PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have Snow Yet?

coolpool
10-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Woke up to this! Hopefully it melts, supposed to take the BR out tomorrow.

spaghetti
10-29-2011, 12:35 PM
and a little snow is gonna stop you?

bigredridr
10-29-2011, 01:12 PM
where i am we had 4 inches yesterday morning. and tonight there forcasting 7-10

Vealmonkey
10-29-2011, 01:13 PM
No snow in Baltimore Maryland yet. And if we don't get any, I won't be disappointed.

Vealmonkey
10-29-2011, 02:58 PM
It's snowing! Big wet stuff that is melting as soon as it hits the ground though. Thank goodness. LOL

coolpool
10-29-2011, 06:59 PM
and a little snow is gonna stop you?

Of course it's not going to stop us, just a lot more cleaning lol. This crap is around for 6 months of the year up here. We would never be able to ride if we got picky.

whyzee
10-29-2011, 07:25 PM
We are at about 14"and counting. This storm willbe epic . We got 8"in of snow in just 3 hrs!

atc007
10-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Almost 4 here. Dam Whyzee,,I'm surprised your power is still on? Probably won't be for long!

whyzee
10-29-2011, 08:21 PM
007. Lost power for good at around 6pm. I have been doing this from my phone
Latest picture . Notice my collapsed gazebo in the background.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x217/kumalogan/photobucket-4144-1319934167337.jpg

Vealmonkey
10-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Wow! We've been getting wet snow flurries, then rain and it keeps alternating. A guy from work here that lives just across the MD line in Jefferson PA, says he has 5" and still going. It gives me chills just thinking about it. I wonder how my buddy Geno in Pittsburgh is doing? That must mean blue27 and SWIGIN and bandito90 and Mike from HRE have at least 8"-10" right now.

atc007
10-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Pittsburg should be bare? The storm is East I think? A buddy of mine from Ephrata has 2 1/2 inches. That's a little below Harrisburg.

Grindin' Gearz
10-29-2011, 09:31 PM
I've got about the same as whyzee here in Winsted, had the 200er out earlier, might make a midnight run, sorry no pics, we don't run brain buckets around here, lol

skidmorejr88
10-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Im right over the MD line and we have had snow all day since 8am to about 5min ago. On the roads it's just a wet mess but i would say we have a solid 7-8inches every where else. I had took the 200s out but got soaked in a matter of mins:twisted:

just ben
10-29-2011, 10:03 PM
I've got about the same as whyzee here in Winsted, had the 200er out earlier, might make a midnight run, sorry no pics, we don't run brain buckets around here, lolhelmets only protect whats there. nothing to protect= no need for a helmet. anyway here in Buffalo where people seem to think it snows 350 days a year we had a little light rain. we did have a storm 4 or 5 years ago in mid october that was devistating. most of it was was cleaned up by spring but the effects can still be seen today.

Grindin' Gearz
10-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Downtown Winsted still has power, neighbors minivan did get creamed by a tree branch tho,

Grindin' Gearz
10-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Lol good point ben! Although honestly I must say I'm looking into some for the wife and I, now that she has her own machine and is getting brave enough to leave the front yard, lol

Swinger
10-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Im about an hr and a half east of Pittsburgh and woke up to about 4-5 inches and now got close to 8 laying yet and still lightly snowing. Trick or treat is tomorrow so this should be interesting!! Makes me wanna go steelhead fishing in Erie!

whyzee
10-30-2011, 03:40 AM
This is bad guys. 20 "+ here. Trees are devastated. Power is gone. I was just waken up by a large tree falling in the woods. Did not go back out last night riding. Too dangerous. My cell phone battery is about dead. Landline phone's are dead. Need to get to the truck and use my charger. Will update you guys. But this is a bad bad storm.

tri again
10-30-2011, 04:36 AM
This is bad guys. 20 "+ here. Trees are devastated. Power is gone. I was just waken up by a large tree falling in the woods. Did not go back out last night riding. Too dangerous. My cell phone battery is about dead. Landline phone's are dead. Need to get to the truck and use my charger. Will update you guys. But this is a bad bad storm.

GoodGod, man. You be careful,.

Especially if you run your truck to charge the battery.
Make sure the exhaust has a place to go besides the inside of the truck.

I think some phones will charge with them simply plugged in to the 12v socket.
Can't imagine 500Ma would drain your truck battery but better safe than sorry.
Hard to tell if the truck or phone is more important.

I mean, who could you call and how would they get there?
And where is it you might need to go?

Just be careful if you're running a fireplace/stove for the first time this year.

27" western Mass,
12" Hartford

Weather channel showing snow moving offshore as of 4 am
just a little worry about wind moving in.

My experience is it melts fast, and then may go ccccold for a few days.
Jeeze, I used to MAKE that stuff at ski areas.

Hang in there.
Hope everyone is ok.

update - 440am
Weather channel says 2 1/2 million without power

Sorry for the picture.
No disrespect intended.
Just trying to figure out how 2 feet of snow could possibly add a smile to the chaos

Swinger
10-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Well, alot of us got snow for Halloween and wondering now if we will have T-shirt weather for x-mas! Ha ha. Funny but not, thats how its is in Pa. Lake affect can put a damper on things at any moment and then there is times I go to erie (3hrs away) for a fishing trip in the winter, and its nicer than back home!! Shoulda been a weather man for my area, "30% chance of rain, 30% chance of snow, 30% chance of sun and 10% chance I might know what the hell Im talking about!!!

buster-717
10-30-2011, 08:35 AM
we got bout 8-10 with alot of trees down

whyzee
10-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Wow. What a storm. 19.5"to here. I made the mistake of not riding on my trails yesterday and trying to keep them open. Now they are impassable. Have to wait till this all melts to ride again. Here is a picture of my deck when I got up this morning.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x217/kumalogan/photobucket-1922-1319998872410.jpg

skidmorejr88
10-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Yea it took a number on our trees we have three down on our lot. Also alot of people do not have power.

gomer202
10-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Wow where I live we got no snow it sucks but being 16 snow means no school, no school means triking. where I live we don't get much snow to start with. My family has a cottage in Manitoba Canada and we got sleds there So during Christmas I'm get all the snow I want and get to go sledding

whyzee
11-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Finally got power on at 4:30 am last night. Whew...quite the week. Actually made it kinda fun with the kids hone from school which they cancelled for the week. It was like glorified camping. We cooked on our woodstove so he had hit meals. Bacon eggs pancakes etc. Used water from the stream on ourthe property for the toilets and heated it up to clean. There is still over 100k without power and downed powerlines just laying in the roads that you just drive over. Snow is all melted but the trails are covered with trees. Its going to be awhile before they are passable. So riding is limited to my yard, which is still pretty darn fun.

* sorry for the typos. Doing all of this from my phone so it sometimes auto corrects my typing and replaces it with the wrong words and its a pain to go back and change *

whyzee
11-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Wow where I live we got no snow it sucks but being 16 snow means no school, no school means triking. where I live we don't get much snow to start with. My family has a cottage in Manitoba Canada and we got sleds there So during Christmas I'm get all the snow I want and get to go sledding
You have alot of sweet rides for being 16. Nice job.

tri again
11-07-2011, 02:30 AM
Finally got power on at 4:30 am last night. Whew...quite the week. Actually made it kinda fun with the kids hone from school which they cancelled for the week. It was like glorified camping. We cooked on our woodstove so he had hit meals. Bacon eggs pancakes etc. Used water from the stream on ourthe property for the toilets and heated it up to clean. There is still over 100k without power and downed powerlines just laying in the roads that you just drive over. Snow is all melted but the trails are covered with trees. Its going to be awhile before they are passable. So riding is limited to my yard, which is still pretty darn fun.

* sorry for the typos. Doing all of this from my phone so it sometimes auto corrects my typing and replaces it with the wrong words and its a pain to go back and change *

I sent you some weather channel updates on another (weather) post to try and keep you updated.

Hard to believe 100k w/o power still.

I'll take some pix of my water tank setup i the next couple days.
The tanks are essentially free, people changing out their metal ones for fiberglass diaphragm well tanks.
Plumber friend can get me as many as I want.

They simply sit next t the woodstove and get hot.
Then in the laundry/tool room I have 2 more mostly full of air to power it all.

All in all, I'd say 150-200 gallons of water independent of the well (or city water)
pressurized with air and pushes out either hot or cold.
As you know, 5 gallons of hat water goes a long way in being comfortable.
..so 200 divided by 5 = 40 - 5 gallon buckets, should last a good long while.

Any way to get any kind of power from your creek/stream?
Some very cool hydro pumps you can easily
make that power themselves if you have very little fall
or water elevation.

We used to call them chatterpumps. aka ram pumps. Sling pumps are also very cool and both are powered simply by moving water.
The pressure of the falling water itself is enough to pump it hundreds of feet.
Sling pumps can just float on the surface of a stream and push water uphill. Archamedies screw technology.
Kinda like a hand crank spinning hose reel, is what I was gonna make one out of.
Already has the swivel connector.

Sounds like you had fun with your indoor camping.
We're looking forward to getting slammed here any day now too.