PDA

View Full Version : carb issues

bessybait
11-21-2011, 08:27 PM
I am thinking of replacing the carb on my 85 200s. Are the ones on ebay any good or should I rebuild the one I have? any thoughts?

kprey
11-21-2011, 09:55 PM
just bought one for my 82 atc200 and was great out of the box, direct bolt on for me,

m.j.zee was the seller, he is a top rated seller, shipped fast, I had no issues... he has a bunch of different carbs for most trikes.

when you look at his auctions there is a Letter in the description, "L" stands for lever operated and "C" stands for cable operated... fyi

hope this helps....

Lil Earl
11-21-2011, 11:16 PM
it all depends what is wrong with it, first off, i would just try cleaning it, grab a can of cleaner and just clean it real good and see what happens, i usually have good luck that way if it has been sitting for a while, but if it is worn or bad, just try cleaning it first

bessybait
11-22-2011, 07:44 AM
Thanks. I have already cleaned it twice along with the gas tank. I just cant seem to get it to run right/consistantly.

tri again
11-22-2011, 04:58 PM
You mean it runs good for a while? and then it doesn't
or you have to let it sit for a while like hot / cold cycle?
or maybe the gas cap is NOT venting? like it will run for a few minutes and die, then you walk away
annoyed for a few minutes and it will start again?
or starts again after you check the gas for the hundredth time letting air in so the gas will flow ?
That kinda stuff helps to figure it out.

Misses? stalls? and putting the choke on a little doesn't help?

Could be accumulation of rust dust under the cover that says 'cdi' on it.

I mean, I wish that a 15 minute carb cleaning is the answer or a 20$ direct replacement carb
but just thinking about intermittent spark type aggravation.

what is it doing / not doing?

bessybait
11-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Hi again Drjoe. yes all that. It seems to run well for a while and then it will just die. Sometimes it will start right back up and some times it wont. I have gotten it all warmed up ajusted the idle and then when I let it cool down and start it again it will race. I did check the gas cap and it seems clear. The gas seems to flow clear and fine to the carb so I dont think thats it.

I happened to find replacment carbs on ebay for around $25 and to me that seems cheap. Its almost worth it just to try if they are not just cheap junk.

Its a good thing I bought this thing cheap and as a tinker toy or I would really be getting aggravated.

Where is that "CDI" cover I havent checked that i dont think?

hoosierlogger
11-23-2011, 09:47 AM
+1 on the ebay china carbs. They work great and are easier that a rebuild.

bessybait
11-23-2011, 11:19 AM
thanks. I think they are only a few dollars more than the rebuild kits anyway.

518buggie
11-23-2011, 05:37 PM
im sure ebay would be fine.
rebuilding the one you have now would be cheaper tho

Ride on:TrikesOwn