PDA

View Full Version : DONT paint your engine!!!!

DryCreekBoy
10-31-2011, 08:43 AM
if you are considering painting your engine dont if its aircooled then the paint will act as insulation and hold in the heat and ruin your engine

ezmoney1979
10-31-2011, 08:45 AM
What do you think is on it from the factory, Magic marker?

RapidRick
10-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Personally, I never had paint on my two strokes and don't prefer paint on 4 strokes.

HuffieVA
10-31-2011, 09:08 AM
What do you think is on it from the factory, Magic marker?

I always use the scented markers myself, the black gives off a nice aroma of roasted castor bean...

Seriously though DryCreek, I would stay away from a paint roller dipped in Dutch Boy Laytex, but there is no harm in using a quality high temp paint on your engine... I personally think "Don't Paint Your Plastic's" would be much better advice:D

fabiodriven
10-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Just to clarify, there is nothing wrong with painting your engine.

Where are you getting this DryCreekBoy?

3wheely
10-31-2011, 10:18 AM
I used high temp paint on one of mine and never had problems and that's after I sandblasted the "factory paint" off. Can you elaborate how you came to this conclusion?

atctim
10-31-2011, 10:20 AM
Paint is not going to make the motor overheat. The thought of this is ridiculous!

DasUberKraut
10-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Just a guess. He plugged all his vent holes with paint.

fabiodriven
10-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Vent holes?

Billy Golightly
10-31-2011, 11:40 AM
You can safely paint the engine. I wouldn't use powdercoat or anything really thick and heavy though.

DasUberKraut
10-31-2011, 01:10 PM
Vent holes?

Where the breather tubes connect..

fabiodriven
10-31-2011, 01:15 PM
You lost me...

atctim
10-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Fabio, I think that Uber thinks the crankcase vent is for letting all the hot air out. I'm kinda lost now too though.

fabiodriven
10-31-2011, 03:55 PM
Thank you Tim. I had a suspicion that's what he may have been getting at, but I really couldn't believe it.

You aren't serious Uber...

WilliamJ
10-31-2011, 04:18 PM
If you coated the engine with a highly insulative product - ceramic for example - then you would significantly limit the ability of the metal to transfer the heat to the surrounding air.
Normal or high temperature paint won't stop heat transfer to any noticeable degree.
Bill

Jason125m
10-31-2011, 05:06 PM
I love this noob section.

hoosierlogger
10-31-2011, 05:20 PM
I think we are all stupider now for reading this entire thread.

Matrix
10-31-2011, 05:31 PM
I think we are all stupider now for reading this entire thread.

As it seems lol...

Drummerforu
10-31-2011, 05:34 PM
I would say if you have a lot of scrapes and want to cover them up, Lightly dust with a flat color spay paint. I've done this on a couple 250r air foolers and haven't had any problems. Like I said though, I did it lightly with one or two quick passes and about 10 inches away with high temp flat black

Matrix
10-31-2011, 05:39 PM
I actually cant wait to paint my engine lol..

just ben
10-31-2011, 05:50 PM
I like to use a good thick layer of under coating to prevent the aluminum from rusting. works well as long as you dont plug the hot air vent on the crankcase.

Motorious
10-31-2011, 06:24 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

DryCreekBoy
10-31-2011, 07:41 PM
wow this forum has a bunch a jerks only reason i posted this is cause i knew a guy that painted his and i guess he painted it to thick but not long after that his engine blew and the dealer told em it was due to the paint my bad guys jus tryin to watch out for fellow riders

Matrix
10-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Hey know one was mad at you. You just mentioned to a bunch of Veterans and knowledgeable newbs not to do something many people have done or looking forward to doing. No hard feelings.

Howdy
10-31-2011, 08:11 PM
wow this forum has a bunch a jerks only reason i posted this is cause i knew a guy that painted his and i guess he painted it to thick but not long after that his engine blew and the dealer told em it was due to the paint my bad guys jus tryin to watch out for fellow riders

Everyone can be a jerk at one time or another ( yes me included ). But generally we try to weed out the one here that are constant jerks.

Think about this: If painting an engine ( correctly ) is so bad, then why did Honda and the other makers paint their engines when they made them? Just food for thought.
Yes, you can paint your engine wrong ( heavy coating and or wrong type of paint ). But if you do it correctly you shouldn't have any problems.
Howdy

DryCreekBoy
10-31-2011, 08:29 PM
alritey guys my bad im def not a newbie to ridin or nuthin but my buddy jus told me bout that and i didnt want it to happen to anybody else haha

RIDE-RED 250r
10-31-2011, 08:39 PM
alritey guys my bad im def not a newbie to ridin or nuthin but my buddy jus told me bout that and i didnt want it to happen to anybody else haha

Well bud, we all know there are plenty of "dealers" out there who either don't know their rear-end from last tuesday, or think that their customers don't....

Example: My brother in law stopped into his local Suzuki dealer to get a headlight bulb for his LTR450. Parts guy looked at him like he had 3 heads and asked what the heck was an LTR450! Dealer also had no idea Suzuki makes the little Z250 either, this was evident when we went there looking for an oil filter for my nieces quad. Apparently at this dealership if you aren't riding on 2 wheels, particularly on road, they haven't a clue!

So, that dealer was giving your buddy a complete line of male bovine excrement by saying his motor popped because he painted it. If that were the case, any time somebody goes mud bogging on an air cooled wheeler and gets the motor covered in baked on mud then they should be popping left and right too.

badass350x
10-31-2011, 09:44 PM
Well bud, we all know there are plenty of "dealers" out there who either don't know their rear-end from last tuesday, or think that their customers don't....

Example: My brother in law stopped into his local Suzuki dealer to get a headlight bulb for his LTR450. Parts guy looked at him like he had 3 heads and asked what the heck was an LTR450! Dealer also had no idea Suzuki makes the little Z250 either, this was evident when we went there looking for an oil filter for my nieces quad. Apparently at this dealership if you aren't riding on 2 wheels, particularly on road, they haven't a clue!

So, that dealer was giving your buddy a complete line of male bovine excrement by saying his motor popped because he painted it. If that were the case, any time somebody goes mud bogging on an air cooled wheeler and gets the motor covered in baked on mud then they should be popping left and right too.

Very very good Example!

440brew
10-31-2011, 11:27 PM

you should have stated it this way the first time, it would have eliminated a lot of confusion...

sleepyweasel13
11-01-2011, 02:04 AM
I would be was more worried about a bunch of caked on mud than a layer of paint.....just sayin

LastFoolerInVA
11-07-2011, 12:45 PM
so what your saying is if i'm trapped outside with no coat... run to the shed and rattle can myself?

LastFoolerInVA
11-07-2011, 12:46 PM
why does my post say "edog" rather than "r a t t l e c a n" which is why I typed?

fabiodriven
11-07-2011, 01:14 PM
why does my post say "edog" rather than "r a t t l e c a n" which is why I typed?

Edog is a member of the forums here who is famous for spray bombing everything in sight. That's why "Edog" comes up when you write it. There are a few of those things in here. It's kind of fun if you're in the loop, but I could see it confusing some of the new guys.

D e e p a has shot of his mouth a bit, so you get Deepa

If you type p o o p you get a barge rope. poop

If you type h a m m e r you get hammer.

S a u l will get you Saul

D a m m i t will get you Dammit

And so on, and so on. :D

Enjoy!

Vealmonkey
11-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Oh Lordy! To think my Tiger 250 engine is powdercoated.

harvestblue
11-14-2011, 02:09 PM
This is all very good info.