PDA

View Full Version : 220s honda 1986 atc wont fire

clintach
11-26-2011, 07:54 PM
I have a 200s that i have replaced the ignition coil spark plug and checked the cam setting. I am getting spark but cant get the motor to even fire or backfire. It is kida hard to pull start so i think the compression if good. wont even fire on ether. hope someone can give me some help thanks

tri again
11-26-2011, 10:59 PM
new to you?
have you ever heard it run?

Good compression....maybe too good? like the timing is off?

200s, I forget but wonder if there is an advance plate
with little springs that may have gotten stuck in the advance position.
Usually runs off the cam.

Just guessing. The advance may come from the cdi for all I know.

Manuals are free in the world class help section.

Someone who knows will surely chime in.

clintach
11-26-2011, 11:18 PM
well i took the advance plate off today to get to the cam to check the timing chain and it looked like 2 springs use to be on it any only one was still there. Think that would be the problem

tri again
11-27-2011, 01:35 AM
well i took the advance plate off today to get to the cam to check the timing chain and it looked like 2 springs use to be on it any only one was still there. Think that would be the problem

2 springs hold 2 weights and make them 'return' after revving.

If they are stuck in 'advance' position, the spark will fire waaay on the way up for the piston,
wrenching your hand and trying to fire with the piston on it's way up.

It wants to fire a few degrees before it hits top dead center.

so yea, try to find a spring and make sure that plate rotates freely.
Hey, if you can't get to the manuals, let me (us) know and we'll try to find the exact answer for you.

Manuals are in the 'world class help' section.

so? did you ever hear it run?
did you buy it non running?

cool machines for sure and worth fixing.

My favorite honda comment is...
fix this and that and they'll run forever.....AGAIN!

clintach
11-27-2011, 01:40 PM
no i have never heard it run and I have a manual. Its not trying to fire at all thats what im not understand when i spray ether in it nothing happens. I just figured it would back fire since it had spark.

bessybait
11-27-2011, 07:55 PM
hows the gas? any water in the gas or condensation in the cylinder could causes it not to fire and make the recoil hard or seem like its jamming. The new gas with ethonal causes that problem at least thats what I think But I am NO expert.

clintach
11-27-2011, 10:04 PM
the gas is new and I have the tank off at the moment I have just been using starter fluied. When i turn the motor ove the advance plate opens and closes. Shound it open all the way when just turning it over very slow by hand.

clintach
11-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Ok got it running thank you thank you. After I got it running the head gasket underneath the spark plug started leaking. Can I replace it without taking the motor off or can I out liquid gasket over top the old gasket.

SWRWIZ1
11-29-2011, 12:37 AM
you need to pull the head off and put a new gasket on it... liquid gasket will only make a mess of your problem. remember you head gasket is a compression gasket liquid gasket is only made for sealing gaskets.

clintach
11-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Does the motor have to come all the way out in order to change the gasket

badass350x
11-29-2011, 10:18 AM
No motor doesn't have too come out! But be sure too use penetrating oil on the exhaust studs and use some heat on them before you try and loosen them or you will break them off.

tri again
11-29-2011, 04:55 PM
are you sure it's not the valve covers leaking?
How's your compression..you said it felt monsterous.

x2 with exhaust studs.

I spray ALL of mine a few times a year just in case I have to .......
Don't even want to think about it.
Just be careful

tri again
11-29-2011, 05:13 PM
are you sure it's not the valve covers leaking?
How's your compression..you said it felt monsterous.

x2 with exhaust studs.

I spray ALL of mine a few times a year just in case I have to .......
Don't even want to think about it.
Just be careful
Super careful, off a little, on a little, that kinda thing.
No more than very light torque until you're sure it's spinning and NOT tristing the stud off.

HF has a nut cracker for 3 bucks on sale.
Looks like it might fit to simply split the nut off.

clintach
11-29-2011, 10:35 PM
they came off fine but it does not seam like there is room to get the head off the studs without taking it all the way out