PDA

View Full Version : 1986 honda 250sx worth $250?

kprey
11-03-2011, 11:04 PM
hey all, I'm looking to pick up a 86 250sx its pretty rough shape but runs good, the guy says its a big red but the "sx" isn't a big red. what I'm wondering if any body parts from a 84 200es br fit on the 250sx? like rear plastics? front and rear racks? and headlight?
also will the tires from the 84 200es fit on the 250sx? the 200es has 25s on it and the 250sx has 22s on it. I guess what I'm trying to do is make the 250sx into a big red

I know I can own the 250sx for $250. would it be worth it?

thanks much

kprey

fabiodriven
11-03-2011, 11:09 PM
:shiftyeyes:Trailpros:shiftyeyes:

None of the items you just named will swap properly to the SX. The wheels might, but an SX with 25's? I personally think it would look silly.

If you try to cob the Big Red plastics on there it's going to look like hell.

Swinger
11-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Man that is pretty rough, but if its a true 87 then Id try to do a resto on it, if you could find plastics!

tri again
11-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Looks exactly like one of my very favorite sx's.

I think to make it more like a br, flat bottom tires, as in not rounded
and wheel spacers to widen the stance.
We use bigreds all over this place and buy sx's because they are everywhere and 2
sx's will fit in the truck.

I'll jump on whatever is closest but prefer the reds for stability hauling stupid stuff like TREES and logs and
other unmentionables.
The sx I love that looks just like yours is pretty close to the stability of a br for the reasons I mentioned.

Sad that very little of the 84 and before will fit anything 1985 and newer.

Generic fork boots from an off road place will cost 10 bucks as opposed to 30$ each.
Fenders would be nice.
Somebody made some out of a plastic water barrel but there are aftermarket ones from Maier.

Racks and a hitch are nice but seem to be sx specific. as is the gas tank.
I'm trying to figure out how to get an 84 br rack to fit. my one sx.
Headlight can be almost any 12 volt light..fog type driving light etc. garage sale for a dollar type.

Depends on if you want to try and make it look new or just functional to use it.
I like to beat them mercilellsy for a year or two and then decide which one gets new plastics and seat and
$$ stuff.

I like to make sure the timing chain, differential, swing bearings and all that nasty stuff is ok before I put
ANY $ into them for sure.
The 84 bug red tires seem to have a flatter profile and should fit, depends on your rims.
Too bad the hubs and splines won't just swap over.
Sounds like you have an 84 br parts trike?

TatTooL23
11-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Man that is pretty rough, but if its a true 87 then Id try to do a resto on it, if you could find plastics!

it says '86 250SX not '87.

but i would say its worth $250 if it runs nicely.

Swinger
11-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Whoops, for some reason I was thinking 87. Im a meathead! Sorry

kprey
11-05-2011, 07:23 AM
went and looked at this 250sx, man alive what a POS!! (sorry for the language) no dash or switch, had 2 wires to twist together to kick start, no starter just a hole in the case where the starter went nothing but a rag to jam into the hole, no left side brake handle had a vise grips on the rev cable to pull the cable, no right side handleor switches, no front brakes whatsoever, wiring nuts and black tape all over the wiring harness.... But all that said it did run ok... lol
just a little too much work needed

he said make an offer but I didn't want to insult him so I shook his hand and said thanks anyway...

Swinger
11-05-2011, 07:43 AM
I went to the local shop last night and as soon as we pull in I see a trike parked next to some quads. No plastics at all, handle bars bent real bad, forks bent, no seat etc... I mean this thing is pretty much a motor on a rolling chassis. Did have the ignition with key yet which really surprized me! This is the worst one I have ever seen. The one you looked at is in alot better shape. This guy says, "dont know what happened to it, was running fine then just died Ill tell you what happened, it fell off a masive cliff Ha ha. And what this guy wants is it all fixed back up! As soon as I saw it I thought about this thread. There is hope for something this far gone but just need the time and cash to do it. Worst you could have done is gave him a $50-$100 suggestion and told him to think about it. If he went for it then part it out( whatever may be good yet) and help a few fellow members out. Just a thought!

weidjd
11-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Should have offered to just give it a good home. It has been used and abused.

2+1=fun
11-07-2011, 12:17 AM
If he knew it was a bad trike maybe you could have gotten a steal on it. If you didn't want to put a lot of work into it and make it yours you could have fixed the minor things and made some profit. I say offer him like $50 and see what he says.

kprey
11-07-2011, 08:23 PM
I didn't want to insult him with a 50$bill, he thought he really had sumpthin' (and maybe he does)and was proud to have it lol. I still coundn't convince him that it was not a big red.