PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else hate L.E.D. Christmas Lights as much as me? RANT ALERT!

bkm
11-29-2011, 09:37 AM
I swear I hate these things with every fiber of my being. For the past three years we have had nothing but trouble with these damn things.

The first year half of them quit working half way through the season, the second year they worked fine the whole season, then at the beginning of this year I go to put them up and only half of every strand works.

So thank god we kept the receipt and take them back and get a new set from a different store. Put them up and what do you know, part of the 50' strand is not working. The first 1/4 is working and the last half is working. They have been up all of about two weeks. I was so damned pissed when I got home form work and saw this, I could have snapped someones neck and not thought twice about it.

I have checked the fuses and they are fine, so I guess a bulb is out somewhere along the way. Oh yeah we got freezing rain last night so getting up on the roof is out of the question for a while.

This will be the last year for L.E.D.'s on my house. I am switching to the good ole energy hogging screw-in old school strands and calling it done. /rant

Mosh
11-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Personally, I hate all Christmas lights..Bahh humbug..

If I could be plucked off the planet from Dec 1st until Febuary 30th and avoid all that crap, That would be fine by me.

And before anyone attacks me for that comment, look at the whole situation from a realistic point of view and be empathetic with my opinion..

briano
11-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Christmas decorations are nothing but a pain in the ass. You're better off to go around and check out the other lights that people put up. Let them deal with the headaches.

bkm
11-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Oh I agree, but my daughter just loves it, so, well you get the picture. I love getting together with my grandmother and my in-laws (<-- Yeah crazy I know) and if it could be about family getting together like it should be and not commercialized like it has become, I would love it. Unfortunately its all about who gets what and all that crap.

But right now I would like to beat the designer of the L.E.D. Christmas light within an inch of their life.

jb2wheels
11-29-2011, 11:31 AM
I understand and I agree with you Mosh but Mrs. JB does not so, since our house is a Democracy and I get 49% of the vote, I do what she says and those damn lights are up again this year...

If I could be plucked off the planet from Dec 1st until Febuary 30th and avoid all that crap, That would be fine by me.

And before anyone attacks me for that comment, look at the whole situation from a realistic point of view and be empathetic with my opinion..

rdlsz24
11-29-2011, 01:04 PM
I finished putting up our icicle lights on Saturday. I had to run to the store to get some replacements since some weren't working. Apparently they went bad in the storage box over the summer?? They were working fine when I put them away lol. I still use the white small glass bulbs. I don't like the "blue" tint to the led's

Rob

dcreel
11-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Just to show you how long it's been since I have put up Christmas lights.. I said "They have LED Christmas lights?" out loud when I first checked out this post.. LOL

Dirtcrasher
11-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Do what I do; I place a wreath on the front door and I'm done decorating.

Packing up is a snap :D

RIDE-RED 250r
11-29-2011, 07:01 PM
I have to admit, I love Christmas time. And I love putting lights on my house.

I kind of love/hate the LED lights. They are bright and vibrant, but once you get 10 feet away, the blue overpowers all the other colors. I still prefer the warm glow of the old school incandescent lights.....I better stock up before they get banned too!!!

bkm
11-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Well Christmas has been saved. I got some sleep today and woke up not so pissed off. I was lucky enough to have been able to use my 6' ladder and get it from the ground so I didn't have to get up on the roof. It was just what I thought, a factory defect. The wire that comes out of the bulb had broken inside the connector and caused an open in the circuit.

Funny thing is when I first noticed them this morning it was kinda light outside so it looked like 20 or so weren't working, but this afternoon as the sun went down they were all very dim except of course the one that was bad. So I swapped it out and Bam! Disaster averted!

No the real kick in the balls with these things is that under the colored outer shell, each light is the same color as the outer bulb part so if a red one goes out (like mine did) you would want to replace it with a red one. I thought they were all white underneath and the colored bulb made the particular color. Well to my surprise (<-- sarcasm) they only give you a yellow and a blue replacement bulb, so I now have one purple light. Par for the course.

Thorpe
11-29-2011, 11:56 PM

Amen Mosh! I made the wife put them up for the kids this year!!

Mr_RPM
11-30-2011, 02:53 AM
you guys dont leave yerr lights up all yerr? we keep em on the trailer all yerr long. plug em in december first and yurr dun.

=P its been 10+ years since we used Christmas lights.

tri again
11-30-2011, 06:30 AM
Guilty of all that is lazy.
I have christmas lights on all my motion sensors so it's a cross between
festive and functional, and trashy christmas lights all year long.

Also nicer than getting blinded by spotlights every time I go outside and plenty of light to
be able to walk around.

My Favorite shopping day is when the boxes of lights go from a few bucks each to
4 for a dollar.

plastikosmd
12-02-2011, 09:16 AM
"Do what I do; I place a wreath on the front door and I'm done decorating.

Packing up is a snap"

You are supposed to take the wreath down?
Note to self......

Xpress
12-02-2011, 02:36 PM
I go all out, don't give a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro about what anyone else says. I love it, bust mostly because i just like LED lights in general. Sounds like you're buying cheap chinese brand, not quality chinese brand. I have 6 strings of LED's and all are working like new, they've been through rain, mud, cold, rats, ect. all work like new.

atc007
12-02-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm as close to Santa as you're gonna get.. I LIVE for Christmas,and all that it is. YES,,Bryan,,you CANNOT buy lights that work anymore.. I hate Walmart and all the crap that comes in here Everyday from China. Having said that ,and understanding Exactly where you're coming from Mosh! LED"S are ALL that works for us?? These Mother Frigging icicle lights?? 4 new boxes!! ONE works. The rest,,half work. Not the fuses,,and granted ,, ALL of these are now stapled along the edge of our eaves!! Anyhow,,I could go on all day. I Love Christmas,and this time of the year. We donate tons of stuff to kids who aren't gonna have much,,or nothing at all..We volunteer at the school,,Santas workshop. I buy ALL of our decorations,and Anything else related,,on closeout in January and february,,ONE,,because I'm a tight trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. TWO,,because,,I KNOW they { Walmart} Are losing money at 90% off : ) !! Anyhow,,we buy up gifts and goodies,And our ENTIRE elementary school comes in and shops,,EVERY gift is $1.25.. Some are $40 gifts,,some maybe only $5- $6 . But ALL the kids get their families NICE gifts,,and we wrap them in whatever paper ,ribbon and tags they want. All for $1.25 each. We go to the City and drive around gawking at the Christmas lights,,it's a Big deal for us! So,to those of you that DO decorate,,Xpress,and ridered ,lol,,Thank you! It's worth it.

Mr_RPM
12-02-2011, 04:55 PM
i want to go shopping at your gift shop! haha
sounds like you really do alot for kids, thats awesome.

atc007
12-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Kids are ALL we have. ANY and ALL of us. Even if you have none. There is NO future without teaching these kiddos there is a whole nother world besides,abuse,neglect,,and Video games,,and texting,,and ,,,,,yeah... Anyhow,,that would be another rant and thread! Yes,we Love kids,we are a foster home also. We try our very best..and love our LED's ,,lol !

Orangecnty250r
12-02-2011, 08:02 PM
ATC 007....I was going to hit the china angle....you covered it for me!! They must be laughing at all of us over there for buying the same thing, over, over, and over again!!

atc007
12-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Yeah,,,my strong morals are quite easy for me to follow.... HAving said that,,,I have NO qualms whatsoever,,returning their crap back to them,over,and over,and over! There's an email going around,,instead of buying lights and TV's this year. Support ONE american,,go get your car detailed,or an oil change. Something that will STAY where you live! ..What a world.. Why don't I deal with those parts stranded in MI for ya Orangecty! lol..

Mr_RPM
12-03-2011, 10:01 PM
my dad went to meijer the yesterday day and bought non-led christmas lights.
100 light strands for $3.70
bought 4 of them. they all work fine....

WisconsinJohn
12-07-2011, 01:41 AM
Yeah, but they suck up so much more energy...try to be green! The LED bulbs will outlast 10 times any of the old lighting...And now I have led under cabinet lights with burned out bulbs less than 6 months later! Now I have to empty my cupboards and pull all the staples to remove them. WORST

bkm
12-07-2011, 02:58 AM
The saga continues. This morning I get home from work and they were working. My wife and kid leave for school and work at about 7am and its still kinda dark so they are still on. I look up at them not an hour after I have gotten home and the same 20 or so bulbs are out again, except this time they aren't dim so I don't know which one is causing it this time.

I just throw my hands up in the air and turn them off, go inside and go to bed.

I wake up this afternoon and get ready to leave for work and what do you know. They all work again.

I give up. If we get a decent day on my off day's I'm just gonna take that strand down and return it.

atc007
12-07-2011, 07:42 AM
My MO lately is,,We've returned FOUR friggin strings like that,,non led.. To Walmart,,they ALL do the same dam thing!! Work,not work,,,What I would pay for some AMERICAN made lights by people who had some WORK ETHIC....

Just-Tri-It
12-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Somebody's had their head at the exhaust port for too long....

Quote Originally Posted by Special Sauce of some new guy
MY YT175 will be the nicest hardtail 2 stroke 3 wheeler Play Bike on the internet. I would love it to see one Better but i won't will I.
20 Hp and 200 pounds with 10 inch travel forks and stock engine so far. Compare that to a Banshee- 40 hp and 400+ pounds. Or a atc is 310 dry and has 30 HP.
hmmmmm my bike sounds nasty? What you sayin now? And then there is the pilot? Tell you what- if you have more moves than me i will say Uncle!
Have you ever seen a 3 wheeler manual for 15 feet/ then wheely drop 6-10 feet down and have the rider throwing in various BMX tricks like no footers, 3 stars and landing the trike backwards? If you think im bullshitting I feel very sorry for you. So you must realize I am dead serious

Remember kids. Don't smoke Crack!

dcreel
12-07-2011, 06:41 PM
http://youtu.be/HFjI7gT1FvI

bkm
12-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Now that is bad ass! Now if I could only get my lights tuned to some Johnny Cash, Ring of Fire.

Mosh
12-07-2011, 08:30 PM
http://youtu.be/HFjI7gT1FvI

If you are gonna do it, that is the cats ass right there.
Thanks.

RIDE-RED 250r
12-07-2011, 10:43 PM
That was awesome! ......now where the he** is that little headbangin emoticon........

RamsesRibb
12-26-2011, 01:27 PM
I've been using some GE incandescent icicle lights for 5 years now. Never had a problem. I don't care about being green because all this global warming stuff is malarky. Anyway why do you want to leave all the fossil fuels for China to use.