PDA

View Full Version : Looking into getting an ATC, What to watch out for, buying tips, etc.

CJ7MAN
11-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Hi Im a newb here. Im into Jeeps and VW powered sandrails and fiberglass dune buggies but now looking for an ATC, preferably an '83-'86 Honda 200x in the NJ, PA or NY area. Can you guys give me some pointers on what to watch out for and what is the going rate for one in decent condition? thanks

My toys:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/rmarches/rails3.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/rmarches/IMG_3383.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/rmarches/newwheel4.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/rmarches/lift4-1.jpg

Matrix
11-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Nice toys.. Any fun vids?

As for price, make sure your not getting the one guy who says "This is an old three wheeler, great condition, 1500" Even though its in bad condition, barely runs and just because its old doesnt exactly make it worth $$$.. You seem to be mechanically smart so if you dont think its good then dont get it. and try to negotiate price. I didnt negotiate price when i bought my 250r because the guy i bought it from knew the deal and knew what it was worth realistically.

Youll get better advice from someone else though.. After reading my own post i realised I just rambled a lot.. :(

Matrix
11-02-2011, 07:33 PM
I just looked at your jeep again and for some reason was a tad creeped when i seen your license plate lol..

dcreel
11-02-2011, 07:49 PM
The 83-85 200x's can be had in good to great shape anywhere from $400 to $1000 depending on condition of it. The 83-85 200X's are a lot like tanks. They will do almost anything you ask of them, and will last forever if maintenance is taken care of. I still regret selling ours. The things I would watch out for (or look for depending) are the auto-x's, that have an auto clutch/ pull start 200 Honda motor in it. You may prefer the standard manual clutch/ kick start 200x motor. The early 200x's had a problem with slipping kicker gears. A lot of them were fixed with a kit offered by Honda, but the parts are really hard to find. The 86-87 200x's are more rare and the price will go up according to condition. I've never owned one of the 86-87 200X's but have heard they are better in every way compared to the 83-85 models.

Before you need to ask.. The seat pulling away from the tank seems to be a fairly normal thing and can be fixed by heating the seat pan.. Search for the fix on that. The 2003 CR85 front caliper (cheap and plentiful) will bolt directly on to the 83-85 200x caliper mount and removes the parking brake. A KX80 (IIRC) caliper is a bolt on for the front caliper. Also the 85-86 250r front fender bolts directly on to the 83-85 200x lower triple and looks 2000% better in my opinion. You can use 400EX rear hubs and gain 2"+ width in the rear without changing your 4/110 pattern.

I think that covers it.. If you want a do it all extremely fun tank you can jump and wheelie all over the place you can't go wrong with an 83-85 200X. We bought ours in good shape for $600 and did a little revamp and sold it 2 years later for $800.

Goki mfg. sold an electric start kit for the 83-85 200x back in the 80's. It has since been removed from their lineup. You can't find parts anywhere but craigslist or Ebay. Just in case you run across one..

Also look for large amounts of rtv silicone around the cylinder head.. The overuse of this "sealant" will plug the oil passages and sounds the death knell for the 200x engine..

leviblue
11-02-2011, 07:58 PM
where in nj are you?? what are you willing to spend for the x?? there are a few close to me for around 400 that run and the plastics are still there. give me a pm and i'll point you in the right direction

CJ7MAN
11-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks guys this is great info you have provided me.

jb2wheels
11-03-2011, 08:53 AM
As with any 25 year old toy, these are often ridden hard and put away wet.

I have 2 84 200x's. One was a complete basket case with no engine for $75 and the other was a $200 runner that needed some TLC. TLC costs M-O-N-E-Y. The good thing about the 1st gen 200x is Honds sold a lot of them and parts are pretty easy to come by.

Things to look for on any ATC purchase:

brakes $50 - $250
- does it even have them? I mean, are the master cylinders and calipers even there?
- do the calipers slide on their pins like they supposed to?
- does it have a parking brake? Does it work?
- what's the fluid look like

chain and sprockets - are they worn out? $100
bearings - front wheel, steering stem, swingarm pivot, rear axle $125 and usually the axle or swingarm pivot is rusted in place...
is the gas tnak rusty inside? does it leak? $75
does it have an airbox? does it have an air filter in the airbox? $35
does it have a tool box? are there tools in it? $100 doesn't affect rideability but a negotiating tool
should have 2 skid plates but the one on the swingarm is usually missing along with the skid plate mounts because they get torn off
how straight is the rear axle? easy to bend on a 1st gen 200x - one of mine is $100
seat torn? foam bad? $30 - $100
plastics? $50 front fender, $150 rear but they are available new aftermarket
tires and wheels? tires $50-$300
lights? does it have them & do they work?

CJ7MAN
11-03-2011, 09:14 AM
I looked at a pretty clean ' 85 200x. It had a nice tight kick starter that didn't slip at all and it ran great and clutch felt ok, but the engine had a slight whirring noise to it when idling.You couldn't hear it when revved up. It wasn't a knocking noise but the owner thought it might be the clutch going or possibly the bottom end. Does this sound accurate either clutch or engine bearings? Thanks guys, this forum like the others I belong to, is great with very knowledgeable people.

jb2wheels
11-03-2011, 11:39 AM
My 84 engine is noisy, too. I just ride it with the throttle pinned and I can't hear it ;-)

"Slight whirring" sounds almost normal to me.

tpit8787
11-03-2011, 01:36 PM
86 and 87 is the way to go,best described as "much more modern-ish" than the older models.definitely check for bent axle and also check that the hubs are tight on the splines of the axle.rust free gas tanks are hidden next to the holy grail. but rusty tanks can be fixed.hammer hammer hammer