PDA

View Full Version : pin holes in gas tank

bessybait
11-27-2011, 08:02 PM
I found four pin holes in the top of my gas tank. Is there any way to fix that?

wytecraka
11-27-2011, 09:40 PM
You can weld/repaint
Look up kreeme(sp) tank sealer.
Or my fav. Por15 tank sealer.

hoosierlogger
11-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Kreem tank sealer is junk. DO NOT use it.

badass350x
11-27-2011, 11:12 PM
The best way would be too braze it, the cheap and easy way is too JBweld it, It really Depends on how bad the rust is!

B S
11-27-2011, 11:40 PM
i use napa gas puddy or i braze it/weld it. it depends how bad it is

daniel_250r
11-28-2011, 12:14 AM
my 300ex had a hairline crack in the tank the other day i just sanded down the spot wiped it with acetone then put on some jb weld and smoothed it. its sitting with a full tank now and bone dry on the outside

Howdy
11-28-2011, 12:43 AM
I have used most tank liner kits in the past. The one that I have had 100% success with is Red-Kote. It blows all the others out of the water and is very durable.
Howdy

atc500x
11-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Weld it.I always weld pin hole with tin.and most of time I weld the tank with gas in it.I have a old big cupper shaft,heat it red with fire or simply put it in the stove. Grind the paint around the pin hole.heat the metal with the cupper shaft and simply weld with tin,and use welding flux.No fire,so no problem! I have weld many many tank with this method.The good point is that method doesn't burn the paint.A pin hole repaired is about 1/4 inch diameter weld,grind it and a small drop of paint and it's done.

Chazz of Blades
11-28-2011, 03:10 AM
Please kids, don't weld on anything full of of gasoline.

That's like running through the tiger enclosure dressed in raw beef.

What I did, was use an electrolysis process to clean all the rust out of the tank, after a few days of running, taking it out, drying it completely with a hair dryer, soaking it all in WD-40, stripping all the paint off, brazing all the problem areas, and repainting.

bessybait
11-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks everyone! I dont need it to be perfect, its not a show peice. I think I will try sealing it first. If I have time this winter I will take it down to the wearehouse and weld it. Got to build a hundered traps first and I need it to drag fire wood to my shop.

SWRWIZ1
11-29-2011, 12:46 AM
yea I tried welding a tank full of gas one time off some bad advise....Don't ever do it... Trust me.... I would use a center punch dimple where the pin holes are clean the area off all to bare metal, scuff it and JB weld it, let it sit and harden for a day or 2 then sand the JB weld off flush and be done with it.. Brazing it would be best but if you don't have the time or ability this works well..

badass350x
11-29-2011, 02:15 AM
WHY IN THE HELL WOULD ANYBODY TRY AND WELD A trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro GAS TANK WITH GAS IN IT???????? ARE YOU ALL THAT STUPID THESE DAYS??? TOO MUCH TV?? VIDEO GAMES? DRUGS? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU.

wytecraka
11-29-2011, 02:28 AM
If you're going to seal it now and plan on welding it later, you'll ruin the seal inside and have crap floating around in your
Tank.
The por15 tank sealer will most probably out last the rest of the tank. So once done with that no need to ever bother with
Welding.

bessybait
11-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks. I dont think I would ever try to weld a tank with gas in it. That just sounds like an accident waiting to happen. However I did consider using a shop vac to get any loose rust/crud out. But Im not sure thats a good idea either.

Can I get any of those sealers localy or do I need to order it online?

BiggDogg
11-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Why Does Everyone assume that when they talk about welding, they wont obviously empty and dry out the tank first??

Jason125m
11-29-2011, 03:10 PM
I have no doubts that atc500x welds gas tanks with gas in them, that guy in my books knows his shlt. However, i wouldn't recommend telling someone who had to ask this question.... to weld it with gas in it. What will work is... emptying the gas tank, putting your shop vac to blow, instead of suck, and putting it into the gas tank while you weld.

turtles_jeep
11-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Another option is to solder it. No flame just heat on the area that needs fixed. I have an older soldering iron that the tip is about 2" in diameter. I use it all the time when I need to fix a gas tank. Just wire brush the bad area clean it with brake clean then apply flux and solder. Done in about 1/2 hr and all body parts still attached, garage still in one piece and the fire dept doesnt get to add another story to their collection of stupid people.

bessybait
11-30-2011, 04:46 PM
soldering sounds like a good idea thanks.

atc500x
12-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Another option is to solder it. No flame just heat on the area that needs fixed. I have an older soldering iron that the tip is about 2" in diameter. I use it all the time when I need to fix a gas tank. Just wire brush the bad area clean it with brake clean then apply flux and solder. Done in about 1/2 hr and all body parts still attached, garage still in one piece and the fire dept doesnt get to add another story to their collection of stupid people.

It's exactly what I did.Most of time I remove gas,but no need to vent the tank.Easy and save the paint around the place to weld,no need to repaint a nice tank for a pin hole.

SWRWIZ1
12-04-2011, 10:30 PM
If you are smart enough to know gasoline (the liquid) does not burn, it is the vapor that is flamable, the idea with filling the tank with fuel is to eliminate the vapor, while in theory will work but it takes a learning curve to do it where you do not blow up. The way I did it once, long story but gas tank was not removable to empty and flush so on, we filled tank full of fuel and put plastic bag over filler hole and re-attached cap, this worked perfectly problem was spot to be welded was leaking vapor, once weld was started it caught fire, small flame bic lighter small I was able to weld spot closed and flame was put out due to no oxygen. I got lucky, and will never attempt it again, but it can be done, right way not a chance...

medic906
12-05-2011, 03:23 AM
I just got done using bondo fiberglass gauze/resin on my KLT tank and it definately is a better idea than going near a flammable substance such as gasoline with a flame or arc producing device. I don't want to have to explain to my wife why our garage is now a smoldering pile of ash so I would not attempt this due to my lack of experience repairing gas tanks :)