PDA

View Full Version : Noob with a few simple questions.

foxbodylove
11-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Hello! I'm new to the site and had a few questions regarding one of my ATC's.

I currently have a 85' 200X (trying to sell $300.00 cash, runs great needs brake work) ATC 125m and a ATC 185s.

My 185s is my work horse. I use it all winter long as my ice fishing hauler and it works great! Tows all my ice fishing gear and never gets stuck! But I have a few questions as im getting it ready for the winter...

Im looking at buying a few parts off ebay to get it ready....But the cost is so cheap, i have to wonder what the quality is like....My carb is in ok condition but could use a rebuild...but at 30 bucks (plus shipping) its almost just worth buying a new one....But how is the quality on these? Any good? Do they require a lot of tuning to get right?

Same with the replacement clutch plates...From towing so much weight all the time in snow (225# almost always) the clutch is beginning to slip at high R's in 4th and 5th gear. The replacement looks like a breeze but what kind of quality are these discs? They are so cheap its just hard to believe they are a good set to replace the stock ones....

Any information would be appreciated, and any suggestions for brands or websites for parts would help me out a lot. Thanks again for the help in advance! :)

fabiodriven
11-01-2011, 10:28 AM
I have heard good things about those knock-off carbs. I've never used one personally, so you may want to wait to hear what some of the other guys say.

Have you tried adjusting your clutch? If so and it still slips, you have the right idea to replace it. I would personally only use Barnett, EBC, or OEM for clutch disks.

foxbodylove
11-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks a lot for the input! I have not attempted to adjust the clutch yet, I will do more research and try to find out how you adjust the clutch and see if I can give that a shot. Worst case scenario, I bite the bullet, spend the 40 bucks and buy the EBT replacement kit with plates and springs.

I love the fact that these ATC's have such cheap replacement parts! haha :D

But anyone with more information in regards to these carbs would be greatly appreciated! Anyone have them on their trikes?

mullet
11-01-2011, 11:11 AM
I ordered a $30 ebay carb (from ZoomZoom parts I believe) for a 185s. I switched out the choke setup from the stock carb to the ebay carb, but that was it. The 185 runs like a new machine with the ebay carb. I didn't even have to do any fine tuning, it just fired right up and ran perfectly... I believe the carb is a "Tao Tao" instead of a "Keihin", which I believe is a chinese knockoff of a japanese carb.

foxbodylove
11-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Ahh yes! Just the kind of review i was looking for! Thanks very much for the help and I think I will be pulling the trigger on one today! Thanks again guys!

atctim
11-01-2011, 02:03 PM
I too have had very good luck with these carb replacements (it just makes more sense to buy new rather than rebuild old). On the reverse side - I have had zero luck on 3 different attempts at the Chinese 90/110/125 carbs.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-01-2011, 07:10 PM
I used a knock-off carb on my 110 and have had no trouble whatsoever....

cummins91.5
11-01-2011, 09:11 PM
My 200E has a knockoff Carb, can't wait to see how it is. If i can get it sparkin'

Matrix
11-01-2011, 10:03 PM
I currently have a 85' 200X (trying to sell $300.00 cash, runs great needs brake work)

Seriously? Man if you were closer (or if I got a decent deal on some type of shipping, I would buy that in a heartbeat..... man I want one so damn bad...

By the way I bought the 30$ carb but havent gotten to try it out as my 185s doesnt run :(

jb2wheels
11-02-2011, 09:56 AM
I have a knock off Chinese carb on the knock off Chiness engine in one of my 200x. It works great. Actually, I'm very happy with the engine, too.

I did, however, install bigger main and pilot jets from my 200x. Actually, since I have a pipe on the X, I think the mainis even fatter than stock.

Regardless, the point is, the carb was very lean and made the engine hard to start and maintain good idle.

When you get the new one - drop the bowl, check the main and pilot sizes and compare to what's in the 185 carb. Swap in the 185 parts if needed. Clean it and set the float.

Or, just bolt it on and go rom there.

foxbodylove
11-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses! I purchased one on ebay yesterday and am very excited to see how it works out!

And as far as my 200x, its a nice trike, it's just not practical for what I use my trikes for (towing, hauling ect.) plus I just have no trails around here to really get to stretch its legs! haha

But Thanks again for all the responses in regards to the carb! Helped out my decision a ton! :)