PDA

View Full Version : another 500r help build

gus
11-09-2011, 03:58 PM
ok. iam pretty new to the site (about 3 months new) i have an 86 250r that i wont to build a 500r really badly iam 19 always loved three wheelers (not so much quads). anyways i need help on pretty much everything, like whats the best cr engine year to get whats compatible with 250r parts that will the cr engine (e.g clutch cable,radiator hoses,both radiators) where to get that special coil that is needed for the light to work on the cr engine.what does and donts on frame cut to fit that monster in there if anybody can point me in the right direaction i would greatly appreciate any info would help thanks again

Matrix
11-09-2011, 08:17 PM
First I would start by having proper English. You will get criticised and most likely will not get an answer by not spelling your words correctly and or not making sense (the first part of your last sentence, I had to read it twice).

I have nothing to contribute other than that little tid bit because I as well am 19 and would like to know how a 500r is constructed. However I do not have an 85 or 86 250r body so until then, I'll have to weep every night..

Lol, hope I didn't come across like a doucher but someone needs to push people in the right direction without being a you know what. (I would have said it but we cannot curse here)

Matrix
11-10-2011, 06:49 PM
See? Try deleting and reposting this with better grammar and punctuation.

300rman
11-11-2011, 01:17 AM
lighting coils for the CR500 are mostly extinct, and when one pops up, expect to pay 400+.

KASEY
11-11-2011, 02:17 AM
See? Try deleting and reposting this with better grammar and punctuation.

you said you have nothing to contribute!!! why are you still posting? i can read what he posted perfectly!!! use the search tool. if you don't have above average skills and deep pockets,,, probably not the route you want to go.......

Grindin' Gearz
11-11-2011, 05:39 AM
When Mr Kasey speaks, take notes, dude knows his stuff... Lol good luck though, I've been a fan of the 500R's for a while now :)

1tonofsh!t
11-11-2011, 09:01 AM
I have nothing to add technically seeing that I've never done a 500 conversion nor can I even imagine a three wheeler with that power plant...crazy:crazy:! I rode a 500R back in the day and i have to say i was sh!tting my pants laying into 3rd gear's powerband. Anyway IMHO why not just work the 250 engine to your advantage. You have one of the most badass three wheelers ever made with globs of power from the factory just build on that especially that you are unsure of the technical roads ahead? Just my $.02 and I will be subscribing to this post to learn a thing or two, just incase i start smoking heavy amounts of crack and want build a hell weapon of my own...rock on:w00t:!

gus
11-11-2011, 04:14 PM
thanks kasey for backing me up lol, how much does it cost to convert this machine to 500r? cant be that much right? yes i do know that the 250r is pretty fast but i wont something faster i like getting attention from people where i live there is NO atc were i live seems like no body owns them.but theres alot of quads thoe i like to prove to them that yes there old but they can whoop your @#s lol. and actually i was planning on selling my 250r engine and 350x parts to make some cash in order to build this 500r. could you imagine owning a cr 500 and taking it up alot by boring it out.?! now thats sounds scary

gus
11-11-2011, 04:29 PM
i did a test run with my buddy just to see how fast it really was my 86 250r stops at 70mph and thats full throttle all 6 gears. yes its fast but i wont something even faster

dcreel
11-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Do you want something faster, or something quicker..? You can always put a huge rear sprocket on there and do 90 with your 250r motor.. It'll take you a mile to hit it though..

bkm
11-11-2011, 04:38 PM
With all the time, $, and effort it takes to swap a 500 in there, why don't you just build a big bore stroker engine out of the 250r that you already have?

gus
11-11-2011, 07:01 PM
So what would be best a 250r with a 310 kit or a stock cr500 engine? Is there something bigger than a 310 kit?.but either way isn't a cr500 still going to be fast than a 250r with a 310 kit?

gus
11-11-2011, 07:03 PM
And to answer dcreel I wont something faster scary fast. I wont to rap myself around a pole lol

Matrix
11-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Sorry to sound like a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro but I read a couple posts before I joined that had improper grammar and everyone but a few people actually answered his question and I figured everyone else would do the same here. And I do want to build a 500r sometime in the future and was afraid no one would contribute to his post so I thought I was pointing him in the right direction but if I wasnt then sorry.

I could read his post but I could have read it better.

KASEY
11-11-2011, 08:36 PM
i did a test run with my buddy just to see how fast it really was my 86 250r stops at 70mph and thats full throttle all 6 gears. yes its fast but i wont something even faster

well then a 500 is NOT the answer! 250r ,, wide ratio transmission 6 speed... cr500 close ratio 5 speed.. if you gear a 500 to do over 70 ... first gear will be so high unless your in the dunes only it will be useless..... i have a HRC wide ratio kit in the 500,,,, and 70 would be tops with first still being managable!!

KASEY
11-11-2011, 08:50 PM
gus ,,, you reallly need to figure out what you want .... i have a ESR 350 which is a 250r based engine.. way less money than a 500 conversion without all the hassles of a 500..... it rips!! its way faster than the 450's the only thing it lacks is the brute 500 torque....

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n592/KASEYII/DSC00132-1.jpg

gus
11-11-2011, 10:41 PM
No worries matrix you were just looking out for me and I appreciate that and actually I was kinda of scared to post seeing how this is my frst post and iam kinda new here. so Is there a bigger kit than a 310 for the 250r? And kasey you kind of lost me there on your lastest post so basically. You just recommend. That I don't install the cr and just beef up the 250r ? Sorry iam a noob lol? ?

gus
11-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Wow! That looks hella fun kasey ok so let me just put this at bottom terms. I wont y 86 250r to be fast I guess the 500r conversion Is out of the question to much $ so that being said for what I was going to invest in building a 500r (money wise) what could I do to beef up my stock 250r engine I see you mentioned that you had an esr 350 how would I do that to my engine kasey?andhow much is that.?Just curious how fast is your esr speed wise? And I would also like to thank all of you guys for helping me iam definitely going to be a long member here

KASEY
11-11-2011, 11:30 PM
probably a $2000 to do a complete 350 thats motor pipe carb ,,and misc,,, and if you wanted to gear it up it would easily pull 90 mph,,,

circafwsk8r86
02-03-2013, 07:04 PM
i have an 85 atc with an 88cr500 in it. if trailprotrailpro mechanically inclined and have determination there isnt anything that cant be done. the biggest thing is having a welder and being able to cut weld and drill things. u need common sense. then the biggest thing is you need 2 machines for it to be the easiest. best way is a shitty cr500 and a shitty atc 250r. then make something nice out of both of the shitty things. mine will probably be for sale at some point and ill be looking for around 3k for mine. the cr 500 does fit in stock frame but the mount on the head hits the backbone and the y down tube in the front needs to be cut to clear exhaust either way your cutting and probably welding. so i used the basket out of a cr 500.then put a few gussets. the cr500 then needs some spacers to keep it all the way to the left of the frame. or new tabs welded. i used spacers.then cut new brackets using oem mounting holes. its not that hard and not that expensive just time consuming. end result how much money u want to put in it. i say it can be built for 2k or less but itsnt gona be a show machine. hope this helps