PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issues cdi or stator problem? read this

steve86trx250r
11-26-2011, 07:54 PM
First off I'm not running down anybody's products but would like to inform due to my recent electrical problems about what I've concluded. As anybody knows most ppl won't take cdi's or stators back some offer no warranty whatsoever which is understandable. Lucky for me I have a buddy with a shop who will and although just a parts dealer and not a full service shop owner has done everything to help me track down my electrical problem on my 250r including taking parts off of his to put on mine which his happens to be on a shelf on display so when he sees me coming he knows to get the ladder out. Ok if you ARE having electrical issues such as stator or cdi problems check out rm stators website it's a canadian based company but they do stand behind they're cdi boxes and offer a 1 yr replacement warranty on those I assume the same on stators. My R has the ricks hot shot box and they're stator as well both were bought new at same time by PO to fix a no firing issue although it did run it wasn't right running lean etc which after trying my buddies 85 harness and rmstator cdi it ran great. His had a bad stator we put my ricks stator on his it ran fine so we ruled stator completely out, but after going through my harness and 3 or 4 cdi boxes 2 that were NOS Honda cdi's we only got fire as soon as I stopped kicking it but put my hot shot cdi and it fired up just not running right last resort grab the multimeter and check stator against buddies bike, had a bad pulse generator,luckily the one on his bad stator was good so we put it on mine. The weird part was my stator would run fine with the rm stator cdi guess it must me configured to run with a lower resistance or it's just not as sensitive as the oem Honda cdi hope this will help somebody out

tri again
11-26-2011, 10:55 PM
wow.
I wonder if the search key has any info.
Sounds like some good detective work.
Sometimes the greatest diagnosis is process of elimination.
Heck, some new car shop / factory manuals suggest a
'wiggle test'
True science.

Jordon001
12-02-2011, 07:54 PM
What would cause this?
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k639/jordon001/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4686.jpg

adam17
12-02-2011, 09:29 PM
How did you Test the stator with a multimeter? because on my 200m, I get around +/- 14 volts at idle when I unhook the plug with 2 wires and connect my meter, yet it doesnt keep the battery charged and its brand new?

steve86trx250r
12-03-2011, 01:51 AM
How did you Test the stator with a multimeter? because on my 200m, I get around +/- 14 volts at idle when I unhook the plug with 2 wires and connect my meter, yet it doesnt keep the battery charged and its brand new? we checked the output on my pulse coil first which turned out to be problem so that's as far as we went on testing it. If the stator is new it could be a short or a bad connection somwhere on the 200M

just ben
12-03-2011, 09:27 AM
How did you Test the stator with a multimeter? because on my 200m, I get around +/- 14 volts at idle when I unhook the plug with 2 wires and connect my meter, yet it doesnt keep the battery charged and its brand new? bad connection or the voltage regulator. test the DC output from the reg.

adam17
12-03-2011, 05:46 PM
I solved the problem today, it was the plug for the voltage regulator, it had a bunch of green rot. its all fixed now though. thanks guys.