compared to the Honda.. But the Honda just looks cool to me, something about the gas tank makes me like it lol.. I guess ima just keep both and take them on one project at a time.. thanks

badass350x
10-27-2011, 09:40 PM
All I can say is parts are more plentiful for the Honda!

gomer202
10-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Is This really a question?? It's all about the red!!! Honda

85 500R
10-27-2011, 10:02 PM
I'd choose the 185. When we were kids, a buddy of mine had one with some engine and suspension work and that thing ripped for what it was.

MrNola
10-27-2011, 10:02 PM
unless you mean a decent running rideable bike when you say restore. be prepared to keep the wallet open. The little things will add up real quick. That is something I found out the hard way. if you're looking to do a real nice restoration. you might wanna save up a couple dollars and just keep searching this site and craigslist. you can come across some pretty nice bikes at fairly good deals that will save you a lot of money in the long run. whichever you choose a good luck and most importantly have fun doing it.

Grindin' Gearz
10-27-2011, 10:17 PM
There's not really a question here, they're both great bikes in their own class, the 225 with its rear suspension, (I have an 85 225DR and love it!) and the Honda having a ton of parts readily available. The bikes are paid for, so they aren't costing you anything to keep around, find which ever one speaks to you and have at it, if you happen to get frustrated or have to wait for parts or money to buy parts, there's always trike #2, lol Good luck with them both, and toss up some pics now and again, but most of all, HAVE FUN WITH THEM!!

Lil Earl
10-27-2011, 10:28 PM
the dx is much more capable, it has suspension where the 185 is a hard tail and a little bigger as well

DryCreekBoy
10-28-2011, 01:20 PM
always ride red my friend

HuffieVA
10-28-2011, 01:48 PM
always ride red my friend

Will do, as long as its a RED Tecate or a RED Tri-Z...

RIDE-RED 250r
10-28-2011, 02:01 PM
EH, who cares what color it is as long as its on 3 and you like it! :naughty:

DryCreekBoy
10-28-2011, 02:30 PM
haha i ride nothin but honda bro i love them i got my 84 honda 200m and a 09 420 AT and use to have a recon so thats why i say ride red

Poindexter
10-28-2011, 05:06 PM
I'd keep both and do the yam first, simply because the parts are cheaper