PDA

View Full Version : Painting a Frame

Popeye
11-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Hey ya'll, I'm looking for a little advice on painting my frame. Kinda got a low budget. Any advice on some inexpensive paint? I plan on doing a good job with the prepping. The frame has some rust but the original paint is at least 90% intact. I'm thinking I need to wire brush the bad spots and sand the good spots with high grit paper. Should I prime the whole frame or just the areas that were bad? How do I clean the bolt holes out good? And also what about the areas in the frame that are open? I have this fear of it rusting from the inside out lol. Finally, how do I clean the inside of where the triple clamp goes through? I won't be spraying in there, but I want to get any old grease and grit out of there.

Oh yea, I would also like to shine up my rotors and sprocket a bit. Any advice on that? I'm thinking maybe a steel wool or something, but I don't want to ruin
them.

I really appreciate any help and thanks alot to the guys who help out us outcasts in the New Member Section lol.

Thanks,
Brian

fischer1075
11-17-2011, 11:09 PM
i would just dull the finish with a red scotch brite and hit the bare spots with some etch primer than primer surfacer over the whole thing then topcoat it. or save up some cash to get it blasted and powdercoated. i would just fill the bolt holes with pb blaster and chase the threads. as for the headtube a wirewheel on a drill might work pretty well. as for the open areas you could just spray them the same color as your doing the rest of the frame. same deal with the sprocket and rotors, a scotch brite pad (grey maybe?). thats what i would do anyways, hope it helps. if you find a better way of doing it let me know because i am rebuilding my 86 350x this winter. good luck!

sweetip2000
11-18-2011, 01:35 AM
Hey ya'll, I'm looking for a little advice on painting my frame. Kinda got a low budget. Any advice on some inexpensive paint? I plan on doing a good job with the prepping. The frame has some rust but the original paint is at least 90% intact. I'm thinking I need to wire brush the bad spots and sand the good spots with high grit paper. Should I prime the whole frame or just the areas that were bad? How do I clean the bolt holes out good? And also what about the areas in the frame that are open? I have this fear of it rusting from the inside out lol. Finally, how do I clean the inside of where the triple clamp goes through? I won't be spraying in there, but I want to get any old grease and grit out of there.

Oh yea, I would also like to shine up my rotors and sprocket a bit. Any advice on that? I'm thinking maybe a steel wool or something, but I don't want to ruin
them.

I really appreciate any help and thanks alot to the guys who help out us outcasts in the New Member Section lol.

Thanks,
Brian

Do what the other guy said. Before you do any prepping do the rusty threads first with PJ blaster. Or liquid wrench, clean up the threads.
If the paint is in tact do not use high grit paper. Get 600 grit wet sand paper and simple green. Wet sand the paint with simple green. Do not go crazy. Just dull it scuff it up. You will be degreasing and sanding at the same time. Wipe it down with a damp paper towels. Then dry with paer towels. Get the cheap acetone from home depot. Wipe it down with acetone. For the paint. Get Dupont Nason. Ful-Base B/C
RS907IF Cal Spectramaster Code RS907 Color Spectramaster Red
PO/RO # 264 Get one pint. Its gonna cost 60 bucks. This color is almost dead on to stock oem honda red frame.

For the primer I use this primer which is like glue and will cover almost anything. Kustom 2K Urethane Primer. You will need one quart Part A. about 25 bucks and Kustom 2KUrethane primer hardner Part B. One pint. about 16 bucks.

If the rust is not that bad just use the etching high rise primer in an aerosol can, you can get it at the automotive supply store. Spot prime it where the rust is. Keep your distance when you shoot that rattle can.

So out the door your lookin at a little over 100 dollars for paint and primer.
6 bucks for acetone.

If your really good with the brush you can brush it on but only brush in one direction. Do not back brush. 2 coats will cover. Best to shoot it on.
I brush mine with a one inch natural bristle brush. Make sure acetone is near by to clean your brush, more than 2 minutes and it will be a soldier.

If you clear coat it wont touch up as good. So I keep mine matte finish just color and no clear, I think you will like the way that Dupont Red looks.
Just use the code I gave you.

Good luck, take before and after pics, and theres your 100 dollar make over.

falloutboy
11-19-2011, 08:27 AM
If your really looking to do it on the cheap. Valspar anti rust Regal Red is also a pretty close match and can be had at most hardware stores for ~$10/quart.