PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Yamaha 225DX

pokienoze
11-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Hi there. I have a beat up 225DX I am trying to bring back to life. When I got it all the hoses were off the carb. After giving it a good cleaning, painting the plastics, and replacing the seat and other missing parts, I put her back together, but am now trying to hook up the lines. There are 2 "ports" on the top side of the carb. I believe the larger one is to the gas tank. Any ideas where the other hose connects to from the carb???135287135288135289

MonroeMike
11-13-2011, 04:02 PM
The hose from the smaller one runs up the frame, under the tank, it doesn't connect to anything (vent).
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=113921&d=1294963221

pokienoze
11-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the info! So when I go to sell this, what is a good asking price?

muthey
11-13-2011, 10:32 PM
well when you get it running and have it running tip top, I would say 600$ is a good price however if you have more than that into keep it. You might even think about keeping it after you have ridden it awhile. I tell you what those are one heck of a good wheelie machine

3wheelwonder
11-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Whats up? I've got a three wheeler similair to urs but I dont have any gas tank plastic. Prefferibly black to match mine. I have some sky blue ones ill happly get rid of to someone if thats the color they need.

3wheelwonder
11-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Whats up? I've got a three wheeler similair to urs but I dont have any gas tank plastic. Prefferibly black to match mine. I have some sky blue ones ill happly get rid of to someone if thats the color they need.

Parts Man
11-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Great job so far!

pokienoze
11-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks! Another quick question. When I turn the key on, should the lights come on? OR do they come on when it actually starts. Didn't get it started yet but did hook up the wiring. The neutral light comes on when I turn the key on and the electric start works. Also, the negative cable from the battery only goes to the frame correct?

muthey
11-20-2011, 08:40 PM
hey pokie, the only light that comes on with the key is the neutral light, and the starter are the only things battery controlled. Everything else works with the motor

pokienoze
11-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks Muthey! Got the electric start working. Have to check for spark. Engine cranks over but doesn't fire. Had replaced wiring, so not sure if something isn't plugged in all the way, or if it isn't getting gas thru the carb (which I did tear down and cleaned good). Have to check it out more. Any suggestions? Has good compression. I have the battery negative wire bolted to the frame. Is this correct?

muthey
11-20-2011, 08:58 PM
check for spark, 225's have an issue with a wire from starter to cdi that goes bad eventually which prevents electric start. There is a starter jet in the bowl of the carb that could be plugged as well check out the free manual in the world class help section, or here http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/ you can down load these ones as well. I would also if you haven't done so replace the spark plug with a new NGK d7ea. Also if there is enough wire left trim 1/4" from where the coil wire connects to the spark plug cap. check the stator wires where they come out of the motor. Once you narrow these down, we can analyze other options from there

pokienoze
11-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Ok great! Thanks a lot for your help! I will let you know how it goes!

muthey
11-20-2011, 09:43 PM
ok feel free to pm me if you need to as well I am on here sporadically throughout the day

pokienoze
11-21-2011, 04:22 PM
3 wheelwonder- Did you try on ebay?

pokienoze
11-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Okay! We got the 225DX running this weekend and did some riding with it. Would love to keep it but we have enough 3 and 4 wheelers, so I am going to sell it. Listed it on craigslist today! Located near Catskill NY so if anyone is interested, let me know!

muthey
11-28-2011, 01:15 AM
what did you figure out the starting problem was?

pokienoze
11-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Well we checked the spark, and it had great spark. Pulled the carb back off, checked the float, and everything looked and worked good. Happened to get a new air filter, and when we went to install it, the box was filled with- what I assume was some little mousies home. Cleaned it all out, installed the new filter. The battery was run down by this time and was not cranking the motor over fast enough. A couple of pulls and it fired up! Throttle cable was sticking a little. Got a new one on order. But it rides really nice and is peppy. First Yamaha I have ridden being a Honda person. I was pleasantly surprised! If it had reverse, I would consider selling the 250SX instead (not) :O). I did notice it wouold be easier to flip than my 250SX as the axle isn't as wide, but is nice riding otherwise.

muthey
11-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Well since I've never had a 250SX, or ridden one I can't compare myself, but if you put the most sacrilegious tires on the back like mine has "trailpros" it will help with stability. I have ridden mine through alot of tight corners as fast as she'll go and never feared a tip over. But like I said I could only compare if I had ridden or owned a 250sx.