PDA

View Full Version : Paypal BS Email

shortline10
11-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Got this email from paypal this morning . Now what :lol: and how do they know what is a gift to me or a payment for a purchase or service ?

Dear Michael ,

Thank you for using PayPal to accept money with your PayPal account. We recently changed our pricing structure so that you can receive money from friends and family for personal payments within the US for free. Personal payments are for sending a gift, splitting a lunch bill, paying your share of the living expenses, and everyday exchanges of money between friends and family.

If you receive money as a payment for a purchase or service, you will continue to incur fees.

We've noticed that some of your customers are sending you personal payments for purchases of items or services. Unfortunately, this is against our rules, and we need your help correcting it. Please don't ask or allow your customers to use personal payments to pay for their purchases.

If we continue to see such activity, we may have to disable your ability to receive free personal payments, and then you will pay fees for all money received through PayPal.

Here's how you can find more information about payment types and fees:

1. Click "Fees" at the bottom of any PayPal page

2. Click "Legal Agreements" at the bottom of any PayPal page, and then click "PayPal User Agreement." Sections 4 and 8 refer to receiving money and fees.

If you have any questions, concerns, or think we may have made a mistake, please contact us at P2P@paypal.com.

We value your business and appreciate your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Tracy

Personal to Personal Team

PayPal

Mr. Clean
11-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Are people buying parts putting some words in the comment box such as part descriptions etc?

rdlsz24
11-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Another member on here got one of those and when I bought parts from him he told me don't send via personal since PayPal was watching him lol

Rob

shortline10
11-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Not much in the comment box except for addresses but prob enough for them to assume . I did a few big sales the last few weeks so I guess it sent a red flag :wondering

Are people buying parts putting some words in the comment box such as part descriptions etc?

rdlsz24
11-14-2011, 08:37 PM
What do they normally take for a percent when paying outside eBay? Is it cheaper than a USPS money order?

Rob

shortline10
11-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Works out to about 4% fees on my end . I guess if I accept payment as a gift the comment box needs to be left blank :confused:

What do they normally take for a percent when paying outside eBay? Is it cheaper than a USPS money order?

Rob

fabiodriven
11-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Send them a picture of Mr. Clean's avatar.

shortline10
11-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Sent them an email response back .

"You are mistaken and I don't know were your getting your info from . When I use the gift function threw paypal these are friends only .
Thanks , Mike"

Here is their response to my email .

Dear Michael ,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Previously, you said you received personal payments from friends only.

We’ve recently reviewed your account and noticed the following transaction: 1GL18@@@@@000P which was made on Nov 3, 2011, amount: $565.00.
You received this transaction as a Personal payment but it appears to be a payment of orders indicating a commercial payment.

Please provide a reasonable explanation regarding this transaction.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at P2P@paypal.com. Thank you for helping us resolve this matter.

Sincerely,
Cathy
Personal to Personal Team

PayPal

All it says in the paypal comment box is .

(Hey man! Let me know if this goes through. My address is @@@@@@@@@.)

So all they are doing is assuming . Says nothing about parts just an address !!!

Dirtcrasher
11-15-2011, 09:56 AM
I would just raise my prices. Paypal can do very bad things to your accounts and it can be awhile before you can access your money.

If you search on Paypal issues/problems/nightmares you'll see what I mean.

Good luck.

HuffieVA
11-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Hey guys, just saying... They are a business and they do leave a loophole for personal payments "for free", if they didn't charge for their services they wouldn't be in business in the first place (I'm not saying that they don't charge too much but that's free enterprise right) in my opinion the OP got caught plain and simple receiving payments for goods labeled as gifts/personal. Everyone that signs up for PayPal agrees to their user agreement, and like it or not (and we all do it) if you bent the rules long enough you get caught... Kind of like getting a speeding ticket and bitching at the officer... its not his fault you were going 40 over the limit, and yes he could cut you a break, but at the end of the day, its his livelihood... and PayPal, not unlike traffic patrol officers will often give you the benefit of the doubt for a few dollars here and there or running 8-10 mph over the limit but if your selling $1000 a month and taking it all as personal/gifts your going to draw the same attention to yourself as blowing through a speed trap and flipping off the officer (neither one will have a pleasant result)...

tri again
11-15-2011, 12:34 PM
I just hope it's not a scam of spam.

I got a hit from BofA with their logo and all looked pretty cool.
When I called BofA, they said, and I quote,
"oh, that's spam, just delete it".

shortline10
11-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Yep I understand your analogy but they have no proof just an assumption and yes I guess I kinda got caught but it defiantly wont happen again LOL .
This thread is a heads up for all taking payments as a personal / gift .

Hey guys, just saying... They are a business and they do leave a loophole for personal payments "for free", if they didn't charge for their services they wouldn't be in business in the first place (I'm not saying that they don't charge too much but that's free enterprise right) in my opinion the OP got caught plain and simple receiving payments for goods labeled as gifts/personal. Everyone that signs up for PayPal agrees to their user agreement, and like it or not (and we all do it) if you bent the rules long enough you get caught... Kind of like getting a speeding ticket and bitching at the officer... its not his fault you were going 40 over the limit, and yes he could cut you a break, but at the end of the day, its his livelihood... and PayPal, not unlike traffic patrol officers will often give you the benefit of the doubt for a few dollars here and there or running 8-10 mph over the limit but if your selling $1000 a month and taking it all as personal/gifts your going to draw the same attention to yourself as blowing through a speed trap and flipping off the officer (neither one will have a pleasant result)...

Mosh
11-15-2011, 04:56 PM
I personally dont have a problem with these terms, or the new "tax thing" they are implementing.
We have been paying them for years.

As already stated, they are a business and deserve their profit.
The internet has made it all too easy for some guy named "Earl Swashbuckler" to hang a cheesy ass paper sign on his little garage behind his mobile home, and act as legitmate business.

Personally IMO, anyone recieving funds in a paypal account over a certain amount, in a given taxable quarter, should have to obtain and carry a federal tax ID number.
I think it would curb alot of internet scamming also, if they made it harder to gain an account for paypal, other than what currently is monitored or required.

It makes it unfair to those business owners, that have gone through the proper channels, and obtained the proper paperwork, and payed the neccesary fees, to let others just abuse the system.

Same with Ebay..Power sellers and Stores should be required to carry a federal tax ID to operate in the large mass fashion some do.

Just what I feel.
If you dont like the fees, then raise the price accordingly to accomodate.
On a 100$ sale, it is 4 bucks. I really dont think anyone will not buy the 100$ item or service, if you say it is 105$.

JasonB
11-15-2011, 05:12 PM
thats interesting. I have collected over 1000$ the past month from selling off extra car parts I had. I have people Gift alot and I gift everything to everyone else as it is, paypal is a business but it is in my best interest to avoid losing 4% of every transaction to them. They have almost NO OVERHEAD for their operations, so the money they make has insane profitability to it. Just stupid.

JasonB
11-15-2011, 05:18 PM
allow me to elaborate on my previous statement: im not against them making money, i am just against losing money if I dont have to lol that sounds bad, but I am tight with money and do whatever I can to save it when possible.

Mr_RPM
11-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Mike, I was Just paying you back for the lunch you bought me, those 3 wheeler parts where free right?

=P lol

shortline10
11-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Yep thanks for lunch !!!!
Thats how the comment box should be filled out LOL .

Mike, I was Just paying you back for the lunch you bought me, those 3 wheeler parts where free right?

=P lol

bkm
11-16-2011, 06:37 PM
I just noticed that if you send someone money as a gift and its withdrawn from your bank account, you are charged the 3% fee. This is the first time I have noticed this. If you have the money in your paypal account already the fee is not charged.

So if you know your going to be making a payment in the near future and your account is empty, deposit the money in there first if you can to aviod the charge.

shortline10
11-16-2011, 06:58 PM
I just sent a gift transaction on Nov 14 and their was no 3% charge to me . I never keep funds in my paypal account .
Strange !!!!

I just noticed that if you send someone money as a gift and its withdrawn from your bank account, you are charged the 3% fee. This is the first time I have noticed this. If you have the money in your paypal account already the fee is not charged.

So if you know your going to be making a payment in the near future and your account is empty, deposit the money in there first if you can to aviod the charge.

bkm
11-16-2011, 07:23 PM
I just sent a gift transaction on Nov 14 and their was no 3% charge to me . I never keep funds in my paypal account .
Strange !!!!Yeah, this is the first time I have seen this also. Who know's?:wondering

Dirtcrasher
11-16-2011, 09:55 PM
I have seen this also. Fee goes to the recipient.........

bkm
11-16-2011, 10:11 PM
I have seen this also. Fee goes to the recipient.........On this one there was a box that I could have un-checked to dump the fee's on the recipient or leave it checked to charge me the fee's. In all reality I don't have problem with it, they have to make their money too. They way I look at it a money order would have cost me more than the $2.33 to send it.

atc007
11-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Ok,my .02. NOT a fan of them! But,,, a necessary evil,,{and dam convenient I might add},,Collecting the money for our 2 friends,,they never gave me ANY crap. Bryan,,I THINK,,if there is a credit card involved,,primary or back up,,and your accounts empty,,there's a fee. I have averted that a couple times. Mosh,,I like the way you think. That all makes sense to me. But,with collecting all that loot for the donations,,I was absolutely EXPECTING a letter just like what you got Mike!. Hasn't happened yet! Keep us posted Mike,,it could get ugly.. I Hope not!

tri again
11-19-2011, 10:46 AM
I just got an email from paypal saying my account was compromised
and I should open the attachment and confirm my credit card number.

Funny, I don't even HAVE a paypal account. but I LOVE the thrill of opening attachments from
questionable sources and posting my ccard numbers just for the asking.
Do people really fall for this stuff?

But anyway,
007 says necessary evil?
I should probably have one, right?
Are there any other real choices?

I like the story of the 20 something kid that was smart enough
to START paypal.
Boy, did I miss the boat!

atc007
11-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Hey Doc,,how's that tooth!? I used to get those emails,,,ALLL the time! Haven't in Years! Necessary evil....I'll tell you what! TIME,,is something I have None of! The choice between,,sitting here,and clicking 3 times to send money,,,,OR.... Finding my stamps,envelopes,and a PEN,,in this house... 10 of us.. Then getting out the checkbook,writing a check,,following THAT money trail thru to make sure the bank didn't rip me,,the other party WAITING for snail mail,,Possibly waiting for MY check to clear.......SERIOUSLY!??? Yep,,I NEED my Paypal! No problem,,like others said here,with them making their money,,,but Between Ebay AND them... It can be a little much. Others? I've seen a couple others checking out from an Ebay auction..A blue background is all I remember.. A few times.. It worked WELL,,,BUT,,,I can't remember it! Therefore,,it isn't ppal....

shortline10
11-20-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm just going to play it SMART :lol: wont give them any reason for RED FLAGS :w00t:

tri again
11-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Hey Doc,,how's that tooth!? I used to get those emails,,,ALLL the time! Haven't in Years! Necessary evil....I'll tell you what! TIME,,is something I have None of! The choice between,,sitting here,and clicking 3 times to send money,,,,OR.... Finding my stamps,envelopes,and a PEN,,in this house... 10 of us.. Then getting out the checkbook,writing a check,,following THAT money trail thru to make sure the bank didn't rip me,,the other party WAITING for snail mail,,Possibly waiting for MY check to clear.......SERIOUSLY!??? Yep,,I NEED my Paypal! No problem,,like others said here,with them making their money,,,but Between Ebay AND them... It can be a little much. Others? I've seen a couple others checking out from an Ebay auction..A blue background is all I remember.. A few times.. It worked WELL,,,BUT,,,I can't remember it! Therefore,,it isn't ppal....

Thanks 007,
I jumped this one with 500mg amoxicillin asap.
Got it at the FARM store. Little know source of alternate emergency medications. BTW
Every other place was closed.

Anyway, I had a perfect paypay account 10 years ago
and my bank got sold (without my permission ;-) and the routing number changed and I was never able
to talk to anyone to fix it.
I was able to use a credit card to buy some sx parts on ebay as a paypal 'guest'.
Felt pretty special.
But I'd like to sell some stuff too so maybe it's time to grow up and face the paypal music.

Thorpe
11-23-2011, 01:38 AM
If you dont like the fees, then raise the price accordingly to accomodate.
On a 100$ sale, it is 4 bucks. I really dont think anyone will not buy the 100$ item or service, if you say it is 105$.

Where is the EXTRA dollar going Mosh???????? JK