PDA

View Full Version : my new truck

yooperman
11-02-2011, 07:51 PM
just got me a new truck its a 2008 chevrolet silverado 2500HD with the 6.6 duramax diesel, it has 49,590 miles on it so heck it aint even broke in yet. i love it i cant believe the difference between the duramax and the 6.0 vortec that was in my other truck which was a 2008 GMC sierra 2500HD it unbelievable. i wanted a diesel because next year my wifes ford edge will be paid off then were going to get a fifth wheel camper.

what you guys think of it?

dcreel
11-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Very nice...

Jason125m
11-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Damn nice truck, those duramax diesels are awesome.

What the MPG on one of those?

Stonewall
11-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Awesome truck, gotta love a Duramax! If you're planning on pulling a big camper, you should look into Bully Dog's propane injection system. My neighbor has a Duramax and he added their propane system, and he loves it. It boosts both his fuel mileage and power, especially pulling a trailer.

tecat-z
11-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Very sweet truck ya bought. Hard to find fault with the D-MAX, as it's had one of the, if not the best rep of the big 3 diesels. Since the 01 itro, Ford has gone through the 7.3,6.0,6.4, and now the 6.7. Dodge has changed their Cummins alot, and in some ways gone backwards in recent years. You have a proven drivetrain with a D-MAX and Allison combo. That's what matters most imo...

atc200xkid
11-02-2011, 11:01 PM
dura max has changed to, theres the the LLY LBZ LB7 andLMY all differnt but all the same to, just like the cummins. not trying to be a dick...

fabiodriven
11-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Very nice man. I am personally a Ford guy and IMO you can't beat a 7.3, but that's just my opinion.

I've heard of those 6.6's having some injector issues and possible injector pump problems from time to time. My buddy's '07 had a clogged injector. It was gonna be a nightmare to fix so he took off the fuel filter, dumped out the fuel, and filled it with ATF. Cleared it right out. I think ATC Eric had some issues with his 6.6 on that invasion trip if I'm not mistaken.

In the years to come (not just yet), keep your eyes on the brake and fuel lines as they have a tendency to rot out really quick in those GM trucks.

tecat-z
11-03-2011, 04:39 PM
[QUOTE=atc200xkid;1066985]dura max has changed to, theres the the LLY LBZ LB7 andLMY all differnt but all the same to, just like the cummins. not trying to be a dick...[/
QUOTE]
All manufacturers use different prefixes to signal changes in engine tune, specific year, emissions or fitment application. That's all your prefix #'s mean. The D-MAX has never strayed from being a 402 cubic inch engine from it's intro in 01. However, the Cummins went to an all new engine in 07, raising it's displacement from the bulletproof H.O.5.9 in 02, to the now 6.7 in 07. That's a bit different than yearly changes in tune up, calibration, and fuel delivery. Many consider the 5.9 to be a far superior engine than the 6.7. In the same way some consider the Ford 7.3 superior to anything made since it's demise in 02. The D-MAX has been a very flexible engine, even with changing govt regs. It has allowed G.M. the ability to produce class leading power without needing a complete redesign. The same cannot be said for any other diesel engine during the 01 to present time.

fabiodriven
11-03-2011, 06:04 PM
While the subject of emissions has come up, like tecat-z said the 7.3's demise was emissions. The thing that bothers me is, the 7.3's actually blow some of the best emission scores out there. I do diesel emissions all day and the 7.3's are allotted a 20 on my opacity meter. They average about a 4 or 5, with a well worn example blowing over here and there. It's rare to see a 7.3 blow over the limit, or even close to it for that matter.

The 6.6's fail quite a bit despite their mileage or age. They blow consistently higher than the 7.3's. Hell, everything blows higher than the 7.3's. Most of these 7.3's don't even have a particulate filter either. My personal 7.3 has no particulate filter and it blows a 4.

I think Uncle Sam dropped the ball again.

Sorry if I got off topic here...

250r_doverdemon
11-03-2011, 07:15 PM
nice truck im not a red colour guy but that truck does look great! my dad really wants a D-max but cant afford it right now so we'll just keep dreamin lol