PDA

View Full Version : Re: Smokey Logs

wheelsforheels
11-04-2011, 10:56 AM
I have been burning for quite awhile. One problem I have had is when the air outside is cool and dense, like when a cold front comes through. I have to preheat my chimney by burning some newspaper before I start building the fire proper. Always, as others have said, safety first. Fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, and a family plan are all very good ideas. I love the feel of wood heat and I hope you can get your problems figured out. Seems kind of odd to me that after burning for a couple hours, it would start acting up. Check things over very closely.

wheelsforheels
11-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Yup, I don't usually consider myself a post whore, but it says I gotta make ten posts here before I can make a comment on the thread that I thought was important enough to come out of lurking. Fire is your friend and your worst enemy, all in one package.

wheelsforheels
11-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Kind of like ice fishing. Your auger is your friend. If I'm not drilling a foot, I'm not staying. The good part is that 3-wheelers are extremely light. There has to be at least two feet before I bring out the Arctic Cat couch. 4X4. Yeah, I know, it has 4 wheels, but it pretty good on fuel consumption.

wheelsforheels
11-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Just got the call, back to roofing in Brewerton tomorrow.I love roofing, but it sucks to be a roofer this time of year. Working weekends. I look down on the world. Who wants to walk the plank? Oneida lake, gotta love it. The roof I'm doing is 350 square, when we finish this next section, we will have about 280 to go. My last biggest roof was 220 square. I'm gonna spank that.

wheelsforheels
11-04-2011, 04:59 PM
1979 ATC 110, 1982 ATC 110, 1984 125m. I still have a carcass of a 185 that is FREE, just come and get it. It has the solid front shocks, it's not a springer. Rolls, axle is good, brake hardware is all there. No engine. The old chain interferes with basic rolling action, but she is a roller. The 185 is free, try to take my others, I will make an issue.If you want it reply back, I'd rather it go to a wheeler freak(yes, I'm one) than to the scrap yard.

tri again
11-05-2011, 01:47 AM
Where's that other thread about woodstoves and chimney fires ?
I get lost easily.

wheelsforheels
11-06-2011, 04:15 AM
It is here. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/137139-Smokey-logs.../page2 I agree with problems from the cap. I've had friends with that problem, but myself personally have never had an issue with mine. Maybe the woodstove has one of those automatic drafting features.

wheelsforheels
11-07-2011, 12:53 AM
I think maybe the more times you let your fire go out and have to restart it, is where you run into problems with the cap and creosote. Mine never gets a chance to cool off once the burn season is here.

tri again
11-07-2011, 02:47 AM
It is here. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/137139-Smokey-logs.../page2 I agree with problems from the cap. I've had friends with that problem, but myself personally have never had an issue with mine. Maybe the woodstove has one of those automatic drafting features.

I comPLETELY forgot about that.
Some did have a spring loaded damper ON the stove itself and they'd open of close whenever they wanted to.

wheelsforheels
11-08-2011, 12:02 AM
I've seen older ones that have been modified. You never know until you look. OR, you built it yourself.