PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Dye?

daledozer
11-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Anyone ever try dyeing plastic? My fenders are Maier and pink in spots from sun fade. Wasnt sure if this would work or if it would rub off.

AKTrike
11-15-2011, 03:01 AM
I'm not sure about dying plastic but i do know if you search around on here someone wrote a really good how to on restoring your plastic.

Lil Earl
11-15-2011, 08:37 PM
try this out
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/24247-Sanding-restoring-plastic.-How-to-guide?highlight=restoring+plastics

daledozer
11-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Sanding will not get the sun spots out, I think paint or replacement is what I am looking at now.

TatTooL23
11-16-2011, 04:18 AM
Sorry man, U r incorrect. Sanding will get them out. The sun fade is just on the surface. U can remove that layer then polish the new revealed color. It's an art but is possible. A member here, Mr. Clean, does an amazing job with it.

If the stain/discolor is all the way out both sides of the plastic then it obviously won't work. Like 86-87 tecate tanks that would stain straight through from the gas fumes mixed with oil.

3wheelwonder
11-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Hey i've got a suggestion not many people like it but it does make the plastic look new again. if u get a mini torch or a small butain torch and just litely heat the plastic with the tip of the flame it melts the plastic and makes it look new again but on the down side it tempers the plastic and makes it brittle. i had to fix my plastic like that way because it was dry rotten. it made the plastic go from crumbling apart in my hand to looking new and being brittle. it takes a little practice but u'll figure it out.

wytecraka
11-21-2011, 02:20 PM
theres always the dipping option, but talking to a guy that does it in shreveport, la i told him what i wanted and mentioned what i could get new maier fenders for and he said "that would be your best option"
never would give me a firm price, but guessing it was substantially higher than the new maiers.