PDA

View Full Version : what other engines can i fit into a 200x???

HONDA TRIKESTER
11-21-2011, 01:15 PM
hey, kinda new , i have a 200x good shape, but motor needs topend jop and couple other small parts, i would really like to put something different in it, like an old honda motorcycle engine, like a 200 or250 maybe 350 twin does any body have any ideas or feedback on that idea? of course if anybody has a good 200x motor they want to get ride of i would be interested in that too, also what happened to classifieds on here, first time in a week and a half and had to reset my passord is this why it won't let me access classifieds?:wondering

jb2wheels
11-21-2011, 01:38 PM
You want bolt ins or a project?

Bolt ins:
Lifan/Loncin Chinese clones
CRF230
XR/XL 200
XL 185
ATC 200 & 185 family

There are probably others I missed.

Some will require wiring mods and all will require brake pedal mods.

Depending on what your engine needs, a top end refresh will probably be cheaper than any of these options. Crack it open and see what it needs. A dingle-ball hone, valve lap, and rings can do wonders for an old 4 stroke.

With all the old Honda engines, you're gambling on getting something worse than you have. Like a trip to the eye doctor - better? worse? same?
The Chinese clones are great but probably $500 delivered. You can do better if you have patience and scour Craigslist everyday if you're not in a hurry.
I have not seen a cheap CRF230 engine yet. I wish I could. That's what I wanted but I would rather spend $1K on a 350x project.

I have 2 84 200x's. One has the stock engine. The other has an OHV Loncin 200cc that came in a dirt bike I bought of CL for $180. That was a score but I looked for 6 months or so before I found it.

ezmoney1979
11-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Why dont you just rebuild the 200X topend?? The stock suspension is pretty taxed with just a decent 200 motor as it is, so in my opinion it is pointless to swap to a heavier, more powerful motor without addressing handling issues first.

HONDA TRIKESTER
11-21-2011, 02:16 PM
ya, maybe i should just fix the engine i got, its all there, minus stator cover, was just kinda wanting more power, but i just sold my other 200x and honestly it had enough power to keep front wheel up , enough power for me. anybody in illinios/indiania want to do some work on it for me, for some cash or i have a 1983 185s that runs, i would give up for the 200x to be running again. i am busy rebuilding 75' honda cb750 for a buddy. i have no time right now. thats kinda why i was looking for something that would bolt up or have minor fabrications. thanks for the info everybody

hoosierlogger
11-21-2011, 02:59 PM
I am in West Central Indiana. I could rebuild the top end of your motor for you. I have done 2 200x motors and 3 200s motors. I can do it, but it might be a couple of weeks. Heck you arent that far from me either. I think I even have a stator cover for it. send me a pm with your info and Ill give you a call.

tri again
11-21-2011, 03:44 PM
I have what may be called an auto x.
Seems to be a common swap.
185 or 200 auto engine fits, but it probably is heavier and some
torch / welding mods necessary for brake pedal.

It was my first full suspension trike before I found the 85+ es / sx's.

If the rest of your 'x' is good and you know the machine, shifts correctly etc
I think a top end refresh might be easier.
now IF you had a good donor 185 or 200 auto, engine, it would have to have some major frame failure
to rationalize dismembering it...for me personally.

and remember that motorcycle engines kick start the 'other' way
if you find one that fits.
I almost made that mistake but 007 saved me.