PDA

View Full Version : pull start issues

mhollis
11-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Ok so i was out riding this weekend when my pull cord snapped in half. So i pulled off the case and tried to replace the cord but quickly relized that i didnt know where to start. So if someone can help me learn how to take off the pull cord so i can replace the broken one. I need pics to see whats going on. Ive found a couple threads that people have had on here about it, but i learn through seeing it done. Or if yall have a link to a video would be even better.

Honda 185s.

MonroeMike
11-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Chapter 9.
http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/honda/Honda_ATC185s_200_Service_Manual.pdf

tri again
11-29-2011, 04:05 PM
hmmm, hopefully the spring won't fly across the driveway.

If you're real careful, the pulley will come out..snap ring, washer, pulley, little spring or any other possible combination depending on how many people have been in there in the last 25 years.
and leave the big coil in the case.

New rope, but get the Right rope,
Lawnmower rope lasts about 3 pulls for some reason.
Wind it up and go one or 2 turns more so the rope retracts all the way.

I'll bet someone has posted a video.
Most say the first one takes an hour but after a couple fixes, they can do a rope change in mere minutes.

BiggDogg
01-03-2012, 05:36 PM
This just happened to me. I am trying to find some parachute cord I have laying around cuz that will last a little longer than a standard mower cord. I'm sure your local dealer has pull cords for sale as well. I googled it and youtube has allot of videos showing how to replace this cord. I'd apply a link but youtube is blocked here at work.

muthey
01-04-2012, 07:04 PM
I am in the process of doing three different type of pull start complete tear downs and reassembly videos, so be patient and there will be a post linking to them in the next day or so

ZacH_GrifF
01-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Its actually quite easy the shop service manual that Monroemike posted is very helpfull, its how i learned.

muthey
01-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Yes I agree it is easy but there are some little tricks that the manual doesn't tell as well especially when the main spring pulls out which is why I am posting videos. I can literally respring a pull start in under 2 minutes, but so many people have issues and try and figure out new ways of doing it that I am sharing my experiences for them. I am doing both types of honda and a yamaha 200k pull start, which is slightly different than a 225 pull start

muthey
01-06-2012, 10:52 AM
here is a copy to the link of the repair videos for you
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/139476-pull-start-repair-videos
they are complete tear downs and rebuild.