PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust help

burnsboys
11-17-2011, 02:28 PM
got an 83 honda big red 200es and the exhuast is back puttn pretty badly. The exhaust is stock and old. Has the tip broke off right after muffler, so maybe its to short. No holes that i know off in the muffler and everything up into the engine is solid. I dont do any racing so i dont need a special high end exhuast thats loud. Primarely use it for hunting, just need to find a way to either fix what i have or find something not so exspensive to put on.

Parts Man
11-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Maybe try www.findmyatvpart.com for a used one.

tri again
11-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Some say a ford tactor muffler works and is cheap.
F04, I think. like 15$.
Gander mtn had an add on silencer for 50$
Can you repack it with steel wool or regular muffler repack?

I really don't like loud engines of any sort, either.

I'm gonna get yelled at for giving bad advice, but I shoved a 4$ lawnmower muffler in the blown out muffler can.
It was a one inch pipe diameter so I wasn't concerned with flow restriction.

Ya gotta consider the forest service approved muffler situation too tho, spark arrest etc.
if you ride on public lands.

I really like to keep these things stock.
Can't go wrong.

Danable
11-21-2011, 07:36 PM
how well does the steel wool fix work and what size steel wool should you use ?? i have this same problem with my muffler

tri again
11-21-2011, 08:02 PM
how well does the steel wool fix work and what size steel wool should you use ?? i have this same problem with my muffler

well first let me say I got the right stuff from a bike shop.
Fiberglass and packed it correctly.

Well when I fire it up, there was a cloud of sparkley glass fibers in the air the size of a freakin' house!
I didn't know which way to run. FMF or something ..

so? I went and bought some stainless steel pot scrubbers and packed with that stuff.
Still good after a year.

Steel wool can last but the coarser the better, it seems.
Don't pack too tight, make sure the center bracket or whatever it's called is in there.
I rolled up a piece of 1/4 inch galvanized screen and packed around that.
Firts time too tight and it was like a straight pipe loudwise.
Then to the bike shop for the "right stuff" nightmare.

and then to the ss pot scrubbing pads, like 4 or 5 packed loosely.

I'd like a plain old stock honda muff and be done with it all for another 25 years.

Danable
11-21-2011, 08:54 PM
yeah I agree but for a quick fix I'm going to try the pot scrubbers. Do any of you guys know of an aftermarket muffler that is quiet and as close to stock as possible. Just seems a little tough to find stock parts.