PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Yamaha ytm200e Carb rebuild

jeff690
10-31-2011, 02:32 AM
Hi,
been checking out the site for a while now and have finally decided to register and make it official.
I am having some serious idle problems with my trike even though the carb has been cleaned thoroughly and checked for leaks. the idle gets worse as the engine warms up which leaves me to believe I have a fuel mixture problem.
I would like to rebuild the carb completlely but I cant seem to find a kit to provide all the parts. only to buy the parts individually from yamaha which probably isnt available anymore and even if it was would be ridiculously expensive.
I was under the the impression that the timberwolf250 carb kits and the yfm200 carb kits were similiar to mine.
my question is if I were to buy both of the carb rebuild kits would between the both of them give me the exact parts I need to rebuild my ytm200e carb
if that wont work could someone pass along some part numbers so that I know exactly what needs to be ordered that is missing from those kits and which kit if not both of them should be ordered.

Thanks in advance

Matrix
10-31-2011, 09:44 PM
I have no prior knowledge of Yamaha trike's but have you checked ebay?

Swinger
10-31-2011, 09:53 PM
I am having the same problem going on with the idling when the motor gets warmed up. I was hoping that maybe has something to do with no air filter( which showed up today, still waiting on filter cage yet)and that was making it too lean. Im guessing you have a clean filter in yours! As far as a rebuild or a carb swap, not sure but if you find out let me know. Good luck

jeff690
11-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I installed a new air filter a while ago hoping it would remedy my situation but unfortunetly it didnt. One thing I did notice is that it idles better with the air filter off than on which is weird.
I'll let ya know when I fix this.
thanks

3Queen
11-01-2011, 10:40 PM
My husband is 84t3 and he got the new filter and everything put on today so I could take it for a test run and low and behold does the same thing still!! And just as yours it idles better without the filter on. Someone gotta have some advise for us out there. Im getting a backfire through the carb but with filter on is hard to notice but still noticable. HELP!!!!

just ben
11-02-2011, 07:33 AM
set the mixture screw properly. also pull it out and make sure its not buggered up on the end first

Swinger
11-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Ok thanks Ben. I will get at this probably tonight after work and hopefully that does the trick

jeff690
11-06-2011, 01:08 AM
I'm thinking my mixture screw may be buggered up that is why I was hoping someone here could help me find a proper
Rebuild option for my carburetor. I just rebuilt the rest of the bike and would like to have the carb 100% so I know that the machine will last me a few years.

muthey
11-06-2011, 06:03 AM
are you having a backfire through the carb? also what is the number stamped on the mouth of your carb ie:23w00, or 24w01? have you checked the manual to see if your jets and everything else match to what is supposed to be in there? The starter jet in the carb bowl have you pulled it and checked to see if it is the right size and or slightly dirty/ plugged? The 200 ek, el with the 23w00 carb is supposed to have a 65 starter jet and pilot screw or also called mixture screw turned 1 1/2 times out the pilot jet is a 1.3. the 24w01 carb has a 85 starter jet, and the pilot screw 2 1/2 times out the pilot jet is a 130. Make sure you have a slide for a 200 as it is steeper cut than a 225. Also make sure there are no cracks in your intake tube and that it is a 24w model, as the 29u is a smaller opening. did you put a new o-ring on the choke? Have you checked the o-ring on the float needle seat to make sure it is still good? have you ran a wire through the air intake tube in the frame to make sure it's clean, lightly oiled you air filter? Checked your exhaust for plugs, muffler and header as well? Checked your choke cable to make sure it fully disengages, and slides properly? Checked the throttle slide to make sure the w clip is in place, and your needle is in the right position? Is your needle bent or worn, or the needle jet worn? Another thing to try is a plug chop with a brand new spark plug, maybe after rebuilding it and I am guessing boring it you need to richen the fuel. there is a lot of little thing to check before giving up. Feel free to ask me questions I have dealt with a lot of fuel issues with my 225 and 200l so I will offer any help I can.
Brandon

3Queen
11-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Thanks Muthey, I will get him right on it! As fast as he gets things done it may take a while! He'll never be done with my hunny-do list!

STiForester
11-06-2011, 11:47 AM
For parts try motosport.com. They had everything and diagrams and the Parts were cheap.

jeff690
11-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice.
I finally figured out the best way to rebuild the carb. The yfm200 carb kits are exactly the same with the exception of the needle, main jet and pilot jet. So all I had to do was order the rebuild kit and buy the individual parts that were different separately. Pretty easy to do through eBay just had to use the mikuni numbers. I hope this helps other people with the same problem

muthey
11-27-2011, 07:15 PM
the question is did it solve your problems?

jeff690
11-27-2011, 11:53 PM
the question is did it solve your problems?

Don't know yet. I haven't received all the parts in the mail yet. When I do I will update you guys
Thanks

jeff690
12-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Good news. just finished putting all the parts together and she fired up real good. still have to get a new needle since the one I ordered aparently wasn't in stock so I had to use the old one.
does anyone know how to set the float level properly without using a hose attached to the bottom of the float bowl? (the drain screw is seized) what is the level for the 24w01 carb?
mine is running great but I just wanted to make sure the float level is correct before I take it out for long distances
thanks

MonroeMike
12-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Check page 386 here.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/125954-YTM200-YTM200e-YTM225-Service-Data