PDA

View Full Version : Tri-FZ450

3wheelwonder
11-20-2011, 07:32 PM
I just bought a tri-z rolling chassi the other day and i'm trying to find a front fender and a front brake caliper. I bought the frame so i could do an engine swap with a wfz450. its gona be crazy fast. the four wheeler was running 96mph when i bought it and it had a slight hesitation off idle. ive been tunning on it and it still hesitates off idle but i ran it the other day and it ran roughly at 108-110mph. but im pretty sure ill need a front brake on something this fast.

audioworks04
11-20-2011, 07:43 PM
First what is a wfz, is it a yfz? If so your hesitation is probably due to the leak jet in the fcr carb, you can change just the leak jet or buy an adjustable leakjet. Second, you are aware that is is not an easy project right? This is far from a from a drop in project, there is alot of frame mods needed. This has been done before so do some research before you go cutting apart a tri z frame.

3wheelwonder
11-20-2011, 09:04 PM
lol!!!! dude this is childsplay to me. idk what a leak jet is? i know i changed the main jet from a 170 to a 190 and it has a lot more power and its still not running rich. after i changed the main i had to change the pilot from a 48 to a 55 and that almost eliminated the entire hesitation problem. theres only one small engine backfire after u run out the rpms of 5th gear and let out of the throttle fast. ive been doing a lot of carb tunning and rigth know im waiting on some bigger pilet jets to come in. no offense but ive already mocked up the engine and it will fit in the frame. the only thing im gona cut is the engine guard on the tri-z frame. the reason for that is the engine casing to sqeeze between it. and yes ive devised a way to get to the oil drain. the exaust is gona b so easy to run. the only thing im worried about is the radiator cooling capacity. im welding the two temp sending units into the tri-z radiators and i bought some used electric fans off a junk crouch rocket and there gona fit the radiator quite well. if i dont have big enough radiators ill just tig weld up the frame so i can fill it up with water for more cooling capacity. theres plenty room to make a custom aluminum oil resivor in front of the frame. and i know that i hafta keep the oil resevoir at the correct height or it wont work correctly. and ill make a cool rock deflector for the resevoir im putting the gas tank were the air filter use to go. custom aluminum gas tank of course. im probly gona put a special access point under the gas cap that way i wont hafta pull the gas tank each time i check the plug or change it. all i hafta do is weld a pipe inside the tank with a pipe plug on top and that will solve that problem. i wonder why yamaha didnt think of that on there yfz450. cause its a hassle to pull the tank each time. and im using the factory 450 air box and filter. and im making a battery box under the seat. if i have any problems lineing up the chain ill just put the 450 swing arm under it and yes ive already pulled it and made sure it fits no problem. the only thing i might hafta make thats gona b kinda touchy is the carberator throte angle but u never know it might work perfect. and if i cant find tri-z plastis the 450 plastic fits the frame and its already got a battery box. all i hafta cut on the plastic is under the seat. that way the factory tri-z seat latch will work. and yes the seat is a little off but at first glance it looks bad*** on that frame. all this stuff is easy for me to do cause im a machinist welder and fabricator. and i do a lot of custom auto work. ive been doing stuff like this since i was kid and im 22 now.

fabiodriven
11-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Wow. Got any pics?

3wheelwonder
11-20-2011, 09:29 PM
yea just gota give me a little while im on my friends computer. so ive gota ask why does it read (i did not design the carb for the atc 250sx)

fabiodriven
11-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Oh, I had just picked up a really nice ATC 250SX. One of the few things it needed was a carb clean. I'm pretty well experienced mechanically and have cleaned hundreds of carbs so I figured "No big deal". Turns out it's not the easiest carb to remove if you've never had one apart. My personal opinion is that it's an awful, awful design. I got it done after I threw a little hissy fit.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/136075-Carb-problem-86-250SX?highlight=

3wheelwonder
11-21-2011, 01:04 AM
ive got a 250 sx and i only paid $300 for it and it runs great and smoke great. i drive the absolute hell out of it. i take off wide open and never check up it is a real trooper. im thinking about rebuilding it or doing a 300ex motor swap. do u know anyone thats done this?

fabiodriven
11-21-2011, 10:56 AM
300EX? No way. The SX is shaft drive and the EX is chain. It wouldn't work.

There are guys on here who have swapped in the TRX300 engine though. I don't know where to find the threads on it, but try giving it a search.

3wheelwonder
11-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Im not too good at remembering four wheeler specs. I usally just see a motor and i try to figure out the size of it and i look at the casing design to see what it will switch out with. And theres usally a small amount of machine work to be done.

Mosh
11-21-2011, 10:07 PM
This should be good. Waiting to hear/see more.:naughty:

audioworks04
11-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Right there with you mosh ;)

Red Rider
11-23-2011, 09:16 PM
When I saw the thread title, the first thing I thought of was a 3-wheeled Ford F-450. Not a good mental image, I might add!

badass350x
11-23-2011, 11:14 PM
when i saw the thread title, the first thing i thought of was a 3-wheeled ford f-450. Not a good mental image, i might add!

lmfao!!!!!!

SWRWIZ1
11-26-2011, 04:33 PM
I just bought a tri-z rolling chassi the other day and i'm trying to find a front fender and a front brake caliper. I bought the frame so i could do an engine swap with a wfz450. its gona be crazy fast. the four wheeler was running 96mph when i bought it and it had a slight hesitation off idle. ive been tunning on it and it still hesitates off idle but i ran it the other day and it ran roughly at 108-110mph. but im pretty sure ill need a front brake on something this fast.

I smell something fishy here... this poster is refering to a YFZ450 that does 108-110 mph? I got several crisp 100's that would bet this is not remotely close to correct.. BTW I have Video of 3 YFZ's all modded with a radar gun that do not break 70mph full out top gear on flat sand..

Now with that being said his jetting reference is quite off also, if you have a 450 running that large of main jet you have a severe air leak in you intake tract somewhere and like was mentioned above chances are you are missing your leak jet completely. while most piped, filtered jetted YFZ's run 52 to 55 pilots..

audioworks04
11-26-2011, 11:47 PM
agreed my built 05 crf450 motor runs a 185 main 48 pilot and will murder a stock yfz and not touch 100mph, 70mph is cooking on 3 or 4 wheels. I am also confused with the sx post in this thread.

KASEY
11-27-2011, 12:07 AM
yfz's have a very close ratio 5 speed and to get it to run 110mph,,,,, well i think you would need a push truck because 1st would be so high!!!

my yfz has a 190 main and a 52 pilot @1000' elevation, stock pipe and aircleaner with athena 478 kit.

briano
11-27-2011, 02:05 AM
To run 110 mph you would have to have that thing in the back of a truck!

Chazz of Blades
11-27-2011, 02:53 AM
Wait a second. Florence? I'm from Lexington. Cool! I might have to stop by and check out this build some time.

Some of these older members will remember my 85 200X with an 06 CRF450 engine in it........

SWRWIZ1
11-27-2011, 02:21 PM
The case will not clear a front sprocket large enough to pull the ratio to make those speeds possible.. Why on earth would you run stock pipe and box and a big bore kit? that is like wipping before you poop.. If you were to go to a smaller main jet, larger pilot with a different needle, combined with a larger diameter head pipe you could get a more smooth power curve, with less heat build up... we ran a few dyno tests a year or so ago to find some differences that is what we come up with..

KASEY
11-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Why on earth would you run stock pipe and box and a big bore kit? that is like wipping before you.......

thats the way i roll.. the pipe has been modified to work just fine ,, i added a +12 oz flywheel and it really made a big difference in midrange torque,, not to many people keep up with me the way it is ,, so why listen to a LOUD pipe allday if you don't need to???

heavy metal185x
02-10-2012, 05:46 PM
no not really this is one of my friends from high school and he is a genious on this stuff he has an 87 toyota truck with a home built race engine it was a 350 but now who knows maybe close to 383 stroker it has aluminum heads powerglide lakepipes and under the hood it looks factory clean no wires nothing and he did it all himself and i mean all of it i though he was crazy but its been his daily driver for 3 years, hell in high school he had a green go cart he welded himself and designed himself with an 8 hp block that he put a piston from a 24hp riding mower in and it would go about hell 160 170 it ran a sh*t load quicker a 660 raptor that was built out the ass to 737cc though my friend lynn wouldnt have admitted it you should have seen his hair or his red eyes and white lips after he rode it and a mustang and MANY police he's genious on friction reduction and gear ratio he built it belt drive w/no cluch just a pedal actuated pully to tighten it like a tiller it idled at 60 and would still smoke tires but on the yfz the front sprocket is as big as it can be 14 16 teeth ? but the ass sprocket isnt much bigger than a large orange or a small grapefruit and it still pulls good in 1st i promise i seen him almost hit a tree from spinning sideways in 2nd the boy is smart like you meet one of these people once in your life if your lucky he started building engines when he was 5 or 6 he grew up basically around a junk yard and his uncles auto body shop but i remember this from school all the haters sorry but hes badass and has no reason to lie to you guys hell go to you tube and type in heavy metal 3 wheeler and listen to my 185s motor he built and watch the tires roost mud

Mosh
02-11-2012, 09:28 AM
no not really this is one of my friends from high school and he is a genious on this stuff he has an 87 toyota truck with a home built race engine it was a 350 but now who knows maybe close to 383 stroker it has aluminum heads powerglide lakepipes and under the hood it looks factory clean no wires nothing and he did it all himself and i mean all of it i though he was crazy but its been his daily driver for 3 years, hell in high school he had a green go cart he welded himself and designed himself with an 8 hp block that he put a piston from a 24hp riding mower in and it would go about hell 160 170 it ran a sh*t load quicker a 660 raptor that was built out the ass to 737cc though my friend lynn wouldnt have admitted it you should have seen his hair or his red eyes and white lips after he rode it and a mustang and MANY police he's genious on friction reduction and gear ratio he built it belt drive w/no cluch just a pedal actuated pully to tighten it like a tiller it idled at 60 and would still smoke tires but on the yfz the front sprocket is as big as it can be 14 16 teeth ? but the ass sprocket isnt much bigger than a large orange or a small grapefruit and it still pulls good in 1st i promise i seen him almost hit a tree from spinning sideways in 2nd the boy is smart like you meet one of these people once in your life if your lucky he started building engines when he was 5 or 6 he grew up basically around a junk yard and his uncles auto body shop but i remember this from school all the haters sorry but hes badass and has no reason to lie to you guys hell go to you tube and type in heavy metal 3 wheeler and listen to my 185s motor he built and watch the tires roost mud

This has to be about #2 on the Top Ten lists of "the worst things I have had to read on the internet"..For the love, use some punctuation. It may actually be close to a record for the longest run on sentence ever.

redsled
02-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Yeah thats pretty bad allright, I"m not entirely sure if all thats actually meant to be serious or just trying to sound obnoxious...!

Just-Tri-It
02-11-2012, 10:49 AM
I smell something fishy here... this poster is refering to a YFZ450 that does 108-110 mph? I got several crisp 100's that would bet this is not remotely close to correct.. BTW I have Video of 3 YFZ's all modded with a radar gun that do not break 70mph full out top gear on flat sand..

Now with that being said his jetting reference is quite off also, if you have a 450 running that large of main jet you have a severe air leak in you intake tract somewhere and like was mentioned above chances are you are missing your leak jet completely. while most piped, filtered jetted YFZ's run 52 to 55 pilots..

No offense SWRWIZ1, but the reason your bike is so slow is you're to high up in elevation in Oregon. Down here in the south we're closer to sea level. Man, we got gators that can run 60 mph flat footed across land. That's part of the reason our bikes are so fast...the other reason is our wives. lol

ezmoney1979
02-11-2012, 11:02 AM
but the ass sprocket isnt much bigger than a large orange or a small grapefruit
Wtf is an ass sprocket?

Red Rider
02-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Wtf is an ass sprocket?I don't know. Maybe it's something to help "get your ass in gear."

heavy metal185x
02-11-2012, 03:17 PM
why use punctuation on a trike site hell im not writing a fabrication resume You guys know what i meant. rear drive sprocket but i prob do sound obnoxoius but all through school people were like this it pisses me off you will see though i will make it a point to put a video on youtube to show it maybe ill ride beside him in the car and show the speed on the dash and the way he is hes gonna be mad at me for posting all of this but i gotta set it all right oh yeah have you guys ever seen anyone do a wheelie then lean onto one tire and hop it like a pogo stick? i really need to tape that my tube channel is heavymetalATC ill try to make the vids this week and post them next friday sorry to be an ass if i was.

heavy metal185x
02-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Hey, I started this stale thread going good again anyway, if nothing else.<perfect punctuation ;)

4x4van
02-11-2012, 03:50 PM
This is all a bunch of _____, IMO. Wait, maybe he means KPH rather than MPH? :)

Red Rider
02-11-2012, 07:22 PM
why use punctuation on a trike site hell im not writing a fabrication resume You guys know what i meant.Because those of us that frequent this site, and read the threads, don't like getting a headache while trying to doing so. If you don't know how to use punctuation, just tell us. We'll understand.

Just-Tri-It
02-11-2012, 09:49 PM
This is one more trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro screwed up thread. Sumbodies either smelling gas or smokin crack.

Know wat I mean Vern?

Squrl
02-11-2012, 11:18 PM
383 stroker in a TOYOTA!!! best mechanic in the states!! lmao

wisconsinite
02-12-2012, 03:17 AM
Putting a small block in a toyota is not unheard of. Just sayin...

Knobby Addict
02-12-2012, 10:44 AM
This is one more trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro screwed up thread. Sumbodies either smelling gas or smokin crack.

Know wat I mean Vern?

I know what you mean...However, It is entertaining!

3wheelwonder
03-03-2019, 06:19 PM
Here's my old Yamaha

yaegerb
03-03-2019, 07:48 PM
Holy old thread Batman. This may take top spot for oldest resurrected. That seat doesn’t look comfortable at all.

roguemode
03-03-2019, 08:44 PM
Awesome thread though...

Thought you were going to use the 450 swingarm?

He'll probably never be back.

HondaRidr
03-03-2019, 10:51 PM
He actually built it! :lol: That tank looks pretty neat.