PDA

View Full Version : Killed my vise and need a new one

Frankencelery
11-04-2011, 11:31 PM
I killed my vise the other day when I used it to press in wheel studs. I had to use a huge bar to get enough leverage, and naturally I bent the handle all to crap. This is a 4" Craftsman vise that I've had for 10 years, but one of the jaws was broken and I've never been able to get replacements. Can someone recommend a good reasonably priced vise I can get to replace this one? Seems like Craftsman gets crappy reviews nowadays.

tri again
11-05-2011, 03:48 AM
Shouldn't they just give you a new one?

I broke a 16" crescent type wrench and they only had 14 and 18 so I took the 18.
No questions asked.
If they don't have parts or a replacement, they should give/send/ship you something comparable or better.

just ben
11-05-2011, 08:51 AM
I dont think vises carry the lifetime warranty. The one at lowes are junk (bessey) I broke the jaw off in less than a year. Wilton make decent vices. If you want one that will outlast you check craigslist. The older the better and can be bought cheap. The vise I have now was made around 1890's- 1900 cost me 30.00 and I exspect it to last another 100 years.

fabiodriven
11-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Ben's right. Unless you have mega bucks and can afford Snap-On stick with an antique. I find myself buying old stuff a lot of the time now because new stuff is just crap.

Mosh
11-05-2011, 11:39 AM
I agree check craigslist and go to some shop auctions.The store bought ones are for light projects at best. Very light.
I pulled a huge cast vice out of a auto shop that closed down, and this thing has got to be 50 years old at least, weighs about 60 pounds and can open about 12 inches or so. The handle itself is 14 inches long.
I have actually pulled the work bench anchor srews out of the walls using this thing before. Plus it has a nice 6 inch anvil on the top for hammering on.
Dont get one that pivots. That hold down system always fails after some hard use.
I got it for 50 bucks.

atc007
11-05-2011, 01:05 PM
X2 on the swivel,,stay away from that crap.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-05-2011, 03:49 PM
I bought my house from my grandfather's estate after he passed away. My bench vise came with the house and is very old. I dont remember the brand off the top of my hand, but it was made in Cleveland OH. My guess is that it's at least 60 or 70 years old, quite possibly older. It's tough as nails. I agree with the others who suggest checking antique stores, flea markets, etc. It's one of those cases where the old stuff is by far superior to the current junk.

Frankencelery
11-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Yeah, Craftsman only has lifetime warranty on the hand tools, so vices don't count. I looked at Harbor Freight (I know, really cheap), and what they had was even worse than I expected. I never thought of Craigslist. Maybe I'll try that. Thanks for the idea.

Howdy
11-05-2011, 05:32 PM
I picked a used all steel vise up at a flee-market about 10-15 years ago ( made in Mn ). I paid around 20-25 for it and it is great. I have also pulled the 5/16 x 4" lag screws out of the workbench. I installed carriage bolts and then broke 2 of the 3 of them. And the bonus is this vise swivels 2 ways. by far the best vise I have ever had.

bentthumbtriker
11-05-2011, 07:34 PM
i got given a vice from my great grandpa that the bort when he was about 15 and it still hasent broken. dont buy 1 made in china because i had one and the jaw shattered 2nd time i used it.

sblt500r
11-05-2011, 10:56 PM
i have a wilton with the round channel. it was expensive but you get what you pay for. this vise has taken a beating but is still like new.