PDA

View Full Version : 84' 250r pings when decelerating.

Matrix
10-30-2011, 04:17 PM
So I took my old 84' for a ride today (nothing much only about 30 min) and I tried riding through my trails but my trails are way to small and to curvy/short so after 10 min of that I had to stop and I decided to ride In a very small open area where my large fire pit is. I mainly power slid and twice slid to much and had to quickly grab the clucth before the engine died (which happened once).

Ok so now that im getting bored of first gear I decide to take her on the road. Before so I drove through 3 gears to let the tranny loose a bit (I dont know, maybe warm up or something as I only had it in first for the first 20 minutes). When I get it on the road I slowly climb to 5th and when I hit 5th I let er' rip. Going fast (but not as fast as it can yet) and I let off the gas (twist throttle) and when I do it will ping after 2-3 seconds. I do not hold the clutch as I have heard you are not supposed to?

On the return trip to my house (I only rode it about half a mile then let it idle because I used to have issues with it dying from the half mile trip) I got it very high in 5th just to see how fast it goes and once more I let off the gas and it pings as if I am tapping the gas except much faster and shorter.

Does this happen to anyone else or do I possibly need a reed job? I wish I had a video but I lost my camera when I was trailing last weekend.:lol:

dcreel
10-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Have you checked your spark plug? It sounds like you may need to fatten your jetting some.

Matrix
10-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Brand new NGK with proper gapping. I have very limited knowledge of jetting but when I bought the trike it had a DG pipe on it. other than when I just let it rev down from a high gear its fine. Very tourqey and quick.

fabiodriven
10-30-2011, 04:43 PM
I agree with Doug. You may have to richen your jetting up a tad. Some pinging is normal, but excessive pinging can cause a lot of damage.

You don't have to hold the clutch in during deceleration, I'm not sure who told you that or why.

Matrix
10-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Ill have to look up this then. I run 32:1 with 93 octane and HP@ honda racing oil. Ill look into it and let you guys know about it shortly.

Thanks for the answers.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Is it the kind of "pinging" you hear when its sitting in neutral idling??? If that's all it is, that's normal.... Just a little bit of unburned fuel building up in the pipe and popping off every now and then... I would worry more if there was no 2-stroke, intermittent "popping" when decelerating in a higher gear.....

Matrix
10-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Definitely not, its enough to move the trike slightly.

KASEY
10-30-2011, 07:36 PM
sounds like you might want to go up a couple of sizes on the pilot jet, got to remember when you shut off the throttle at high rpms your running on low rpm jet selttings,,, so i always blip the throttle to give it a little shot of fuel when on a long decceleration,,,

Matrix
10-30-2011, 07:42 PM
How do I know what jets I have? I bought the bike used with the DG pipe and pre jetted and I doubt the guy I bought it off of knows.

Looks like a good time to get the carb a little cleaned up then if Im going to be taking it out. Ill check some numbers and what not to see what I have.

hoosierlogger
10-30-2011, 07:45 PM
the jet numbers should be stamped on the jet. Get your magnifying glass handy.

Matrix
10-30-2011, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=hoosierlogger;1065962 Get your magnifying glass handy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info and I have one good Magnifying glass.