PDA

View Full Version : Can I have your credit card number? "SPOOFING" is legal!

tri again
11-18-2011, 01:49 AM
Caller id says Florida 813 999 0000 so I know it has to be legit.
Save $ on your interest rate, press 9.

I asked what company it was and he said visamastercard.
and asked for my cc number.

I usually try to find out what state they're calling from by asking how's the weather
while I'm 'fumbling for my card' but he hung up on me when I asked too many questions.

I bet I get 3-5 of these bs calls a day!

Private home line, do not call list etc etc, fake phone numbers, and if you do call them back, the first thing they say is
press ## to be removed from our list.

It's like junk emails. If you click to be removed, it just confirms your address and they sell it to anOTHER thousand idiots.

Spoofing is legal and I could put any number on my outgoing caller id
and it could say IRS or
trixies trikes
or ICE
or fbi and it's freakin' legal!

If you CAN get the company name and what state they're in,
you can file 500$ / 1000, maybe more in small claims court.

But if you ask the company name they'll lie or just hang up
and then autocall you 1,000 more times asking for card numbers.

Call blocking doesn't work because the numbers are not real.
Phone company has no suggestions except to vote against the spoofing laws.

HA!
Thanks.
I feel better.

300rman
11-18-2011, 01:44 PM
While I can see the problem, I dont want spoofing to be illegal, it also has its uses.

Maybe make it illegal when used in a manner to get someone's information, but using it to get some trailprohole to pick up the phone when he is ignoring you is priceless!

Howdy
11-19-2011, 03:03 AM
I have had the same thing happen to me. i DON'T have any credit cards either. different phone number though and press 1 to lower the rates. I was sick of getting these calls. So on the last call i received, i played the game. i bs'ed the amount of debt and intersted rate i had, and gave him a fake card number. after a minute, he said the card number wasn't processing, i said a couple nasty things to him, he called my mom a b!tch and i haven't gotten one of those calls in almost 2 months.

my wife also got a call from a local number here saying she won like $25000 and they needed her card number to put the money to it. Who falls for this crap????

A lot of people fall for this crap other wise they wouldn't keep doing it. I also used to get these calls myself. When they want to lower my credit card interest I simply tell them I would be happy to good enough credit to get a credit card. I then tell them I can't get any credit because I am in the middle of bankrupcy ( I actually have pretty good credit ). When they realize they are wasting their time calling me they quit calling. Try it and you will see just how well it works. At least it did for me.
Howdy

tri again
11-19-2011, 10:33 AM
While I can see the problem, I dont want spoofing to be illegal, it also has its uses.

Maybe make it illegal when used in a manner to get someone's information, but using it to get some trailprohole to pick up the phone when he is ignoring you is priceless!

Excellent point!
I was too aggravated to think of the positive possibilities.
I love it when awol criminals show up to claim their 'free football tickets' and
then get 3 hots and a cot.

300rman
11-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Excellent point!
I was too aggravated to think of the positive possibilities.
I love it when awol criminals show up to claim their 'free football tickets' and
then get 3 hots and a cot.

Besides, Im pretty sure mis-representing themselves to steal your identity is illegal, and then using your credit card info is also illegal. So spoofing being legal or not, I cant see it stopping them from doing it because everything else they are doing is already illegal.

Moral of the story is dont give out sensitive info over the phone. When you talk to your bank, etc they are only going to take the last 4 digits of a card number or acct, because they are already looking at the number in the first place.

Headsup
11-19-2011, 05:31 PM
LoL, Yea I just got a Paper today about a line of credit. Googled some complaints, Turns out they just take your money and run. fake name , Company ETC. They even ask for your SSN..

I say If they don't talk in an english accent i can understand, I hang up. Then call them 1000 times, And simply ask "How do you like it"