PDA

View Full Version : 1970 us90 hub questions......how to use later wheels???

sleepyweasel13
11-01-2011, 02:56 AM
Ok, maybe I'm not using the search correctly, but I can't find anything on using non-balloon 1 pc wheels on a 1970=71 atc 90. so...
1. What tools are needed to remove the ballon tires 12mm on the inside, but what on the outside(lots of debris in there and cant see)?

2. are the axle splines the same as say a 1980 atc 110 or 1982 atc 125m ? or is there way more too it than that?

3. what should i do with the us 90's? I don't really have time or money or space to restore them, and there not the nicest ones out there. Whould it be bad to scam the motor out of one to put in a 125m with bad rings?

Basically I don't want to mess with something that should be restored, but if they aren't really anything i'd like to steal the motor from one, and or get the other one going once i sorce some wheels.

5. how rare are the first year ones?

Vealmonkey
11-01-2011, 05:49 AM
To use non balloon tires on a us90. First you would need a later model 75-80 front hub. Also you would need the same year rear hubs. The later 3 bolt style 3x100 bolt pattern hubs will bolt on, but it will look kind of funky as the axle will stick through the hubs a little bit. If you want to do it the really correct way, you would use a later model rear axle as well. The rear bearings are the same, so it is a simple bolt in swap. Also, you will eliminate all the multiple pieces for the us90 rear axle and just have the single rear axle of the later 90, early 110 trikes. Much simpler. The us90 engines and the 125 wiring harness are not compatable with each other. The 90 uses points and the 125 uses a cdi ingition and the wiring harnesses are totally different. There are alot of early trikes around, just not alot of nice early trikes. Alot have sat outside in the elements for years, unloved and unrunning. Parts for the early trikes are getting really hard to find. As long as you just want a decent runner, and not a 100% correct restoration. Fix the 90 up, get a repro front fender or use a front end off a later atc90 and just ride it around and have fun. That's what trikes have always been meant for, fun.

coolpool
11-01-2011, 11:31 AM
If my memory serves me right, there are flat spots machined on the hubs to hold the bolt while the nut is turned. I did have to grind down (modify) a socket to hold a stuck bolt once though. http://vintagemotorsports.net/store-chassis.htm Here's a link to get wheel adapters that will allow you to use your old rear hubs with newer rims. I have never used these and I don't know if they work for the front. Veal gave you the solution for the front hub anyway. If the machine runs good, then just keep riding it. Most parts are available through here or eBay to keep it going for a long time.