PDA

View Full Version : HEY YALL WATCTH THIS! new from oklahoma/texas. with a big red!

Hondo76
11-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Hey im new my name is adam and im just getting in on trikes. i've rode plenty of atvs but never had one till now. i live on the red river right on the texas oklahoma border. Im 23 a decent fabricater and pretty good at wrenching. ive got a good mechanical background but a severe lack of knowledge about atv mechanics. so im looking foward to learning as i go and soaking up everything i can here.
so the story goes ive been looking for something to ride on my newly aqquired property and my brother tells me about this 86 250 es big red and a deal is struck for a old shotgun i had laying around. anyway i go ride it and it cranks right up by jumping the silonoid.due to a lost key. ride it a minute the haul it home.
anyways i get it home and try to start it the same way and it wont fire. so i pull the ingnition and tryu to devise a way to hot wire it it instead of useing the silinoid and no luck. mess with it for a day or so still nothing. take it to my buddys house and tack weld the shift arm for a temp fix while we tinker. any way some of is buddys come over that are good with em. turns out its flooded to all hell. and then i notice gas dripping out the bottom of the carb. any way we tinker awhile longer and get it kick started after a about 30 minutes of hum hawing and staring at it. runs like a champ no smoke. but cant ride it hardly because of the shifter. wich i have since fixed. i think the floats may be stuck? causing it to flood? so it wont fire up. im missing some parts thast i have no idea were to get.
front break lever ( could i get one from a random junk atv?)
head light assembly ( im thinking of cutting off the brakets and mounting a led or small spot light)

i have no idea as to how to even approch the wireing on this thing to find out if the start or kill switch work. it would be great if any of yall could give me some info. cause kick starting gets really old when the kicker almost never catches.
i think getting a electric start working is the first place to go the i can work on fuel problems.

Hondo76
11-27-2011, 12:03 PM
as of right now im lost as to where to start i fave the ignition out and the run/headlight control pulled of the bars.
also the " clutch" handle is very sloppy and loose can i fix this? what is this lever actually for since its not a clutch? just engaging reverse? do i vae to hold it in to start like a clutch?

Hondo76
11-27-2011, 12:05 PM
please forgive all of these dumb questions lol i am here to learn after all most of my experiance ans been on my friends or relatives newer quads and i would just get on em and tear ass lol never had to tinker with em.

coolpool
11-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Hondo you should re-write your questions in the 'New Member Discussion' section. It will probably get you your answers faster. Welcome to the site. There are manuals available that will help you out with the wiring. MonroeMike usually helps out with that.

Hondo76
11-27-2011, 03:21 PM
thanks man i had one up on there but i just put this one up for a introduction and a broader view of me and the problems im having with my big red.