PDA

View Full Version : Honda atc 200 hesitates and cuts out

ronwom88
10-27-2011, 01:01 PM
I have a 1982 honda atc 200 that i just bought, it starts okay and will idle most of the time but from idle to half throttle it cuts out badly but runs great beyond that. IT does not backfire or make any odd noises while it is hesitating and cutting out. I have cleaned and rejected the carb due to it having an aftermarket pipe, but there were still no improvements. I also have adjusted air/fuel mixture screw with no improvements to the cuttting out problem.

Jason125m
10-27-2011, 04:38 PM
What does your spark plug look like? Sounds rich to me.

Hows your airfilter?

Matrix
10-29-2011, 08:52 PM
I would agree with Jason here, check to be sure that everything to the cylinder is good. What kind of pipe is it? Stock carb? good fuel? good oil? I know checking things like this is boring but it must be done.

Has it just been sitting recently?

ronwom88
10-30-2011, 09:23 PM
it has been ran all summer and i have even tried a different carb with the same results it seems to only do it at certain rpms because if i shift it in second it will putt around with out cutting out till you start to rev out the rpms at half throttle then when you give it full throttle it clears up and runs good.

jeswinehart
10-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Hi Ron.
I am leaning it being carb related. At the top of this here trikesylvania section is a area called world class help.
Amongst many of the helpful postings in there, this one has been of particular help to me clearing up some of my carb issues which by the way, resembled your troubles only with a mid range bog or hesitation.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/55086-Carb-Jetting-101-Terms-Tips-and-Jetting-Theory

ronwom88
11-01-2011, 08:06 AM
I have rejeted both main and pilot jets, adjusted needle both ways with still no changes i can adjust air/fuel mixture screw which will change the way it idles but still cuts out till full throttle. It is like it is hitting rev limiter at certain rpms.

ronwom88
11-01-2011, 02:55 PM
you can hold the throttle between 1/4 and 1/2 and it sounds just like a rev limiter the way it cuts out. The cdi and coil tested good could it be a bad stator but doesn't really make since that it runs good after half throttle. But i have cleaned carb 3 times and put new jets in it and the passage ways seem to be cleaned carb cleaner will freely go through them>

cummins91.5
11-01-2011, 08:49 PM
I had a 200x that did that exact thing, and the timing was retarded. I advanced it and now it runs perfect like a raped ape.

Matrix
11-01-2011, 10:07 PM
I had a 200x that did that exact thing, and the timing was retarded. I advanced it and now it runs perfect like a raped ape.

Advanced it?

ronwom88
11-02-2011, 07:06 AM
can a cdi box go bad causing it to fail at low rpms? Or can the stator have a dead spot in it?

200xman123
03-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Hey I had the exact same problem my ignition timing was retarted check yours ! Afrter I changed that it runs like a raped ape startes first kick! Just took a little trial and error for me